What can be done to restore trust in the American news media?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What can be done to restore trust in the American news media?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What can be done to restore trust in the American news media?  (Read 1512 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2021, 07:36:30 PM »

Local and national, CBS, NBC, ABC, CW, CNN, yes, even MSNBC and Fox News, OAN, etc.

I'm talking local news too. A lot of people don't trust local news. A lot of people get their news from Facebook as well......

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 07:44:15 PM »

Local and national, CBS, NBC, ABC, CW, CNN, yes, even MSNBC and Fox News, OAN, etc.

I'm talking local news too. A lot of people don't trust local news. A lot of people get their news from Facebook as well......

“By Facebook” you mean not from the fb feeds of the preceding organizations.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 08:02:01 PM »

change the face and culture of journalism. Tell the people important information about the world, basically tell it straight.
- Dont push a ideological or partisan agenda
- Dont push your cultural values onto people
- Dont treat readers like idiots
- Understand a lot of leaders and people dont always act in a good faith
- dont push unnecessary conflict and division.
- Make journalism an everyday man job, not something for elites
- dont do gotcha journalism, keep it professional
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 08:03:38 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2021, 08:06:46 PM by Roll Roons »

I think this is an important question to consider.

Somehow the media manages to be the f**king worst at everything. They breathlessly cover lunatics like Trump and now MTG, giving them attention that they really shouldn't be getting. And it's more "mainstream" outlets that do this, not just Fox/Newsmax/OAN.

There's also the constant doom-mongering about everything COVID (spreading b******t about how "We DON'T kNOW iF THE vaCcINEs wORK" when they very clearly do to great effect, and it's not just Tucker who says this) and unfairness in reporting it. Contrast their worship of Cuomo with the demonization of DeSantis. Which governor has by far the higher per capita death rate?

I hate the media so much. They are enemy of the people. I don't know what the solution is, but they are destroying our country and must be stopped.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 08:13:33 PM »

Somehow the media manages to be the f**king worst at everything. They breathlessly cover lunatics like Trump and now MTG, giving them attention that they really shouldn't be getting. And it's more "mainstream" outlets that do this, not just Fox/Newsmax/OAN.

There's also the constant doom-mongering about everything COVID (spreading b******t about how "We DON'T kNOW iF THE vaCcINEs wORK" when they very clearly do to great effect, and it's not just Tucker who says this) and unfairness in reporting it. Contrast their worship of Cuomo with the demonization of DeSantis. Which governor has by far the higher per capita death rate?

I hate the media so much. They are enemy of the people. I don't know what the solution is, but they are destroying our country and must be stopped.

Wow.....
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 09:04:13 PM »

It's called CSPAN when you are tired of cable lies, you can always turn to CSPAN, you call in with your own viewpoints
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 09:13:55 PM »

The irony is that you sound like a Trumpist here.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 09:22:43 PM »

The irony is that you sound like a Trumpist here.

Perhaps. But that shows how strongly I feel about this. And as I said, my feeling towards the media stem in part from how they've covered Trump and led to his rise. And now they're not only continuing to cover him despite him being a loser who left office in disgrace, but they've been repeating it with their coverage of MTG.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 10:32:49 PM »

Reinstating the Fairness Doctrine. It's demise thanks to Saint Raygun is one of the reasons why our current political situation is so f***** right now.
Asta

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 10:34:46 PM »

Not much.

Decline of trust in media is a worldwide phenomenon, not just that of America. Unlike what people claim, the media hasn't changed much as much as the technological development and our cultural adaptation to it. Wide availability of multiple news sources has produced Dunning-Kruger effect, in which people habitually overestimate their knowledge and abilities and Trump is just a symptom of this phenomenon. People routinely go unpunished for saying the most absurd conjectures. Even the average joe can create a YouTube channel distorting the conventional news and replacing it with Pepe the frog memes.

In the world in which attention span of people is so short, and refusal to read the articles or admit ever being wrong in political discourse is increasing, people will stay nonchalant as long as the media sacrifices truth in favor of clickbait and even inflammatory reaction.

People always advance the proposal that the media should keep it based on factual and non-ideological. If they did, that will almost certainly make for lower ratings. People don't tune in too long unless it's reactionary.

There is really no easy solution to restoring trust.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 10:50:46 PM »

The news media has abandoned their mission in the interest of making a quick buck. Their never-ending thirst for views and profit has not only allowed, but is almost solely responsible for the rise of fake news in this country. Because people can't get their news from local media or reputable sources like the NYT, they seek sensationalized yellow journalism or outright opinion sites masquerading as "news".

This of course doesn't get into covering one-in-a-million COVID vaccine reactions like they're regular stories, eroding public trust and extending the worst pandemic in a century for clicks and views. My brother specifically didn't get the vaccine because "he heard a lot of stories about the reactions". As far as I'm concerned, CNN and the NYT are as responsible for the anti-vax movement as InfoWars and The Epoch Times are.

Roll Roons took the words out of my mouth. The news media is the enemy of the people. They'll milk this world dry if it means getting an extra penny out of it.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 10:52:45 PM »

https://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsl&fileName=001/llsl001.db&recNum=719

Sec. 2. And be it further enacted, Penalty on libelling the governmentThat if any person shall write, print, utter or publish, or shall cause or procure to be written, printed, uttered or published, or shall knowingly and willingly assist or aid in writing, printing, uttering or publishing any false, scandalous and malicious writing or writings against the government of the United States, or either house of the Congress of the United States, or the President of the United States, with intent to defame the said government, or either house of the said Congress, or the said President, or to bring them, or either of them, into contempt or disrepute; or to excite against them, or either or any of them, the hatred of the good people of the United States, or to stir up sedition within the United States, or to excite any unlawful combinations therein, for opposing or resisting any law of the United States, or any act of the President of the United States, done in pursuance of any such law, or of the powers in him vested by the constitution of the United States, or to resist, oppose, or defeat any such law or act, or to aid, encourage or abet any hostile designs of any foreign nation against the United States, their people or government, then such person, being thereof convicted before any court of the United States having jurisdiction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars, and by imprisonment not exceeding two years.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 11:08:14 PM »

Liberal media are turning against Andrew Cuomo. Liberals are much less tolerant than right-wingers on the misconduct of their leaders. They ditched Rod Blagojevich and Harvey Weinstein fast. Right-wing media are far slower to ditch Matt Gaetz, someone who should be extremely expendable for his misconduct in office. Seventeen-year-old female and the drug ecstasy?

Fox Propaganda Channel, News-mixup, and One (Misled) American News have been slow to catch on to the hollowness of the Right.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 12:37:26 AM »

Reinstating the Fairness Doctrine. It's demise thanks to Saint Raygun is one of the reasons why our current political situation is so f***** right now.

Eh, it's not just about the Fairness Doctrine or the right-wing talk-radio shows that it enabled, though. Much of the blame can be additionally laid at the feet of how big media corporations adapted to technology in general & the Internet in particular. Sensations started driving content when it was clicks that started governing as opposed to purchases, & when everything became sensationalized, people became more skeptical. It's basically just the boy who cried wolf.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 12:55:50 AM »

The media could stop lying so much.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 10:25:25 AM »

Probably nothing for at least a generation. You can't really put the genie back in the bottle.
Jay 🏳️‍⚧️
trippytropicana
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 11:07:13 AM »

You do realize that reinstating the fairness doctrine wouldn't actually do much, right?

1. It requires both sides of a controversial political debate to be given equal air time and be put on equal footing. That means if you want a segment where 30 minutes are given to saying climate change is real, you need to give 30 minutes to climate change deniers too. I don't see how this DOESNT lead to more extremist views getting regular air time on TV

2. Is the more important part, but the FCC only has jurisdiction to enforce the fairness doctrine on broadcast (over the air television). They can't regulate the content of paid TV news, such as MSNBC or CNN. Nor can they regulate what broadcasters over the internet say, such as Newsmax or OAN. The fairness doctrine would apply to such an utterly tiny portion of the American media landscape, it's honestly worth considering if it would even be a net positive at that point.
͘
RandomInternetUser
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 11:12:43 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2021, 11:23:02 AM by RandomAtlasUser »

I don't really remember a time before the internet became widespread. With an internet connection you can access a wide variety of sources. I don't really think that the internet really made people have a wider access to information, but instead made it easier for people to choose sources that were closer to their ideological convictions. People choosing their sources has really perpetrated polarization and has made it harder to talk to other groups because they speak their own lingo. It feels kind of isolating because you haven't read the same kind of news as the other person. Honest political conversation is kind of hard since there isn't a shared set of sources. It doesn't help that profit makes the news make the most sensationalistic as possible stories.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 11:16:14 AM »

Remove for profit media.

TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 11:31:01 AM »

Reduce corporate influence in the media. This is the main reason why mainstream media has not been willing to call out the corruption of most politicians, even though the majority of the general public sees most politicians as corrupt.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 12:58:30 PM »

You can't. being anti-factual and unable to read past the headline is not something that can be fixed without huge changes in how we teach children (and good luck with that)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 01:11:56 PM »

https://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsl&fileName=001/llsl001.db&recNum=719

Sec. 2. And be it further enacted, Penalty on libelling the governmentThat if any person shall write, print, utter or publish, or shall cause or procure to be written, printed, uttered or published, or shall knowingly and willingly assist or aid in writing, printing, uttering or publishing any false, scandalous and malicious writing or writings against the government of the United States, or either house of the Congress of the United States, or the President of the United States, with intent to defame the said government, or either house of the said Congress, or the said President, or to bring them, or either of them, into contempt or disrepute; or to excite against them, or either or any of them, the hatred of the good people of the United States, or to stir up sedition within the United States, or to excite any unlawful combinations therein, for opposing or resisting any law of the United States, or any act of the President of the United States, done in pursuance of any such law, or of the powers in him vested by the constitution of the United States, or to resist, oppose, or defeat any such law or act, or to aid, encourage or abet any hostile designs of any foreign nation against the United States, their people or government, then such person, being thereof convicted before any court of the United States having jurisdiction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars, and by imprisonment not exceeding two years.

If the media knowingly  lies  about something they definitely should be at least sued. Trump was half right about “loosening up the libel laws”. However, they have become so aggressive, people are already getting trials against them under the current laws. Look at what Dominion is doing to Fox. They are suing them over a sixth of their company. Maybe the laws don’t need to be changed and we just need to fight back.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 01:16:27 PM »

1.The media can stop shilling for the CIA, the military, and Israel.
2.The media can stop shilling for corporations and neoliberal economics.
3.The media can stop spewing anti-white rhetoric like white privilege, systemic racism and critical race theory.

The media will do none of these things, so trust will not be restored.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 01:18:05 PM »

Maybe this is overly optimistic, but I think we are at a low point of trust that will naturally have some improvement in the coming years. The pre-internet savvy generations still have enough money to make cable news profitable as-is. It's a big reason why if you turn on any cable news channel, the commercials are all "ask your doctor if getting a reverse mortgage is right for you." Meanwhile, non-traditional media has been steadily growing for the last 20 years or so, and I suspect if you separate out trust by news source, the ones people trust most have been the ones to see the most growth while the least trusted ones have seen the least growth. People naturally gravitate towards news they find trustworthy, and as we shift from consuming news through print media and cable to almost entirely online and streaming services, it will inevitably make more tech savvy outlets more profitable. Maybe 20 years from now, the most trusted names in news will be Vice, Democracy Now, and assorted YouTubers, while CNN, Fox, and MSNBC, are forced to either reform to win the trust of Gen Xers and younger, or become more niche-focused to appeal to a specific market.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2021, 01:33:17 PM »

People from both parties believe the media is inherently biased against them, but that isn't at all true. It wasn't too long ago when MSNBC of all networks fired liberal host Phil Donahue for opposing the Iraq War, among other things. And we just went through 4 years of CNN being hell-bent on attacking Trump right after propelling him to the presidency. It’s a cliché, but it really does happen to both sides. Why? Profits, duh.

Some people in this thread seem to realize that, but most people don't, and that's really unfortunate. Holding the media accountable must be a non-partisan & non-ideological affair.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies