Reassessing views due to personal experience (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:44:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Reassessing views due to personal experience (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reassessing views due to personal experience  (Read 1544 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« on: April 19, 2021, 02:52:01 PM »

On the question of landlords, I had the experience in grad school of being slapped with more than $1,000 in cleaning fees after living in the same place for 2+ years and being a pretty much perfect tenant (no missed/late rent, minimal maintenance requests, etc.)  I later found out that this particular rental company was notorious for doing such. 

Thankfully because I have sixth-grade education and know how to use Google, I was able to look up the Georgia tenant law and see I was allowed to contest the charges and force the landlord to go to small claims court.  The $1,000 was worth a lot more to me than it was to them, so they ending up dropping everything.  If I hadn't known about the letter, the landlord would have had the right to transfer my account to a collections agency in as few as thirty days.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 01:52:03 PM »

I thought a “public option” was good enough when it came to healthcare...

Until I had no choice but a public option, since my job at the time did not provide insurance, and I had to endure going shopping for hospitals, having my previous doctor, dentist, and optometrist suddenly become out of network for me (as well as the majority of clinics.) That made me realize that a public option is hardly an improvement if it isn’t a good option, and private insurance companies will continue squeezing out the market, since clinics will almost always opt to only accept the pricier private insurance, and have the chance to charge fake inflated prices to anyone out of network. I’ve become increasingly convinced that unless many legal protections are put in place for those with a public option, we need to phase out private insurance.

The solution to this is to literally have the public option be Medicare as opposed to some new program, since no American healthcare provider can fathom staying afloat without the 65+ crowd.

Splitting up the public sector health insurance market into three separate programs:  Medicare, Medicaid and some new "public option" for everyone else unnecessarily dilutes the power of the government to negotiate competitive prices.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies