Reassessing views due to personal experience (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:48:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Reassessing views due to personal experience (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reassessing views due to personal experience  (Read 1536 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« on: April 19, 2021, 03:34:34 PM »
« edited: April 19, 2021, 03:39:54 PM by parochial boy »

One thing that does always strike me from coming here is that, judging purely from what even left wing posters on here say, housing policy seems to be an area where Americans are significantly to the right of almost all of Europe on.

Like, these days, even on the centre right there is an increasing consenses that the experiment of a liberalised housing market has been a disaster and that it is time to turn back towards the one policy that was in practice the most succesful one we have ever had - social housing. And lots of it.

And yet, when I come here, even left wingers seem to have this view that something as complex and intricate as housing policy can be treated as simply as if it is one supply and demand curve and you just build and that is all there is to it - as if all the other economic and social and demographic factors just get subsumed into that. Social housing seems to be even beyong the wildest imaginations, even though it has proved its use in the past.

Certain US cities seem to be having a particularly intense housing crisis, beyond even what similar European cities are going through. So you wonder if there is a link somewhere.

And on another note

Three years at a big 4 accountancy firm in England at the time of Brexit had almost exactly the same impact on my politics. Crazy coincidence, huh?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies