Lightfoot Sex & Domestic Violence Scandal/Resignation Watch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:39:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Lightfoot Sex & Domestic Violence Scandal/Resignation Watch
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lightfoot Sex & Domestic Violence Scandal/Resignation Watch  (Read 1432 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:01:24 AM »

Not sure what's fact & what's conjecture right now but there are currently rumors abound on Twitter that Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is gonna be resigning from office tomorrow after allegedly engaging in an extramarital affair with a member of her security detail & then assaulting her wife when confronted over it, an incident to which the police were called. I don't know if anything will actually come of this or if it's just Twitter being Twitter but figured I'd start a thread for it just in case.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 01:04:01 AM »

Damn, I never would have guessed Lightfoot would do something like this. I hope she resigns if true
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 01:35:46 AM »

Damn, I never would have guessed Lightfoot would do something like this.

Or to put it more honestly, I never would have guessed that anyone would do something like this with Lori Lightfoot.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 01:38:58 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2021, 01:42:35 AM by brucejoel99 »

Just as an informational heads-up in case this ends up actually being true: such a resignation would be coming too late into her term for there to be a special election (there would've been one had she resigned with more than 28 months left in her term, but only 25 months remain in her term right now, so the next election will just be the next regular election in early 2023), & IL law dictates that the Vice Mayor, Alderman Tom Tunney, would immediately become Interim Mayor upon Lightfoot's resignation & would continue serving as such 'til the City Council decides to re-convene & elect by majority vote an Alderman - who could potentially but not necessarily be Tunney himself - to serve as Acting Mayor for the remainder of the term (i.e., through May 15th, 2023), though if the City Council were to just be content with Tunney & thus decide to forego such an election as a result, then he'd just remain Interim Mayor for the remainder of the term. In either eventuality, a quirk of precedent dictates that he'd still be counted as the 57th Mayor of Chicago. He'd also be the 2nd openly gay person to serve as Mayor of Chicago, after Lightfoot herself.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 09:22:15 AM »

Lightfoot's mayoralty certainly has turned out to be a disaster, as she is no better than her predecessor, Rahm Emanuel.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 03:39:39 PM »

I'm sure Chicago is very disappointed in her after her big landslide win. I didn't think she was a saint but didn't see this coming.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 03:44:21 PM »

"Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot calls Twitter rumors ‘homophobic, racist and misogynistic,’ indicates she is not resigning"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-chicago-mayor-lori-lightfoot-responds-twitter-20210418-6hqriwl3yrexpitmgzf2jwj4v4-story.html
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 03:56:23 PM »

allegedly engaging in an extramarital affair with a member of her security detail & then assaulting her wife when confronted over it

That was quite a Heavyhand reaction.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 03:59:55 PM »

"Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot calls Twitter rumors ‘homophobic, racist and misogynistic,’ indicates she is not resigning"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-chicago-mayor-lori-lightfoot-responds-twitter-20210418-6hqriwl3yrexpitmgzf2jwj4v4-story.html

The ironic (or not) thing is that we have an active thread about leguenpresse.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 04:54:25 PM »

Look long and hard into those eyes...

And ask yourself if you are surprised.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 05:05:53 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2021, 06:03:46 PM by US Senator Michael Bennet from the State of Colorado »

I could forgive her if it was just a case of simple “cheating” on her wife...but domestic violence against a loved one is never acceptable. It’s time for her to get the f**k out if these allegations are true.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 05:11:51 PM »

I could forgive her if it was just a case of simple “cheating” on her wife...but domestic violence against a loved one is never acceptable. It’s time for her to get the f**k out.

Is there any evidence that actually happened?  Genuinely curious.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 05:28:06 PM »

I'm sure Chicago is very disappointed in her after her big landslide win. I didn't think she was a saint but didn't see this coming.

I thought she'd at least have a chance at turning things around. If anything the city is even worse off now.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 05:31:03 PM »

Should we be worried that, while these are the first three things she calls these reports, but not false? I mean, she later on in her statement mentions the media printing this type of trash as truth, but my Spidey senses always go off when I'm politician denies negative reports by attacking the source rather than flat out saying it's a lie.

Hardly conclusive I readily admit, but at least initially somewhat concerning.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 06:00:43 PM »

I could forgive her if it was just a case of simple “cheating” on her wife...but domestic violence against a loved one is never acceptable. It’s time for her to get the f**k out.
I disagree it's time to sit the f**k down and wait for some actual evidence and not just twitter rumors.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 06:03:35 PM »

All the articles i've seen so far just say they're rumors.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 06:38:46 PM »

There are rumors of police bodycam footage of their responding to the domestic violence call, but it's still just "rumors."
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 08:41:30 PM »

So she’s taking the Trump-Cuomo method of “no you”
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 08:49:47 PM »

It's hard to treat this very seriously when all that points towards this being true is the Twitter rumor mill.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 09:21:02 PM »

If the police were called to the scene and a report filed, then it's a matter of public record.  It wouldn't be anything more substantial than "Police were called to such an address at such and such time" however   
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 09:50:57 PM »

Lightfoot isn't resigning
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: