Should the Labor Party disband? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:32:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Should the Labor Party disband? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Should the Labor Party disband?  (Read 3537 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« on: April 27, 2021, 05:56:04 PM »

While I do think somewhat of a divide already exists on social issues

Curious to hear more elaboration on this. What social issues, and who are the major figures on each side?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 10:12:27 PM »

Seriously, if the opposition party isn't winning, perhaps lurch to the left instead of doubling down on conservatism?

Yeah this is the only real answer, I've long said if the right wants to win, they need to move left, a party that's neoliberal on economics, and comes out in favor of moderately pro choice and pro gun control positions, might make some inroads among moderates on the left. Maybe even a rebranding of the name entirely something like "Liberal Conservative party," "Liberal Party," "Liberal Democratic Party" all could be good names. If you want to narrow in on a specific type of moderate conservatism (i.e. ignore the guidelines earlier in my post) then "One Nation Tory Party" or "Rockefeller Republican Party" could also work.

Not sure how many moderate Labor voters that would pull over without alienating a large chunk of the party. Which would maybe put them in the middle of a three-party system (likely to end up as the UK's edition of your third name, albeit perhaps with some relative success if they can hold onto "main street Feds"), but I doubt it's effectiveness at winning a majority in a two-party system.

See, in the pre-Trump era, lots of Feds would be defined in RL terms as "moderate" or "libertarian," with only a few as "hard right" and some more in between/idiosyncratic. Post-Trump what is considered "hard right" is more mainstream, secular, and edgy so it's much more common on the forum than the likes of Classic/Ben/JCL were during the mid-2010s; meanwhile, libertarianism has withered away even more than it already was (hi) and the wishy-washy of the moderates either turned hot or cold when the mask came off US political discourse.

TL;DR: there is a wider gulf in the factions, this wouldn't work.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 11:37:09 AM »

Having more crossover appeal would help the Feds, but that =/= rebranding as a purely centrist/center-left party.

Quite a few voters would find that appalling, and while they would like the idea of winning they would see it pointless to "win" with policies so far from their own. Not a dig--the same thing would happen with myself and others in the Peace/Lab alliance if Labor rebranded to be center/center-right and gave themselves some generic name like "Conservative People's Alliance" or "National Republican Union" or "Jesus' Centrist Jamboree" or whatever.

TL;DR: dfw didn't change his username to "dfwliberalismlover"
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 01:08:03 AM »

tbf this isn't the French electorate.

How many people in Atlasia would like Macron?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies