What do you think of the hyperinflation talk
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:11:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What do you think of the hyperinflation talk
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you think of the hyperinflation talk  (Read 543 times)
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2021, 07:11:05 PM »

I have been hearing some discussion about how the world is heading towards hyperinflation like the Weimar Republic. What do you think about it?
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 08:22:17 PM »

That seems very unlikely. Where's the crisis to trigger it? and has it ever happened to several important countries all at once?
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 10:39:35 AM »

Deflation is vastly superior. 
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 08:59:41 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2021, 10:16:43 PM by Alex »

Yeah, the hyperinflation talk is stupid AF, and that's coming from an Argentinean
Even constant high inflation rarely gets to hyperinflation levels, we've had inflation rates over 20% (often getting to 40+) every year for the last decade (and a large part of the previous one), plus a huge foreign exchange rate mess, and we're still nowhere near hyperinflation
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 11:22:15 AM »

Eventually the US dollar will lose its status as the world's reserve currency, and we'll see hellish inflation in this country then. But, in my view, there's little reason to fear that happening in the near term.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 08:42:01 PM »

Probably nothing to worry about in the short term. Long term, Maybe.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 10:35:56 PM »

Not till the 2040s am I concerned about inflation.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 01:25:46 AM »

I trust the Fed.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 04:54:02 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 06:53:12 AM by Frank »

1.This isn't completely accurate based on the U.S History, but I remember somebody retweeted this which I gather was originally meant as a serious tweet: "I've been warning you for 46 years now how government deficits will lead to hyper-inflation!"

2.The hyperinflation chicken littles are either gold bug charlatans (or crypto charlatans now) or Republican economic elite charlatans to the degree that they aren't one and the same.

3.I don't know that people can't have a good grasp of economics, macro or otherwise, it's mostly just common sense of following a process through from one logical (or most likely) step to the next.   The main problem for most people I think is as Yoda (almost) said "you have much to unlearn."  Most people's understanding of economics is clouded by all the nonsense spewed by charlatans.

4.Inflation is a real concern as many commodity prices (inputs) are increasing.  This is especially the case with many nations all over the world deciding to deficit spend their way out of the pandemic, which will likely also lead to upward pressure on interest rates.

However, with the brief exception when oil prices rose significantly in 2006-2007, inflation has been largely non existent for 30 years now.  To claim the economy has not significantly changed from the 1990s to now and that inflation will return in the U.S in some significant way due to large government budget deficits is clearly not supported by reality.

So, all in all, I think there will be a return of inflation that may exceed the 2% upper target, to maybe 3% (I'm really purely guessing but...), but the Biden Administration seems to be aware of these concerns and the economy is so much more globalized, so I don't think there will be any inflationary spiral as we saw starting in 1966 and then again around 1986 (1987 actually, but I like the symmetry.)

Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 01:51:40 PM »

It’s just baseless fearmongering by charlatans and hucksters to appeal to people who have little understanding of economics, or how money actually behaves.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies