Violence in Northern Ireland Returns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:24:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Violence in Northern Ireland Returns
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Violence in Northern Ireland Returns  (Read 646 times)
walleye26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »

It looks as within the last couple of weeks, violence has increased dramatically in Northern Ireland. I’ll defer to posters from the UK/Ireland here, but I was wondering if there’s been a real movement toward reconciliation since the Good Friday Agreement, or if it’s been a begrudgingly accepted peace. It seems like the Protestants and Catholics still leave in segregated neighborhoods and go to separate schools. Are there people who want to integrate and really try hard, or are they in the minority?

I’ve watched Derry Girls, and I remember the episode they meet the Protestants and it goes badly. Is that a relatively accurate perception of how difficult this issue is?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/09/uk/northern-ireland-violence-explainer-gbr-intl/index.html
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:01:15 AM »

Another dividend from Brexit, huzzah.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 03:56:05 PM »

I guess the '80s kids wanted to recreate some childhood nostalgia...
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 06:19:59 AM »

This is a pale imitation brought up by that poorly written Brexit storyline.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 06:28:00 AM »

I remember the end of 20:00 news with car bombs in Ulster, made us feel we're not the only ones.

So far it's kids throwing bricks, let's talk if and when it gunfire and explosives. I doubt the UDA\UVF has much firepower left
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 06:37:22 AM »

Yeah, but its still not good.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 02:10:08 PM »

Has Norn Iron been badly impacted by the pandemic and Brexit?
ElectionObserver
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 09:36:21 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2021, 09:51:29 AM by ElectionObserver »

The Good Friday Agreement brought peace, but it didn't bring true reconciliation.

Just look at the place today. So many things are determined by religion in everyday life. 93% of children go to segregated schools. People live in different areas and 'peace walls' are required in Belfast where communities meet. Some might have thought that these were things from the past, but segregation in education is actually greater today than it was in 1997.

The current trouble seems to have been kicked off by a combination of:
- Brexit and the 'Irish sea border' which places NI closer to the Republic than to the UK in terms of goods (This is the main cause IMO).
- The funeral of Eamon McCourt in Derry and the attendance of all of the senior Sinn Fein leadership which was banned due to Covid regulations.
- A lot of bored kids whose schools were shut and who, if they were late teens/ early 20s, found it basically impossible to get a job.
- The continuing simmering undercurrent of anger between the two communities and those communities and the PSNI.
- The feeling amongst many unionists that Catholics/ nationalists now have the upper hand in Northern Ireland for the first time in NI history. There are many example of this, but the sea border is the key one.

Since 1997, Northern Ireland has been a bit like dry tinder just waiting for the spark to set it off. At the moment, it's just kids with stones, brings, fireworks and petrol. We'll have to see if this develops any further as the senior leadership on the unionist/ protestant side looks like it is doing very little to calm tensions.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 09:44:41 AM »

A factor behind the present trouble is very likely a fear amongst many NI unionists/loyalists that their hegemony could be about to end for good.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies