What is Gnosticism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:34:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What is Gnosticism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is Gnosticism  (Read 518 times)
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2021, 01:33:58 PM »

Can anyone here explain Gnosticism to me? I've read the Wikipedia and am more confused now. I've heard various things described as being "Gnostic" or taking influence from Gnosticism. What the hell is it?
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 04:39:58 AM »

Bored old men pulling abstractions and philosophies from their nether-regions because they literally had nothing else better to do. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 09:20:41 AM »

The most succinctly I’ve ever heard it described is basically the idea that salvation comes from “gnosis” or knowledge of God as revealed by Jesus Christ.  The knowledge of God revealed by Christ is what saves humanity, not an atoning sacrifice at the cross.  The Gnostic Gospel of Thomas doesn’t even contain a crucifixition narrative, IIRC

In a specific first-century context, Gnosticism was also wrapped up in Hellenistic Paganism - which is where it picked up its connotations of mysticism, orgies and the like. 
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 03:04:00 PM »

Its core claim was that the god who created the material world was not Almighty God, but a lesser deity in the celestial hierarchy (an idea it got from Plato). From this it follows that the cosmos was botched from the beginning and the human soul must achieve some sort of enlightenment in order to ascend from the material realm to the eternal. Some gnostics identified the creator of this world (generically called the "demiurge", which is what Plato called him, but different sects had their own names) with Yahweh, from whose harsh rule Jesus was sent to deliver us, thus in their minds resolving the contradiction they saw between the character of Yahweh and the character of the Heavenly Father that Jesus spoke of.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 07:56:25 PM »

Heresy.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 07:16:48 PM »

Can anyone here explain Gnosticism to me? I've read the Wikipedia and am more confused now. I've heard various things described as being "Gnostic" or taking influence from Gnosticism. What the hell is it?

It's a bit of a confusing term because Gnosticism was never a defined sect but a vague intellectual current in the soup of Platonic, Jewish, Christian, Zoroastrian, Egyptian pagan and possibly Oriental-influenced beliefs that were circulating around the cosmopolitan Roman Empire of the 2nd and 3rd centuries. Broadly speaking it was the idea that the material world is evil and salvation comes from self-knowledge (gnosis) that one's soul is a spark of the divine separate from the body. Although some people like Marcion get lumped in with this movement as "Gnostic" when they didn't have much to do with the above. Really elaborate cosmologies were built out of this stuff that yeah confuse everyone today, incentivised by the doctrine that secret metaphysical knowledge equalled salvation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies