Lincoln Senate Debate: April 2021 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:22:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lincoln Senate Debate: April 2021 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lincoln Senate Debate: April 2021  (Read 769 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: April 21, 2021, 11:35:52 AM »

Hey, uhh, if the newcomers to the debate want to answer the general questions that would be cool.

Will do by today night
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 03:58:47 PM »

Hello I’d like to welcome everyone who has attended this debate and want to thank you for doing so.

As we all know, Atlasia has been ravaged by COVID-19, and thousands of Atlasians have perished to this virus. As the end of the pandemic appears near, how would you support transitioning back to normal life? What safety measures do you believe are still justified? What role do you believe the Atlasian government has in continuing to fight against the social and economic effects of COVID-19?

As we all know the COVID 19 pandemic has ruined the lives of many families across our nation, and it is critical that we do all that we can to ensure it doesn't ruin the lives of many more . The best way we can ensure that is by continuing to vaccinate more and more Atlasians, and for the people who have not received the vaccine yet and are eligible to do so, I want to encourage you to get vaccinated as that is the best way we can finally move on from this pandemic and return to normal.

Now, given how much of our population has already been vaccinated, I believe it is time we fully reopen our economy to make sure the livelihoods of people across Lincoln don’t further deteriorate but I also believe we should do it in a safe way . A Safety precaution I am in favor of keeping for at least the next few months is the mask mandate for indoor areas for the next few months to make sure we can reopen our economy in the safest way possible , and while I understand maks are inconvenient, that is the best way we can ensure that small businesses across Atlasia can reopen.

Fully reopening our economy in a safe manner such as I outlined just a few seconds ago is the best action our government can take to fight against the economic effects against COVID but it isn't the only one. To fully rebuild our economy, it is critical we make investments in infrastructure such as :our roads, our bridges, our airports, in expanding broadband access to rural communities who dont have access to them. This along with investing in energy sources of both the present and the future will not only create jobs in the short run but also create an environment which can lead to many more businesses being created thanks to the investment which will lead to jobs being created for the long run as well.

Pairing this with tax reform that would cut tax rates for businesses while implementing a border adjustment tax to incentivize businesses to create jobs here in Atlasia is the best way we can not only help our economy fully recover but make it greater than it ever has been in our history.

Recently in Lincoln, two controversial legislative initiatives - one introducing further restriction on late-term abortions, and one regulating 'diversity training' - both passed in a relatively low-turnout election. In your opinion, did the people of Lincoln make the right decision? How will you address these issues as a Senator?

As someone who voted for both measures, I absolutely believe that Lincoln made the right decision in voting for them. The first one which implemented a 20 week ban on abortion in my opinion is a common sense restriction and something that absolutely should be implemented . For all the controversy over this measure, Lincoln will still have more liberal abortion laws than many nations in western Europe have which ban abortions at an earlier date which is another reason why this measure is a common sense restriction .

As a senator I would work to end all funding for Abortion which is a position that Senator Blair has supported in the past , and given the answers he has given in this debate, is a position he seems to support today as well and in my opinion is absolutely the wrong position on this issue.

As for the measure that regulated diversity training, keep in mind that the measure doesnt ban all diversity training but only ones that promote racist concepts and any similar concepts which again is something that not only should be implemented in Lincoln but nation wide as well.  

With a recent bill recognizing Taiwan passing Congress, tensions with China appear to be once more increasing. What is your take on the China issue? How do you believe Congress, and Atlasia as a whole, should handle China? Are you concerned about further animosity between the governments of the two nations potentially encouraging anti-Chinese-American xenophobia?

Dealing with China is the most important foreign policy issue of this generation, given how blatantly they have disregarded human rights, and act as an imperial power. I believe that not only we should recognize Taiwan , but arm Taiwan as well to ensure they can defend themselves from a potential attack from China.  As a senator I will also work to pass sanctions and tariffs against China to punish them for their human right violations, their imperialistic actions in the Pacific and to limit their power in general.

In addition to sanctions and tariffs, we also need to increase our economic and diplomatic ties to India, the Pacific nations , Latin America, and nations in Africa to not only counter China's influence in the various regions but also so we can shift our economic ties from China to nations all across the world, and also to show that our nation just like our predecessor during WW2 and the Cold War is the greatest proponent of expanding liberty and prosperity across the world and I am certain we can do it again.

In addition to all this , I want to make it clear to people who want to use this situation to be racist and xenophobic against Chinese-Americans that their actions are completely unacceptable and repulsive in every way possible and we will not tolerate such behavior in Atlasia at all. Chinese-Americans are a valuable part of Atlasia and represent the values that make our nation great far far better than any racist ever does. Immigrants throughout our history have been demonized as not really being really American or Atlasian when in fact many of the times they are among the most patriotic people in our nation and it is time to recognize that.

Many in the center and right have accused Labor dominance of perpetuating legislative stagnation. Do you believe this take is correct? Is there a dearth of meaningful legislative activity? How will you, as Senator, address this issue, if it even exists?

I absolutely believe Labor dominance in the game has perpetuated Legislative stagnation as it has led to many long time users of the game getting discouraged while in comparison during our time in office in 2017 and 2018 we saw lots of activity in Atlasia from formations of multiple parties, to many actual reforms made to Atlasia such as increasing transparency which is something the Labor governments since then have repealed. As a senator  I would work on making reforms to increase transparency in the game and would support the    New Unicameral-Subregional Plan Proposal as well.

Recently, there have been significant concerns regarding the onset of offsite recruiting. What's your take on this issue, and do you believe that offsite recruiting's increasing prevalence is a threat to the game's survival? Do you believe regulations on new registers should be passed, to combat this?

I do not believe this is a problem given the minimum posting requirements we already have to be eligible to vote in Atlasia. Being eligible to vote on atlasia is not as simple as creating an account on this forum and then instantly having the ability to vote so I dont think further restrictions are required.

What is your proudest achievement in Atlasia?

As a former members of the house some of my proudest achievements are working with Mr.R and Fhtagn to get rid of many of the bad regulations that were in place and I look forward to passing comprehensive regulatory reform if given the opportunity.

Some other achievements im proud of is passing legislation that would streamline our immigration system, make reforms to our game even if they were later rolled back by Labor, and passing a bill that would audit many of our agencies .

I believe my record in the house will give me the experience needed to be an effective senator for Lincoln. Thank You
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 08:30:47 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2021, 12:38:43 AM by Old School Republican »

My response to Oakvale concerns about Zombie voting/Offsite recruiting :

I disagree about the prevalence of zombie voters becuase while it is true there are many voters who don't post much on the Atlasia boards , that doesn't mean they aren't involved. Now days, much of the Atlasian community spends time on Atlas based discord servers and participate using those servers , and while they may not post on this forum’s Atlasia boards as much , I’d argue that it counts as those servers are basically part of the Atlas community now .

Furthermore Conservative Atlasians have trended more towards using the discord servers to talk to other members of the Atlasian community so if you make the requirements more strict than it would mean many prevalent discord  posters may not be able to vote in Atlasia and that in my opinion is unfair . It also would be bad for the game as it would result in less competition and make the crises this game faces a lot worse .

A rebuttal to one of Blair’s posts :

I also believe that it's vital that the Atlasian Government works to gives families and workers across Lincoln the economic support they need- which is exactly what Labor and myself have been working hard to do. Successive Presidents from Pericles, to MB, to Sestak have been working hard to ensure that families, workers and businesses have the support they need.

I fully disagree with that given how much Labor governments both at federal and regional levelsv have raised taxes tremendously which have stifled economic growth and refused to even consider giving small business and regional sized businesses tax cuts that they need . Another drawback is under successive labor governments we have seen the regulatory reforms we made under federalist governments rolled back which I believe has stifled economic growth .

My belief is we need to fundamentally change our tax code where investing here in Atlasia and hiring more Atlasians is incentivized  which is why I’d cut taxes for businesses here while at the same time implementing a border adjustment tax as well which was another thing Labor blocked
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies