Woodrow Wilson vs. Calvin Coolidge (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:51:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Woodrow Wilson vs. Calvin Coolidge (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was the better president?
Wilson (D)

Wilson (R)

Wilson (I/O)

Coolidge (D)

Coolidge (R)

Coolidge (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Woodrow Wilson vs. Calvin Coolidge  (Read 2155 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: April 10, 2021, 04:42:27 PM »

Keep cool with Coolidge against the racist, censoring warmonger.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 03:36:45 PM »

It's a little weird to me that people lay so much blame on Coolidge for the Great Depression. Yeah, sure, the warning signs were probably appearing under his watch, and inequality expanded during his presidency. But blaming him for the Depression is like blaming Bill Clinton for 9/11. Both of these disasters happened shortly into their successors' terms, and both could've been averted if the preceding administrations had been more vigilant. Ultimately though, it is the handling of those crises that made them so disastrous, and that is something that you can't blame the predecessors for. I have no idea how Coolidge would've handled the Depression had it happened under his watch, but regardless, that kind of silly hypothetical shouldn't factor into the actual analysis of the man's presidency.

Bill Clinton (and the Republican Congress, but the buck stops at the president) do get partial blame for the 2008 financial crisis thanks to deregulation, and repeal of New Deal-era laws which were put in place specifically to prevent a repeat of the Depression.

Hoover, unlike Coolidge, actually did support intervention in the economy. His efforts were simply insufficient. But Coolidge was a strong believer in laissez-faire economics and it is difficult to speculate whether his principles or the circumstances of the time would have won out.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies