Biden to Pledge the U.S. Will Cut its Greenhouse Gas Emissions by (Nearly) Half
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:30:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden to Pledge the U.S. Will Cut its Greenhouse Gas Emissions by (Nearly) Half
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden to Pledge the U.S. Will Cut its Greenhouse Gas Emissions by (Nearly) Half  (Read 872 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »
« edited: April 20, 2021, 10:26:07 PM by America Needs Kali »

With Earth Day just a couple of days away:

emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 08:15:31 AM »

Great if it happens but I highly doubt it will. Emissions have been approx flat since 1990. All the efficiency improvements and moves to greener energy haven't kept up with the population growth.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 09:05:16 AM »

Have to admit (again) that I underestimated Biden's willingness to bring about permanent changes and his commitment to reforms instead of just a return to a pre-Trump status-quo again.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 09:14:56 AM »

Have to admit (again) that I underestimated Biden's willingness to bring about permanent changes and his commitment to reforms instead of just a return to a pre-Trump status-quo again.

Why the underestimation? His Congressional record was pretty solid on climate change and environmental topics. He got the Global Climate Protection Act signed into law in 1987 (under Reagan!) and co-sponsored (co-authored?) Sanders' climate bill in 2007. He's been pretty consistent on environmental topics, just as he has been on taxing and spending.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »

Why the underestimation? His Congressional record was pretty solid on climate change and environmental topics. He got the Global Climate Protection Act signed into law in 1987 (under Reagan!) and co-sponsored (co-authored?) Sanders' climate bill in 2007. He's been pretty consistent on environmental topics, just as he has been on taxing and spending.

In the primaries, he was largely seen as status-quo candidate and kind of sounded like his main ambition was just undo Trump's policies and return to the Obamaera. It was a wrong perception by observers and parts of the media. I freely admit that. In retrospect, I'm glad I voted for him the primaries after Harris' dropout.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 09:49:56 AM »

I'd love if this happened, but I don't think it will. The Supreme Court will overrule it.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 09:59:08 AM »

I'd love if this happened, but I don't think it will. The Supreme Court will overrule it.

We don't even know what form "it" will take yet, so your pessimism isn't really fair.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 10:41:21 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 11:40:14 AM by GP270watch »

The Unites States needs to set a big goal like this and hope we can get as close to it as possible. Solar has reached a great price point but is still burdened by upfront costs. This is where government can help people subsidize or write off the value of a solar panel array. That is just one of many examples of how government can allocate resources to have a better solution towards energy policy.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 10:42:13 AM »

In the primaries, he was largely seen as status-quo candidate and kind of sounded like his main ambition was just undo Trump's policies and return to the Obamaera. It was a wrong perception by observers and parts of the media. I freely admit that. In retrospect, I'm glad I voted for him the primaries after Harris' dropout.

This was just how the media portrayed him for the sake of an easy narrative.  It was never true, and Biden supporters spent 2 years trying to tell everyone this.

Next primary I suggest people try actually listening to what the candidates are saying and judging them based on that, instead of letting the media tell them who the candidates are and then judging everything they say as a political move rather than a serious commitment.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 11:01:05 AM »

Great if it happens but I highly doubt it will. Emissions have been approx flat since 1990. All the efficiency improvements and moves to greener energy haven't kept up with the population growth.

Yet another reason why the "overshoot" angle needs to be taken way, way more seriously by Democrats, especially the ones who care (or pretend to care) about climate change.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 01:39:06 PM »

The issue is less the electrical grid, more irritating sources of emissions that are tricky to get rid of: transport, industry, housing and land use.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 01:53:27 PM »

Fantastic news!

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 03:01:16 PM »

He was wrongly portrayed as such by both the American and international news media. I remember reputable German papers writing he has no program and just wants to go back to 2015 and pretend as if nothing ever happened in between. It was always a lazy analysis just because Uncle Joe didn't move as far to the left as others and because he talked about compromise with Republicans to get things done. Politics is the art of the possible, and we're witnessing a president, who's going as far in passing meaningful, practicable progressive reforms as one could in this political climate and congressional makeup. Because it turns out that a president knowing how Washington works is better than tweeting or giving Sunday speeches.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 05:39:21 AM »

'Biden CANCELS co2 emissions.'
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 10:06:19 AM »

Very ambitious target.
Probably will be near impossible to get there, that quickly.
But I applaud any effort to reduce/control emissions, as much as possible.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 10:08:23 AM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 10:11:37 AM »

Democrats and Republicans Alike are Asking:  When Will Biden Address the Cancel Culture Crisis?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 12:13:28 PM »

Cut in half comparing to 2005.

From the same article.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 01:36:59 PM »

Oh man, I love what I'm seeing here. If the two trillion infrastructure and jobs plan can get passed with historic investments in renewable energy, Joe Biden will become one of the most successful presidents in modern American history. The fact that this conference was joined by so many heads of state, including from adversaries like China and Russia is a pretty big deal in itsself.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 01:51:37 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 02:48:30 PM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 03:42:23 PM »

If people are wanting to be serious about protecting the environment and reducing are destruction of it, then they need to address the hard truth of animal agriculture and its impacts on the environment. Anything that doesn’t include that isn’t truly serious about addressing climate change and environmental destruction.

Scapegoating the fossil fuel industry while ignoring the elephant in the room isn’t problem solving, sorry.
Omega21

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 03:49:24 PM »

Cut in half comparing to 2005.

From the same article.

Kind of interesting how the worst offenders try to portray themselves as green leaders.

So, basically, even if they cut to 50% of their 2019 levels, the EU would still be greener even if it did nothing lol
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies