What's the most likely explanation for UFO sightings?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:18:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What's the most likely explanation for UFO sightings?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Simple misidentification (in almost all cases)

Deliberate hoaxes

Hallucinations

Alien craft

Interdimensional craft/time traveling

Secret military (or foreign military) projects

Other secretive or unknown activity

Combination of 1, 2, and/or 3

Any other combination (please post)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: What's the most likely explanation for UFO sightings?  (Read 1707 times)
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2021, 03:07:45 PM »

Even if extraterrestrial life existed it would be so far away that it wouldn't be able to visit us.  Faster than light travel just isn't possible.

Ultimately it seems all the people "abducted" are either dorks doing some crazy drugs or liars looking to make a quick buck.

Disclaimer: For religious reasons I don't believe there is any other life in the universe.  Nevertheless I have always been fascinated by UFOs and the like.

I’ve always found it comic that people believe that if an alien civilization managed to crack faster than light travel they’d spend their time mutilating cattle, anally probing American farmers and drawing the Nazca Lin... my mistake, ‘landing strips’.
Think about what we do to chimpanzees. Is this really that different from what aliens are alleged to do to us?
When did chimpanzees start practicing animal husbandry?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2021, 03:09:47 PM »

Even if extraterrestrial life existed it would be so far away that it wouldn't be able to visit us.  Faster than light travel just isn't possible.

Ultimately it seems all the people "abducted" are either dorks doing some crazy drugs or liars looking to make a quick buck.

Disclaimer: For religious reasons I don't believe there is any other life in the universe.  Nevertheless I have always been fascinated by UFOs and the like.

I’ve always found it comic that people believe that if an alien civilization managed to crack faster than light travel they’d spend their time mutilating cattle, anally probing American farmers and drawing the Nazca Lin... my mistake, ‘landing strips’.
Think about what we do to chimpanzees. Is this really that different from what aliens are alleged to do to us?
When did chimpanzees start practicing animal husbandry?
We don't mutilate their livestock, sure, but we go into their environment and take observations, take them out of their environment and strap them to a table and do strange medical experiments on them. Is it that out of the question that a more advanced and more intelligent species would want to experiment on us (and other animals as well) and sort of treat Earth like their own personal playground?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2021, 03:33:50 PM »

Whatever it is it's a cultural phenomenon, since UFO sightings are virtually unheard of outside the English-speaking world.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2021, 03:53:02 PM »

Reported sightings and actual sightings are much different things. I wouldn't think less developed countries would have anywhere near as high a number of reported sightings for a number of reasons but the sightings are still there.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2021, 04:10:16 PM »

Reported sightings and actual sightings are much different things. I wouldn't think less developed countries would have anywhere near as high a number of reported sightings for a number of reasons but the sightings are still there.

They're notably absent from rich countries like Japan and South Korea too, however
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2021, 04:21:03 PM »

Aliens monitoring us like rats on a lab. Nice that the government is slowly preparing society for them.

Now that we interact virtually they have much more information about us because they don’t need to land, just get their spaceship to somewhere that has a Wi-Fi signal. These sightings can become more frequent from now on.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2021, 04:30:31 PM »

I mean I make no comment on the putative morality of any alien life form, but I still find it highly sketchy that a civilization capable of interstellar travel would replicate (or be perceived as replicating) modern human techniques of animal experimentation. It reminds me rather of the 1968 Planet of the Apes movie, where in spite of operating at what appears to be a fairly low level of technological development (not an internal combustion engine in sight) the Apes have developed improbably advanced techniques of brain surgery and psychology. It just seems incongruous.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2021, 04:49:23 PM »

Misidentification, classified military stuff, and hallucinations from getting high.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2021, 02:31:03 AM »

Even if extraterrestrial life existed it would be so far away that it wouldn't be able to visit us.  Faster than light travel just isn't possible.

Disclaimer: For religious reasons I don't believe there is any other life in the universe.  Nevertheless I have always been fascinated by UFOs and the like.

Yeah I guess we aren't any better.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2021, 10:05:46 AM »

I think the vast majority of UFO sightings have mundane explanations (hoaxes, mistaken identification etc.) but a small proportion of sightings do not have such explanations but also inconsistent with an extraterrestrial theory in that UFOs often do not behave like normal material objects. It's not a coincidence that many UFOlogists have turned to the extradimensional hypothesis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdimensional_hypothesis). Perhaps, as certain Christian UFO experts suggest, some UFOs are manifestations of daemonic activity.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2021, 01:11:59 AM »

I think the vast majority of UFO sightings have mundane explanations (hoaxes, mistaken identification etc.) but a small proportion of sightings do not have such explanations but also inconsistent with an extraterrestrial theory in that UFOs often do not behave like normal material objects. It's not a coincidence that many UFOlogists have turned to the extradimensional hypothesis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdimensional_hypothesis). Perhaps, as certain Christian UFO experts suggest, some UFOs are manifestations of daemonic activity.
I've heard theories that they're supernatural as well. Or that somehow all of our paranormal phenomena come from the same source - some other "spirit world" which would also conveniently explain the lack of hard evidence of say, Bigfoot or why anything around UFOs is kept such a secret. Maybe we truly don't know and never will know.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2021, 08:53:46 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2021, 09:04:06 AM by SecularGlobalist »

One thing that people always neglect to mention:   the Pentagon purposefully being deceitful in order to justify bloated defense budgets before Congress and to hide their experimental aircraft projects in the desert.   The ATF spying on the rural crackhead with fancy toys, and he thinks it's a Martian. lulz.

Extraterrestrial beings have never visited Earth.  

If little green men ever decided to visit our planet, trust me, we will ALL know.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »

aliens ofc
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2021, 10:34:29 AM »

If they all look like Diana from V I will welcome our alien overlords.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 12:33:41 AM »

In order of likelihood; 1, 3, 2, gap, 6, massive gap, 4, ridiculous gap, 5.

The military thing is at least plausible. But ultimately, pretty much everything leans drastically towards the first three simply by the fact that most UFO evidence is captured through instruments known to be imperfect (even, on the imperfect end of instruments that we have developed) or has at least been documented in an imprecise or imperfect manner.
I know you're not a believer in either 4 or 5 but how is 5 so much more ridiculous than 4? Maybe I shouldn't have conflated time travelers with alternate dimensions but quantum physics and the string theory essentially has proved the concept of the multiverse and why is it so much of a stretch from there to believe that there are portals between our universes? Flying spaceships at light speed across the galaxy seems a lot harder than just slipping through a portal (and it would explain some of the stranger parts like UFOs flat out disappearing/aliens seeming to float through walls).
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2021, 02:14:26 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2021, 02:20:33 AM by President Sestak »

I know you're not a believer in either 4 or 5 but how is 5 so much more ridiculous than 4?

Because 4 at least is a combination of factors we know to be possible, even if extremely improbable. It is possible life has developed outside of earth (but very hard to put a probability on). It is possible that such life would be able to develop technology for space travel - after all, we've done it. Though very unlikely, it is at least possible that one such spacefaring civilization could reach Earth; and finally, we know that it is possible to construct craft that's at least reasonably good at evading or at least delaying detection by specific radars etc. Again, the idea that there is in fact a civilization with all of this which is also regularly doing stuff on Earth without making their presence known is ridiculously unlikely; but we still in theory know that the mechanisms of it are physically possible.

On the other hand, the other stuff requires a much more dramatic leap of faith to assume they could be happening right now.

Maybe I shouldn't have conflated time travelers with alternate dimensions but quantum physics and the string theory essentially has proved the concept of the multiverse and why is it so much of a stretch from there to believe that there are portals between our universes?
Careful where you're treading here. The "concept of a multiverse" has certainly not been 'proven', and really falls more under the philosophy of physics than actual physics. Certainly many physicists favor the idea of the multiverse, but many do not as well, and to claim there is any "proof" for the idea is a gross exaggeration.

Quantum mechanics has provided some with an attractive multiverse hypothesis (involving the universal wavefunction etc.) that some find attractive, but it is still nothing more than that. Again, "proven" is a gross stretch. Claiming something is "proven" by string theory makes even less sense since one of the main criticisms of it is that it hasn't been able to prove/solve very much; I believe (though I could be wrong on this) that string theory on the whole has been on a rather precipitous footing for the last several decades, especially after the LHC was never able to achieve any of the results/readings that it was hoped to.

Flying spaceships at light speed across the galaxy seems a lot harder than just slipping through a portal (and it would explain some of the stranger parts like UFOs flat out disappearing/aliens seeming to float through walls).

So I will note that I was not assuming Option #4 involved lightspeed or greater-than-light speed. I'd regard that as pretty much the same as Option 5 (maybe slightly more likely than the inter dimensional stuff since it requires other dimensions to actually exist in a fashion that they can be interacted with). In a relativistic world time travel and faster than light travel are exactly the same thing, so I wouldn't put very much in between them.

For any of those three things to be possible we'd need something completely unknown to us/our understanding of the world. The most we have, to my knowledge, is a few wormhole models which have been shown to satisfy the equations of general relativity. But even from there we get to several sets of Herculean leaps; that they actually exist and aren't just a theoretical possibility, that they actually exist in close proximity to the Earth, that they can be created and destroyed at all, that there is a way for a group of travelers to create such objects or even affect their creations, that they are able to do so on-demand for human-scale objects and beings, and finally that they are able to do all this without a significant transfer of energy or anything else that would be obviously detectable.

Given all of this, such explanations make less sense by leaps and bounds than even the standard 'aliens idea'. The notion that even one of these sightings/events is caused by this is a gargantuan stretch and is quite frankly a ridiculous conclusion to come to - even when compared to just 'it's aliens'.

TL;DR: 4 consists of "doing things we have done, just much much better, plus an astronomical amount of coincidence and convenience". 5 requires a whole lot more than that; stuff that we have not come close to proving possible or even having a concrete conception of.

full disclosure. Am not a physicist; may have gotten some of the details wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the gist of this is correct. If someone here is more knowledgeable in this area please feel free to correct any of it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies