Since when did R lost media and intellectuals? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:35:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Since when did R lost media and intellectuals? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Since when did R lost media and intellectuals?  (Read 1826 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« on: April 24, 2021, 03:08:04 PM »

I am very interested in the process how R lost the support of intellectuals and media. Before the early 1900s, R was more of a party of northeastern business and industrial elite and mid class, while D was a party of southern segregist white, western peasantry, Irish large city labors, Catholic, etc. I guess during that time intellectuals and media should lean R in general, although I haven't found rigorous studies.

Wilson and FDR swayed the intellectuals and media towards D, but I am not sure how strong that tendency was, or if they just started the trend.

I guess the 1960s may be the turning point, but am not 100% sure. After all R in general supported civil right, which was strongly opposed by southern segregist D. Nixon's law and order was not that blatantly racist and quite popular among mid class.

Now it seems R totally lost the intellectuals and media, and it's hard to see how they can win back or even stop the trend. But when did it become inevitable?
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 10:25:26 PM »

I am not sure if it was that fast. FDR was highly popular, but that doesn't mean media and intellectuals totally ditched R.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 10:50:02 PM »

One of the leading intellectuals of the first half of the 20th century was Columbia President Nicholas Murray Butler, who was a Republican Party man and an avowed liberal. Intellectuals had always tended to be on the liberal side of things, which in the 19th century meant with the Republicans and starting in the 1930s with the Democrats. There were also, however, many Southern intellectuals who promoted Lost Causeism and denounced Reconstruction, but in the liberal North intellectuals like Frederick Douglass and Walt Whitman were among Lincoln’s most important supporters.

Were Dems more conservative in social issues before 1930? I think the differences back then were mainly economic issues like tariff, free silver coins, etc. While southern Dems were racists against Black, northern large city Dems represents immigrants like Irish. I don't think R and D back then fit in the conservative vs liberal divide today.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 10:51:12 PM »

I made a thread asking which one was the last election in which the university professors and students voted more republican than the average of the country. Most of the people answered 1956.
Are there any statistics or research supporting that?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies