Which of these events is the least likely
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:17:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these events is the least likely
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these events is the least likely?
Quebec secedes in the next 50 years

Vietnamese democracy occurs

The states of Wyoming and West Virginia flip blue

Hungary leaves the EU

The ANC loses power

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Which of these events is the least likely  (Read 701 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2021, 06:47:47 AM »

Which of these events is the least likely?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 09:35:04 AM »

I take issue with the idea that the EU would continue exactly as it is for the next 50 years, but if Hungary's relationship with them remained the same, I'd actually argue that or Quebec is the least likely.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 09:42:02 AM »

Hungary leaving the EU is the most likely, but WV and WY voting Democrat is the least likely.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 01:55:17 PM »

Tie between the first two though leaning slightly to Vietnam becoming a democracy. The current regime looks stable, it’ll probably be helped by tacit US backing for a while to come, and Southeast Asia doesn’t have a great record when it comes to democracy. I suppose as Vietnam develops more, it could see it pull off a Taiwan or South Korea, but I’d always bet against that. That being said, the only reasons I’m putting independent Quebec above it is because it almost happened in recent memory I guess the PQ/BQ are still relevant. Still seems way more unlikely than the other three.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 02:39:42 PM »

Depends on the timescale. WV and WY voting Democratic is highly unlikely in the short term, obviously, but if we're talking about the next 50 years for that (and all of the others for that matter), it's not so crazy. Hell, would have seemed crazy 50 years ago to think WV would be so Republican today. If we're talking about 50 years for all of them, or just ever, I think Quebec actually seceding is the least likely. The movement for that seems to just be decreasing in power and the odds of it ever happening shrinking over time. I don't see what is likely to reverse that. The moment for that to happen came and went. If it didn't happen in 1995 I don't see it ever happening. That was the high water mark for the movement and it's been all downhill from there.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 08:33:58 AM »

Depends on the timescale. WV and WY voting Democratic is highly unlikely in the short term, obviously, but if we're talking about the next 50 years for that (and all of the others for that matter), it's not so crazy. Hell, would have seemed crazy 50 years ago to think WV would be so Republican today. If we're talking about 50 years for all of them, or just ever, I think Quebec actually seceding is the least likely. The movement for that seems to just be decreasing in power and the odds of it ever happening shrinking over time. I don't see what is likely to reverse that. The moment for that to happen came and went. If it didn't happen in 1995 I don't see it ever happening. That was the high water mark for the movement and it's been all downhill from there.
Canada gave them concessions
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies