New Unicameral-Subregional Plan Proposal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:08:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New Unicameral-Subregional Plan Proposal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: New Unicameral-Subregional Plan Proposal  (Read 3425 times)
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2021, 10:37:39 AM »

Yankee, supporting unicameralism? Wow.

Its an interesting plan, though I do fully expect people to vote in the wrong subregional elections. Is there any plan for making this easy to understand to those who don't already know about this change?
I suggest that regional election administrators put a picture of a map in the voting booth showing which states are in which subregion. Some voters did get confused by the regional consolidation in 2016, but I guess this is a change that will be easier for certain voters to accept since it leaves our regions as they are.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2021, 10:47:55 AM »

Its an interesting plan, though I do fully expect people to vote in the wrong subregional elections. Is there any plan for making this easy to understand to those who don't already know about this change?
I suggest that regional election administrators put a picture of a map in the voting booth showing which states are in which subregion. Some voters did get confused by the regional consolidation in 2016, but I guess this is a change that will be easier for certain voters to accept since it leaves our regions as they are.
The old IDS had districts, and they had a map in the voting booth.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 10:48:28 AM »

Will we limit each region's number of officeholders to account for the increase in federal offices?

100% supportive of the plan, btw.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2021, 10:56:33 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2021, 11:47:27 AM by Southern Governor LouisvilleThunder »

Will we limit each region's number of officeholders to account for the increase in federal offices?

100% supportive of the plan, btw.
I figure that if there are more opportunities for people to get elected to the Senate, we'd see fewer 7 member regional chambers since in most cases they only really happen due to parties being concerned about managing the partisan composition of them by having more candidates run. With the strategic registration barriers and voting requirements set in place under this plan, we'd hopefully see less of that in the regions.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 11:10:28 AM »

The old IDS had districts, and they had a map in the voting booth.

We actually referenced this in the discussions last night and it played a role in the selection of the map division for the South.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2021, 11:21:16 AM »

Exciting stuff! That I would be glad to support!

Mildly concerned about the weird Southern division but if that's what y'all think is best...
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2021, 11:23:04 AM »

Mildly concerned about the weird Southern division but if that's what y'all think is best...

Its loosely based on the 2014 IDS district map and balances population somewhat. It also happens to be divided based on states that seceded before Ft. Sumter and those that seceded after though that wasn't why it was selected its funny to note.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2021, 11:34:30 AM »

Its only an increase of three as the would be no sub regional government to worry about. As for the cap on regional legislatures, I have long been favorable to the idea within reason for the sake of regional stability. However, I am nearly alone in that view on the right and even some on the left have popped up to oppose it at points.

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2021, 11:34:31 AM »

How will At-Large Senate vacancies be handled, will there be special elections like there was pre-reset, or will it be filled via party appointment?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2021, 11:35:18 AM »

Idk I feel like the weirder one is Fremont, does that actually evenly split the region's in-game population?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2021, 11:36:46 AM »

Bicameralism was the deal for regional consolidation, this unpacks the Regional Senate in the hope of restoring competition so as long as the numbers are equal between the regional and at-large representation, I am okay with it.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2021, 11:38:03 AM »

Idk I feel like the weirder one is Fremont, does that actually evenly split the region's in-game population?
California big. 'Nuff said.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2021, 11:38:51 AM »

I was told it was but Fremont was not discussed as much as the other two. The most discussion occurred on the South, with Lincoln in second.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2021, 11:42:45 AM »

How will At-Large Senate vacancies be handled, will there be special elections like there was pre-reset, or will it be filled via party appointment?

I prefer to keep them as they are by party appointment since 51% shouldn't replace a seat elected by 11%.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2021, 11:59:01 AM »

Also, will the DPOCship be abolished?
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2021, 12:09:44 PM »

Also, will the DPOCship be abolished?
Yes.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2021, 12:17:38 PM »

Some interesting ideas here. I will likely need more information about how this will operate and ways to prevent voters from becoming confused about this new set-up. Great work though.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2021, 12:20:43 PM »

How would this increase activity?
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2021, 12:44:23 PM »

How would this increase activity?

I did partially address this point here.

The premise behind expanding it is that in a unicameral system every vote matters equally and that it is harder to get a situation like the current congress where you have a senate majority of 4 hardline Labor hacks potentially overruling any interesting idea proposed by the minority in the House but is able to pass there on the votes of more mavericky members such as MB or Ishan. Oftentimes the situation is reversed with the House being far more partisan than the Senate. It also makes it so that all 3 Southern Senate seats valuable since it's not so unbearably hard to have a tied Senate in this unicameral proposal. Activity is bound to be driven by incentives, and I do think that this proposal gives more incentives and opportunity for anyone who gets elected to make an impact in serving.

It basically is a set up that makes it so that more bills can actually have a chance of passage since the tipping point vote in the Senate would be more likely to be moderate or less hackish even if there's an overall Labor majority. It also makes it much easier for us to pass an agenda which I think will be more conducive to promoting activity in a situation where every vote actually matters. Of course inactive members will always be bound to be elected occasionally but the system is designed to captivate as much interest as possible.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2021, 12:47:28 PM »

Some interesting ideas here. I will likely need more information about how this will operate and ways to prevent voters from becoming confused about this new set-up. Great work though.
As with any system it will be something new for people to get used to. I do expect that those who conduct gotv efforts to know how to provide guidance on which election their voters should vote in and know which voters are in which subregion. We do plan on continuing to have more questions and details of the transition hashed out in the congressional debate.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2021, 01:21:10 PM »

On the current census it comes out to 32 in the Pacific and 35 in the Mountain west. Mostly skewed by the fact that 20 are in CA (and a further 7 in WA).
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2021, 01:27:49 PM »

I think (at least for the first couple of elections) providing a list of which voter goes to which subregion wouldn’t hurt as well.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2021, 01:47:42 PM »

I think (at least for the first couple of elections) providing a list of which voter goes to which subregion wouldn’t hurt as well.
It probably should be sorted by subregion on the census with a column indicating when a person becomes eligible to vote after moving to another subregion when it happens.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2021, 02:10:29 PM »

Another question - if this is theoretically passed and implemented for the June elections, would it trigger a special election for all seats, or would the subregional seats not be elected until August?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2021, 02:13:09 PM »

Another question - if this is theoretically passed and implemented for the June elections, would it trigger a special election for all seats, or would the subregional seats not be elected until August?
They’d all be held in June
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies