USDA announces free lunches for all students through 2021-22 school year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:48:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  USDA announces free lunches for all students through 2021-22 school year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: USDA announces free lunches for all students through 2021-22 school year  (Read 1045 times)
GlobeSoc
The walrus

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 03:58:20 AM »

NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH shoots the poor in a McAbrams
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 05:18:52 AM »

Another Democrat handout to the upper middle class. Roll Eyes

Guess you never went hungry at school then eh?

Libertarians live in a different world from everybody else.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 07:49:56 AM »

LOL! Seriously though, even I have some reservations about this policy. I adamantly support that Lowe and lower-income families have absolute unqualified access to free or severely reduced school lunches. I further fully believe that if there's any doubt as to whether or not a family should qualify, err on the side of caution and qualify them. Even with this in my mind, though, the social spending dollars are fungible and limited. Some of these free lunches will of course go to upper-income kids whose families have no need for such subsidies whatsoever, where such funds could be better spent on any number of other social spending or in the structure needs.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 07:58:56 AM by Nutmeg »

This was how I got through elementary school, before my parents were able to afford to make me lunch starting in 5th grade. I think I've written about this here before, but the very kind cafeteria workers almost always would give me a little lagniappe to take home as an after-school snack/dinner while my parents were working. Not sure what I would have done without that.

Not all charity is for naught, my libertarian friends. Smiley
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 09:40:40 AM »

If everyone is legally entitled to a free lunch, schools would be obligated to produce enough meals for every eligible student, whether they eat it or not. This would possibly over double the cost of the school lunch program, increase food waste, and do nothing to help poor families. Forgive me if I would rather see those billions either not spent at all (there's an idea...) or directed towards programs that actually serve the public, instead of another case of politicians spending money just for a headline and not even helping people in the process.

Ah yes. Time to eat disgusting reheated slop, kids! You don’t deserve better! It’s not like we expect you to take care of us in old age or take up positions we once held! Your success doesn’t matter, all because we decided decades ago to be penny-wise, dollar-foolish! We’re going to mess up your relationship with food for years and make it into a subject of shame and self-hatred, rather than a genuine and good experience!
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 09:55:01 AM »

If everyone is legally entitled to a free lunch, schools would be obligated to produce enough meals for every eligible student, whether they eat it or not. This would possibly over double the cost of the school lunch program, increase food waste, and do nothing to help poor families. Forgive me if I would rather see those billions either not spent at all (there's an idea...) or directed towards programs that actually serve the public, instead of another case of politicians spending money just for a headline and not even helping people in the process.
Bulk buying Ingredients is extremely cheap, I doubt that cost is a significant part of the SNAP budget.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 11:16:35 AM »

Imagine getting mad that Biden is giving food to children
Jay 🏳️‍⚧️
trippytropicana
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 11:38:07 AM »

I'm pretty sure that in 1st period or homeroom students choose whether they are having lunch that day and you get a ticket or whatnot and then they lunch ladies know what how many to cook for.

My school went for the tried and true approach of not cooking enough food and then making everyone wait in line for 20 minutes (our lunch periods were only 25!) while the food had to be cooked
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2021, 01:49:56 PM »

Ah yes. Time to eat disgusting reheated slop, kids! You don’t deserve better! It’s not like we expect you to take care of us in old age or take up positions we once held! Your success doesn’t matter, all because we decided decades ago to be penny-wise, dollar-foolish! We’re going to mess up your relationship with food for years and make it into a subject of shame and self-hatred, rather than a genuine and good experience!

Poor kids already get free or nominal price lunches. This does nothing about making those lunches better.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2021, 04:50:47 PM »

This is a Puerto Rican school lunch. I had these all throughout K-12, and they were all cost-free to students and staff (breakfasts also if you arrived at least 15 minutes before the morning bell rang).

this not look good, i've not school lunch, but at university the dinner looked best of this and the university canteens were not famous for their level
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2021, 04:55:26 PM »

This is a Puerto Rican school lunch. I had these all throughout K-12, and they were all cost-free to students and staff (breakfasts also if you arrived at least 15 minutes before the morning bell rang).

this not look good, i've not school lunch, but at university the dinner looked best of this and the university canteens were not famous for their level

Everything was made on the same day (except for those canned peaches, which I always passed on), and it tasted great. The food provided should be nutritious and taste well. It shouldn't have restaurant-style presentation. If you want that, you can buy food from a restaurant.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2021, 05:47:30 PM »

The trouble is not the dish
high: canned peaches, what is the 2nd??, i hate the chicken
low: what is??, beans or an other legume they look fine, plain rice??

at my university time this will started a canteen occupation

ok, but the joke, actually probably we actually will go to the occupy canteen slogan if not in the fact, you can choice different food?

it's not usual  in US/Puertorico that a canteen did the food same day? we had get from the university canteen new food for lunch and dinner, i bought a meal (4 course) at ~1.25 $ in 1991
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2021, 08:23:50 PM »

ok, but the joke, actually probably we actually will go to the occupy canteen slogan if not in the fact, you can choice different food?

I think the middle top is a pouch of milk with a straw. No idea what the bottom left is.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 01:31:40 AM »

I think the middle top is a pouch of milk with a straw. No idea what the bottom left is.

Bottom left is ñame, a local root that is a complex carbohydrate and a staple in most rural households in PR. The top right is a PR-style pork chop.

Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 08:38:00 AM »

Woild be good if they didnt serve trash for lunches. How about veggies fruits and whole grains instead of junk like sugar milk and chicken nuggets?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2021, 05:33:09 PM »

Woild be good if they didnt serve trash for lunches. How about veggies fruits and whole grains instead of junk like sugar milk and chicken nuggets?

The same reason hovering over this debate. $$$
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2021, 05:34:31 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2021, 05:44:31 PM by lfromnj »

What no?

Healthy food doesn't cost more to buy than  Junk Food. Maybe preparation can take a bit longer but mass preparation in a school cafeteria cancels that out. The answer is that kids just won't eat it lol.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2021, 05:43:49 PM »

What no?

Healthy food doesn't cost more to buy than  Junk Food. Maybe preparation can take a bit longer but mess preparation in a school cafeteria cancels that out. The answer is that kids just won't eat it lol.

That's not completely untrue that it's less desirable, but preparation cost is huge when it comes to mass meals like school lunches.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2021, 05:53:06 PM »

Its worth the cost as it means less obesity and therefore a healthier populatikn. Better ingrain good eating habits and lowers future medical costs. Nutrition needs to be taught in school in detail. Most people are clueless and even supposed "experts" think they know a lot because they listen to someone on youtube pitching a fad "health diet"

And of the kids wont eatit then they go without. No reason to feed them trash just because its all they will eat. They will learn to not eat trash when they get hungry.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies