Arizona House passes bill to stop some voters from automatically receiving mail-in ballots
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:43:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arizona House passes bill to stop some voters from automatically receiving mail-in ballots
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arizona House passes bill to stop some voters from automatically receiving mail-in ballots  (Read 717 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2021, 02:17:56 PM »

Republicans are at it again.

AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 03:27:38 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 03:44:08 PM by AZDem »

Does the AZ GOP really think this will benefit them? Don't they realize that as mail-in ballots were counted both Trump and McSally gained ground and made the results closer than what they first appeared? Same thing happened in the '18 Senate race.

This is one state where mail-in voting has benefits them and it's been going on here for well over 10 years, maybe longer. I guess they really are that stupid, huh?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 03:29:36 PM »

Guess which state a huge SCOTUS voting rights case is coming from?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 03:32:47 PM »

CC: Senator Sinema.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 05:20:16 PM »

Look, we could make temporary gains like securing people’s voting rights, but it would cost the most important feature of our democracy, Kyrsten Sinema’s friendship with Ted Cruz.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 06:14:53 PM »

Which voters won't receive ballots?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 10:59:47 PM »

A voter would be removed from the permanent early voter list only if a voter did not vote in any of the previous "two election cycles," per a House amendment to the bill.

I give it another major election loss in Arizona before a final attempt is made by Republicans to repeal the permanent absentee list in AZ. It just seems inevitable with growing majorities of absentee voters being Democrats in competitive states. Eventually, the intense desire to maintain power is going to collide with the general electorate's preference for absentee voting, and lust for power almost always wins.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 11:20:45 PM »

I’m honestly terrified at what the Republican Party is going to do when they take office again. It’s probably the political horror I anguish over the most in my night terrors after worker declines in the first world and thermonuclear war with China.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 03:24:14 AM »

Dread it, run from it, Atlas red Arizona comes at you all the same, AZ GOP!
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 04:41:50 AM »

I've never even understood why so many are opposed to sending absentee ballot applications unless you have an explicit goal of attempting to reduce the number of voters.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 08:29:01 AM »

Self goal?
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 08:36:06 AM »

I’m honestly terrified at what the Republican Party is going to do when they take office again. It’s probably the political horror I anguish over the most in my night terrors after worker declines in the first world and thermonuclear war with China.
Bla-bla-blah.. after 4 years of President Trump nothing of this sort ever happened, just more fear-propaganda to have an excuse to vote for lackluster dems Smiley
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 09:02:48 AM »

Bla-bla-blah.. after 4 years of President Trump nothing of this sort ever happened, just more fear-propaganda to have an excuse to vote for lackluster dems Smiley

Just an insurrection happened and massive pressure on statewide elected officials to overturn a duly election. Now that they figured out all the previous voter suppression wasn't enough, they're going a step further. Don't even bother to convince swing voters anymore.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 12:33:43 PM »

Now that COVID is going away VBM isn't as neccesary anymore, but if people still want to VBM and are unsure if they are automatically registered, they can just check online and sign up again if they aren't or request a ballot by mail manually.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 05:07:34 PM »

Look, we could make temporary gains like securing people’s voting rights, but it would cost the most important feature of our democracy, Kyrsten Sinema’s friendship with Ted Cruz.

She's actually friends with Ted Cruz?? The guy even 90% of the Republican caucus can't personally stand??
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 05:08:34 PM »

Dread it, run from it, Atlas red Arizona comes at you all the same, AZ GOP!

True, but they will go down fighting every step of the way.

Republicans in shifting Sun Belt states like Georgia, North Carolina and Arizona all look to Virginia with Dread as to what could happen.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 06:58:54 PM »

Surprise!  The bill fails (at least temporarily) in the state Senate.

A bill that would stop some voters from getting a ballot automatically mailed to them each election failed unexpectedly in Arizona’s state Senate Thursday after a single Republican joined Democrats in voting against the legislation.

GOP state Sen. Kelly Townsend explained her surprise "no" vote on the state Senate floor amid a tense episode that saw the senator get into a heated confrontation with the bill's sponsor and the pair attempt to silence each other with parliamentary rules.

"I am for this bill, but I am not voting for it until after the audit," she said, referring to an audit orchestrated by Senate Republicans of the 2020 election results in Maricopa County reportedly set to get underway this week. President Joe Biden narrowly won the state.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/lone-arizona-republican-votes-no-blocking-passage-voting-bill-n1264885
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 08:55:03 PM »

Does the AZ GOP really think this will benefit them? Don't they realize that as mail-in ballots were counted both Trump and McSally gained ground and made the results closer than what they first appeared? Same thing happened in the '18 Senate race.

This is one state where mail-in voting has benefits them and it's been going on here for well over 10 years, maybe longer. I guess they really are that stupid, huh?

The olds in AZ and FL love mail in voting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies