Is Atlas significantly less ideologically diverse than it was 10-15 years ago? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:45:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Atlas significantly less ideologically diverse than it was 10-15 years ago? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Atlas significantly less ideologically diverse than it was 10-15 years ago?  (Read 1744 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: April 21, 2021, 10:32:02 PM »
« edited: April 21, 2021, 11:05:09 PM by Virginiá »

I think part of it is basic demographics. Considering that young people are, overall, >60% Dem-leaning by presidential vote, and that these kinds of forums skew heavily towards college educated (or those on their way), you're looking at a much more Dem-leaning demographic. This is even more relevant in an era where both parties see little in common on just about everything, but even less than on political issues that interest them. A structural imbalance this sharp on a forum in the era of Donald Trump (even post) is exceedingly difficult for Republicans to weather given what Trump did to the GOP. I don't think this forum would ever likely be 50/50, but it probably had a better shot at maintaining a closer split had Trump not run in 2015.

Xahar really hit the nail on the head better than anyone else could. To highlight that with a recent specific example of modern discourse:  The conservative opinion that Donald Trump, the man who leaned heavily on the DoJ to investigate his political rivals, attempted to rig the census to boost Republicans, attempted to cripple the USPS in order to make all-mail voting unfeasible (due to common conservative belief that more voters hurts them), and generally went about as far as any modern president has gone in leveraging federal power to win an election, and then sent a mob of supporters to storm the capitol to shut down the EC certification, only "lost" the election because of massive fraud centered exclusively around battleground states he lost, implying he actually won in a landslide but had it stolen from him. Democrats counter this by saying that there is literally no evidence of meaningful amounts of fraud and that nearly the entire Republican Party now believes this lie simply because Trump stated it, and it of course fed into their pre-existing beliefs that elections they lose are stolen. Where does this fit in on a forum centered around political cartography and election results? This is literally YouTube comments section-level drivel. It's hard enough to believe millions of people, in the context I described, fully believe this. Not only is it difficult to have hope for America if this is the level of stupidity and gullibility present into the electorate., but it makes debate and the general exchange of information between said people ridiculous.

I think that touches on what Xahar says - that mainstream GOP opinion has become nothing but endless cultural grievances, troubling levels of racism and and nonsense conspiracy theories. There just isn't a whole lot to talk about unless you're already a partisan Republican, and the level to which others would have to suspend their disbelief to talk to people who in one way or another supported Donald Trump for years without getting irritated is just too steep. This is part of the price that must be paid for putting such a belligerent hypocritical agitator into office.

A while back, I made a post asking if Atlas had less active users than it had in its earlier past. I found out that statistically, the answer was no- there are actually more active users now (although not by much).

I don't mean to get too off-topic, but more than double the active users is considerably more than 'not by much.'
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 06:56:41 AM »

I disagree with Virginia that demographics dictate this, since conservatives on Atlas underperform even what pure demographics would dictate. I even made a thread about it here. It is very easy to see why Atlas shouldn't be majority Republican/conservative based off of demographics, but do Atlas conservatives even reach the estimation of 30% or so? I definitely don't think 1/3 of the forum voted for Trump but I may be wrong.

I don't think it fully describes the partisan makeup of the forum, but it makes a large contribution. Also consider that north of 30-40% of this forum (depending on the time and poll you use) is LGBT, which is a heavily Democratic group - male or female.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 07:24:07 AM »

Has there ever been any insight into why this forum has a significant LGBT presence?

I don't know. I used to wonder if it was because the forum developed a large group of LGBT users by chance some time ago, and then that kind of kept it going in perpetuity by signaling to unregistered LGBT lurkers/new users that it was a friendly space for them. But that still doesn't explain how it originally happened, so still a chicken & egg problem.

Another reason might be that LGBT youth are more likely to face social stigma and depression and as a result are more lonely and isolated than average. That would push people online to and into communities where they feel accepted. But, then again, nowadays that is less noteworthy because most people are online to some degree. Old-style forums like this are a lot less common, but only because the internet is constantly evolving. Massive "forum 2.0" sites like Reddit boast huge active user numbers. At any rate, I think all of this would be more relevant 15 years ago, when the internet was still somewhat novel to many people.

It's an interesting question but I don't think there is an easy answer.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 07:28:47 AM »

Oh it absolutely is a huge contribution; I am not denying that. My question is whether Republicans/Conservatives match at least the demographics they should have on paper.

Indeed for the LGBT example, if that was the only factor, you could expect perhaps something like this

65% of Forum is non-LGBT, splits 48% Conservative
35% of Forum is LGBT, splits 20% Conservative

Result of that would dictate a forum that is roughly 38% Right of centre if I am doing the math correctly. (of course, sexual orientation isn't the only demographic that matters)

I would be interested in seeing areas of study for future/existing college graduates here. That might help shed some light on partisan identities. Some professions attract significantly more conservatives on average, and vice versa.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies