Since when did R lost media and intellectuals? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:39:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Since when did R lost media and intellectuals? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Since when did R lost media and intellectuals?  (Read 1825 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« on: May 05, 2021, 04:08:11 PM »
« edited: May 05, 2021, 06:16:07 PM by Alben Barkley »

The media didn't like FDR for the most part. Remember the infamous Reader's Digest poll suggesting that Landon would win in a landslide? That's because the magazine and its readership was overwhelmingly Republican and anti-FDR. They didn't like Truman either. The Chicago Tribune was eager to declare Dewey the winner for a reason, and NBC only had graphics prepared for a Republican victory. It wasn't just that they expected it; they wanted it.

"Intellectuals" might be a slightly different story, but while these candidates did have the backing of some (though not all) "intellectuals," they also were still very much populist candidates whose core base was the working class. I'd actually argue it was Ike who started to turn that around, with Stevenson being more of the "thinking man's candidate" and Ike more of a "man of the people." He still had the media too though; it was JFK who changed that more than anybody, and LBJ solidified that.

Oh and it didn’t hurt that the media hated Nixon. Always did, hence his infamous “Checkers” speech and “You don’t have Nixon to kick around anymore” outburst. And of course they ultimately helped bring him down. “Intellectuals” by and large didn’t care for him much either, and the feeling was mutual.

So I’d argue that was the turning point: The 60s with JFK, the “Camelot” superstar beloved by the media, vs. the sweaty, creepy Tricky Dick. Ford and even Reagan might not have gotten quite the same treatment, but by that time the media already had a “liberal” reputation. Watching some archival election night footage, you can even hear the newsroom groan when MA is called for Reagan in 1984. Although there was that horrible death penalty question given to Dukakis in 1988, and Tom Brokaw sounded upset when Dole lost in 1996... Still, overall I’d say the turning point was 1960 if I had to place it at any particular time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies