Combined embrio of human and monkey!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:17:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Combined embrio of human and monkey!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Combined embrio of human and monkey!  (Read 804 times)
Maik Otter
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2021, 01:37:02 PM »

Some crazy scientist created a combined embrio of human and monkey!

This embrio made it to 20 days of "living"!
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 04:50:23 PM »

Not enough time to be ensouled.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 06:02:11 PM »

Muh aborshun...

I mean, thinking you are a parent immediately after having sex is no more or less unreasonable than thinking there’s more than two genders...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 10:15:13 PM »

I don’t think this is remotely clear.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 02:36:51 PM »

I've never understood why people use this sort of thing as an abortion gotcha. They're separate issues, even though they both have to do with reproductive ethics. What it does work very well as is a brickbat to beat creationists with, but that's not really a live wedge issue anymore in most of the country.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 05:12:37 PM »

I've never understood why people use this sort of thing as an abortion gotcha. They're separate issues, even though they both have to do with reproductive ethics. What it does work very well as is a brickbat to beat creationists with, but that's not really a live wedge issue anymore in most of the country.
If I recall correctly, it wasn’t made using human sperm and a monkey egg, but rather human stem cells on a monkey zygote.

As I have noted before, even 27% of those who seldom or never attend church believe God created man in his present form. 64% want YEC taught alongside evolution.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 05:33:21 PM »

If I recall correctly, it wasn’t made using human sperm and a monkey egg, but rather human stem cells on a monkey zygote.

As I have noted before, even 27% of those who seldom or never attend church believe God created man in his present form. 64% want YEC taught alongside evolution.

If 99% of Americans wanted creationism taught in schools, that would still not be a sufficient reason to do it.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 05:50:23 PM »

It isn't as if any of these are empirical facts. I think learning all perspectives would be best for children.

The age of the Earth is indeed an empirical fact.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 05:58:59 PM »

If 99% of Americans wanted creationism taught in schools, that would still not be a sufficient reason to do it.
I didn’t say we ought to do it... Did I word that confusingly in response to Nathan?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 06:04:09 PM »

I didn’t say we ought to do it... Did I word that confusingly in response to Nathan?

I was just throwing that out there as bait.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 06:08:52 PM »

Religious studies academia have been pushing for religious information in school, arguing that keeping religion as a uniquely taboo subject may violate the Constitution. Here is someone arguing for the benefits of it:

Stephen Prothero is probably the most notable (IE public) advocate of this.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 07:11:07 PM »

Religious studies academia have been pushing for religious information in school, arguing that keeping religion as a uniquely taboo subject may violate the Constitution. Here is someone arguing for the benefits of it:

The study of comparative religion is very different from teaching young Earth creationism in schools.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 10:24:51 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2021, 10:17:45 AM by Kingpoleon »

The study of comparative religion is very different from teaching young Earth creationism in schools.
I quite agree. I also think the Supreme Court’s decisions on school prayer are insanely obsessive, and particularly sympathize with the dissents from Justices White and Stewart.

To be fair, it is totally valid to teach YEC and Intelligent Design in school, just like geocentrism, the moon is made of green cheese theory, and that every time a bunny wrinkles it’s nose, a baby is born. In other words: we know this is not true.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 07:31:39 AM »

It happened in m High School. It was taught in English class when they discussed the classics.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 08:30:31 AM »

When there is talk of teaching religion in schools, a vast number of advocates for it don't mean 'comparative religion' but 'my religion is true'. Even if they don't say it. It's entirely constitutional to teach comparative religion
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 12:51:27 AM »

Well at least they didn't try a pig and an elephant

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 12:16:21 PM »

When there is talk of teaching religion in schools, a vast number of advocates for it don't mean 'comparative religion' but 'my religion is true'. Even if they don't say it. It's entirely constitutional to teach comparative religion

And it's pretty evident. In my high school, in a small rural town that was in a relatively secular far-right state, they did taught some comparative religion about creation myths without it ever feeling that it was what we were supposed to actually believe.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 10:27:03 AM »

I see that this source dates to 2005. Do you have a more recent survey?

To speak of the other source, though, I do find it interesting how little belief in the idea that God created man as he is today hasn't shown much movement over the past few decades. I was expecting a decline a lot larger than 6 - 7%.
The PR success of young earth creationism is absolutely sensational and indicative of the Intelligent Designer Ken behind it. He’s a very intelligent man, and, like all intelligent men, has a very obvious blind spot.

[quote author]Why not?

It isn't as if any of these are empirical facts. I think learning all perspectives would be best for children.[/quote]I see somebody watched Ken Ham destroy Bill Nye.* The problem here is that schools should be biased towards the truth and the good. It’s wrong to teach both sides of Solar System models or both sides of the Holocaust.

*Not joking - Nye’s refusal to even acknowledge that science depends on interpretation, when he could easily have segued into this interpretation, was absolutely insane.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies