If Dean doesn't win NH (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:52:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  If Dean doesn't win NH (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Dean doesn't win NH  (Read 8956 times)
NHPolitico

« on: January 20, 2004, 10:35:54 PM »

WHAT SHOULD HE DO? I SAY DROP OUT AND GO BACK TO VT WHERE HE CAME FROM

He's from New York.
NHPolitico

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 11:03:30 PM »

And Gore's from TN, too, I guess, and not DC. Dean is a New Yorker who became governor of Vermont.
NHPolitico

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 06:54:41 AM »

whatever weither hes from NY or VT he should go back to whereever he clawed out from

My point is that I'm not sure Vermont would even take him. New York might.
NHPolitico

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 06:56:26 AM »

I see Dean staying in.  He has the money and organization.  Kerry is still strapped and has little organization in the Feb 3 states.  it will be interesting to see polls in those states now after IA.

That's what I got from that rally of his Monday night.  He's in this until all his supporters abandon him. I bet he thinks if he can keep winning delegates that he can maybe persuade the convention to give him the top spot on the ticket.
NHPolitico

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 08:52:33 AM »

And Gore's from TN, too, I guess, and not DC. Dean is a New Yorker who became governor of Vermont.

Gore was born in DC, but he IS a Tennesseean....and Dean was born in New York..but he IS a Vermonter.....President Bush was born in Connecticut...but he IS a Texan.

Wherever you RESIDE...that's where you are...whether it's your born state or not.

P.S. Sorry to say...Senator Hillary Clinton was born in Illinois...moved to Arkansas....but she now...IS a New Yorker....that's the way it works folks.

It's semantics, I guess.
NHPolitico

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 10:22:31 AM »

If Dean can just get 2d in NH, he should stay in it, maybe even 3rd.  This is now about delegates.  As bad as Dean got stomped in IA, it only broke 20-18-7 for Kerry-edwards-dean.  he should still beat Edwards and then head into Feb 3 states in good shape being more competitive in a number of states.  Kerry has no organization and has ignored these states.

Going to get interesting yet.

It comes down to whether Dean pulls out for party unity or whether he is in it to win it-- until it is mathematically impossible.  That point of math may not be until April or so.
NHPolitico

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 11:53:29 AM »

Latest NH tracking poll of 303 interviews...

1/21 poll +/- 6 points MOE
Kerry: 29 (no change)
Clark: 21 (up 3)
Dean: 17 (a fall of 7 points in one day)
Edwards: 10 (no change)
Undecided: 15 (up 4)

As the results for January 21 indicate, Howard Dean continues to lose support. This trend may continue as Dean's favorable continued to drop on January 21. In the 3-day sample ending January 19, 57% of likely Democratic primary voters had a favorable opinion of Dean, 19% had an unfavorable opinion of Dean, and 24% were aware of Dean but undecided. In the January 20 sample, 39% had a favorable opinion of Dean, 30% had an unfavorable opinion of Dean, and 31% were undecided. In the January 21 sample, 33% had a favorable opinion of Dean, 30% had an unfavorable opinion of Dean, and 37% were undecided. The movement from favorable to undecided signals a continuing drop in ballot preference for Dean.

NHPolitico

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2004, 12:02:30 PM »

The political fallout continued when former New Hampshire Sen. John Durkin told CNN he was withdrawing his endorsement of Dean in part because of Dean's Iowa comportment.

-----------------------------

Former US Senator John Durkin (D-NH) Endorses Howard Dean
For immediate release, 12/20/03
NH Press Office, 603-222-1900

MANCHESTER - Dean for America announced today that former United States Senator John Durkin (D-NH) endorsed Governor Howard Dean for President.

"I am deeply grateful to have the endorsement of Senator Durkin," said Governor Dean. "He has served his state well and fought hard for people here in New Hampshire. His experience and support will help us grow our Granite State campaign even more and help ensure our success in January and beyond."

"Governor Dean is bright; he's tough; he's honest; he's a Harry Truman Democrat who'll tell you what's what and tell you like it is, and that's a rare combination," said Senator Durkin. "People across America fear their jobs will be outsourced, their children won't be able to afford an education, or an illness would bankrupt their dreams. Governor Dean is the only hope for working people."

Speaking at the Manchester Public Library on Thursday, where he introduced Governor Dean before Dean's "Keeping the Promise of America" speech, Senator Durkin added, "Governor Dean is also the only hope for those who want to keep John Ashcroft out of this library and every other library in the country."

Senator Durkin served in the United States Navy and then practiced law in Manchester, New Hampshire. He has served as a New Hampshire Assistant Attorney General, New Hampshire Insurance Commissioner and finally as a member of the United States Senate from 1975 to 1980. He has since continued the practice of law in New Hampshire and is a resident of Manchester.
NHPolitico

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 12:06:04 PM »

should make for an interesting debate tonight!

One commentator noted that Dean can't go on the attack against Clark or Kerry or Edwards-- who have more momentum in NH-- because it just feeds into the Incredible Hulk stereotype of him. Dean is boxed in.

The tracking pollster also said that while Clinton fell and then bounced back to be the Comeback Kid, Dean doesn't have the time to do so. He'd be scheduled (based on Clinton's chronology) for an upward trajectory to begin on Election Day. Talk about a day late (and a dollar short)!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies