Tenderˋs English -> German -> Austriangerman Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:26:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Tenderˋs English -> German -> Austriangerman Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tenderˋs English -> German -> Austriangerman Thread  (Read 641 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2021, 12:20:06 AM »

If anyone is interested, post some words or phrases here and I will translate it to proper (High)/Standard-German and into my Salzburg/Pinzgau dialect.

We often use completely different words than (Northern) Germans would.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 12:23:25 AM »

German posters are also welcome to post, to expose the language differences between the Germanic regions.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 12:35:11 AM »

The first words of the chorus of "Der Kommissar".
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 12:45:19 AM »

English:

„Don’t turn around. The police (officer) is on patrol.“

German:

„Dreh dich nicht um. Der Kommissar/Polizist geht herum.“

My dialect:

„Dra di nit um. Da Schantenga geht ummadumm.“

(we don’t say „Kommissar“ here, it’s more of an outdated Vienna term. We also don’t say „Polizist“ like Germans do, but „Schantenga“ or „Bullen“.)

The dialect word „Schantenga“ for police officer probably comes from „Gendarm(erie)“ (French).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 01:16:32 AM »

"A fortnight later the shallow bully was put off by the nice, but awkward, insight that the victim said to him about his new tattoo."
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 03:57:21 AM »

German posters are also welcome to post, to expose the language differences between the Germanic regions.

I would offer to translate into Swabian German Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 06:26:04 AM »

"A fortnight later the shallow bully was put off by the nice, but awkward, insight that the victim said to him about his new tattoo."

First, German languages do not use „fortnight“.

We say „14 days later“ or „2 weeks later“.

So, in proper German:

„Nach 2 Wochen wurde dem seichten Schlägertyp/Tyrann übel, nachdem sein Opfer ein nettes, aber ziemlich schräges Kompliment/Kommentar über sein Tattoo gemacht hatte.“

(That’s a pretty weird sentence from dead0man, btw ...)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 06:33:53 AM »

First, German languages do not use „fortnight“.

We say „14 days later“ or „2 weeks later“.

So, in proper German:

„Nach 2 Wochen wurde dem seichten Schlägertyp/Tyrann übel, nachdem sein Opfer ein nettes, aber ziemlich schräges Kompliment/Kommentar über sein Tattoo gemacht hatte.“

(That’s a pretty weird sentence from dead0man, btw ...)

In dialect, it’s pretty much the same as in High-German, but we don’t really use Schlägertyp or Tyrann for a „bully“, we maybe call such a person an „Oaschloch“ (asshole).

Übel werden / „to be put off“ or „to get sick“ means „Letz werden“ in dialect here.

„Mia weascht letz“ means „mir wird schlecht/übel“ in regular German („This is putting me off“ or „I’m sick of it“ or „I’m going to get sick“)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 08:21:14 AM »

If anyone is interested, post some words or phrases here and I will translate it to proper (High)/Standard-German and into my Salzburg/Pinzgau dialect.

Do you mean Northern as in anywhere else...or do you mean the actual north where the humor is super dry and some people use Plattdeutsch?

Speaking of, what is the relation between Low German and Austrian?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 09:50:58 AM »

English:

German:

It should be noticed that Germans don't realize what Falco sings at the beginning of the chorus; they usually understand the gibberish "da didel dum" instead, and are shocked when they discover the real lyrics.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 10:52:31 AM »

English:

German:

It should be noticed that Germans don't realize what Falco sings at the beginning of the chorus; they usually understand the gibberish "da didel dum" instead, and are shocked when they discover the real lyrics.

What you call "gibberish" is Standard Viennese dialect ... Tongue

Drah di ned um.

Dreh dich nicht (her)um. (High German)

Drah di nit um.

Notice the different pronounciation of "not" between Viennese and Pinzgauerisch dialects.

Notice the different pronounciation of "turn" between the 2 Austrian versions vs. the German-German versions (except Bavarian).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 10:57:10 AM »

Do you mean Northern as in anywhere else...or do you mean the actual north where the humor is super dry and some people use Plattdeutsch?

Speaking of, what is the relation between Low German and Austrian?

"Northern" German is basically anything north of Bavaria.

BaWü is a special case (Alemannic/Schwäbisch) because they kinda sound like a funny mix of Austro-Bavarian and Northern-German.

Plattdeutsch is the northernmost of the Northern and basically a language on its own. Many Germans don't understand it either. It's a mix of Coastal Hamburgerish German, influenced by Danish and Swedish.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 11:04:18 AM »

Please translate the following Pinzgauerisch dialect into Swabian and High/Standard-German:

"Znaxt hob i ma an nojn Combiutta kafft - de Grafikkoscht bzw. da Büdschirm woa owa hineg und nond hob i'n huseg zrugg gem und hob mei Göd wieda zrugg griagg."

English:

"A while ago, I have purchased a new Computer - but the graphics card or the monitor was broken and then I quickly returned it and received my money back."
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 11:25:31 AM »

Please translate the following Pinzgauerisch dialect into Swabian and High/Standard-German:

"Znaxt hob i ma an nojn Combiutta kafft - de Grafikkoscht bzw. da Büdschirm woa owa hineg und nond hob i'n huseg zrugg gem und hob mei Göd wieda zrugg griagg."

English:

"A while ago, I have purchased a new Computer - but the graphics card or the monitor was broken and then I quickly returned it and received my money back."

Standard German: "Vor einer Weile habe ich mir einen neuen Computer gekauft, aber die Grafikkarte und der Bildschirm waren kaputt, also habe ich ihn schnell zurückgebracht und das Geld erstattet bekommen."

A Swabian would say something like (written as spoken): "Vor a Weil han I mir n Kombjuudr kaufd, ober d' Grafilkard end dr Bildschirm warad fudsch, also han I's zagig zurück bracht und d' Kohle z'rückgriegd."

Side note: I think the word broken is mostly used in a different context than in German (kaputt). Americans and Brits mostly would say something "doesn't work" or is "out of order".
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 11:39:13 AM »

English:

Standard German: "Vor einer Weile habe ich mir einen neuen Computer gekauft, aber die Grafikkarte und der Bildschirm waren kaputt, also habe ich ihn schnell zurückgebracht und das Geld erstattet bekommen."

A Swabian would say something like (written as spoken): "Vor a Weil han I mir n Kombjuudr kaufd, ober d' Grafilkard end dr Bildschirm warad fudsch, also han I's zagig zurück bracht und d' Kohle z'rückgriegd."

Side note: I think the word broken is mostly used in a different context than in German (kaputt). Americans and Brits mostly would say something "doesn't work" or is "out of order".

Notice how "a while ago" in English and "vor einer Weile" in Standard German is the same and how "zrugg griagg" in Pinzgauerish and "z'rück griegd" in Swabian is the same.

A Northern German would never say "zurück gegriegt/griagg/kriegt." - always "zurück (erstattet) bekommen".
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 11:44:21 AM »

I also like how there are 3 different German words in 3 different German dialects so far for the English word "broken/doesn't work":

Pinzgauerisch: hineg or hinig (we often just say "hiiiii" in short)
Swabian: futsch or fudsch
Standard German: kaputt
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 11:52:06 AM »

Now, let's try cursing:

"Da Donald Trump is a hinega, vawixxter, schiacha & fetzendeppada Saubeidl."

I'm pretty sure there is no fitting curse-word for Saubeidl in either English or proper German - but it's a well known term across Austria.

In English, the curse-sentence means something like:

"Donald Trump is a broken, wanked-up, ugly & completely stupid pig-scrotum."
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »

If you ever want to insult an Austrian really bad (for whatever reason), use "Du vawixxter, schiacha Saubeidl" and I can guarantee you a 100% that you will get your ass kicked by that person ... Wink
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 07:29:45 PM »

There is a very accurate indicator as to where the borderline between Northern German and Southern German runs; there is a hard, straight isogloss connecting Cologne with Dresden, north of which the Germans call the gardening tool depicted below a Harke, whereas the Germans south of it (+ the Austrians + the German-speaking Swiss) wrongly call it a Rechen, which in truth is actually this kind of gardening tool.

Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 08:21:41 PM »

If you ever want to insult an Austrian really bad (for whatever reason), use "Du vawixxter, schiacha Saubeidl" and I can guarantee you a 100% that you will get your ass kicked by that person ... Wink

How would you translate that into english?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 08:32:17 PM »

Did anyone else read this as "Austri anger man?"
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 09:29:05 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2021, 09:32:23 PM by Mexican Wolf »

"It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love."

And/Or

"You can explain everything to the people provided you truly want them to understand."
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 12:02:54 AM »

There is a very accurate indicator as to where the borderline between Northern German and Southern German runs; there is a hard, straight isogloss connecting Cologne with Dresden, north of which the Germans call the gardening tool depicted below a Harke, whereas the Germans south of it (+ the Austrians + the German-speaking Swiss) wrongly call it a Rechen, which in truth is actually this kind of gardening tool.

Thanks.

But both tools are called Rechen here ... it’s not wrong to call it that way.

Nobody would ever say Harke (WTF ?).
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2021, 12:12:56 AM »

But if someone told you: "Bring mir mal den Rechen!", how could you tell the difference between either tool? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2021, 01:14:38 AM »

But if someone told you: "Bring mir mal den Rechen!", how could you tell the difference between either tool? 🤷🏻‍♂️

If it’s for leaves, I’d bring the one that you linked.

If it’s for earth straightening or potato harvest, I’d bring the one in the picture.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies