President Pete
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 05:15:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President Pete
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: President Pete  (Read 2579 times)
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2021, 10:10:48 AM »

The other thing about ‘Mayo Pete’ I found really odd was that the preferred candidate of most who used the term, Bernie Sanders, is also known for his struggles with gaining African-American support. Like, surely they would have wanted to avoid bringing up what was also one of their guy’s biggest weaknesses?

That's factually wrong. Bernie had a lot of support with young black voters and was frequently the number two choice for many Biden voters. Black voters aren't the anti-progressive anti-woke icons Alben Barkley imagines them to be, they have diverse motivations like any other large group.

Pretty much all of my black friends universally either supported Biden or Bernie, and the answer heavily depended on how old they were and whether they had been to college. None of them gave a rat's ass about Petey, Warren, or Klobz, those were candidates who would have had a real tough time with minority voters in a general election, especially with how Trump was able to gain with a certain antisocial element of various groups that refused to wear masks.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2021, 10:14:51 AM »

The other thing about ‘Mayo Pete’ I found really odd was that the preferred candidate of most who used the term, Bernie Sanders, is also known for his struggles with gaining African-American support. Like, surely they would have wanted to avoid bringing up what was also one of their guy’s biggest weaknesses?

That's factually wrong. Bernie had a lot of support with young black voters and was frequently the number two choice for many Biden voters. Black voters aren't the anti-progressive anti-woke icons Alben Barkley imagines them to be, they have diverse motivations like any other large group.

Pretty much all of my black friends universally either supported Biden or Bernie, and the answer heavily depended on how old they were and whether they had been to college. None of them gave a rat's ass about Petey, Warren, or Klobz, those were candidates who would have had a real tough time with minority voters in a general election, especially with how Trump was able to gain with a certain antisocial element of various groups that refused to wear masks.

Of course Bernie won many black voters by sheer virtue of being the second most popular candidate, but undoubtedly they were his relative weakest demographic, and there were a lot of voters, who, wrongly or rightly, perceived him as being ‘too white’ and out of touch with African-Americans - and not necessarily for ideological reasons, also for image/cultural ones as well.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2021, 10:15:48 AM »

Remember:
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2021, 10:24:16 AM »

Of course Bernie won many black voters by sheer virtue of being the second most popular candidate, but undoubtedly they were his relative weakest demographic, and there were a lot of voters, who, wrongly or rightly, perceived him as being ‘too white’ and out of touch with African-Americans - and not necessarily for ideological reasons, also for image/cultural ones as well.

I would say his weakest demographic was elderly voters, not black voters. Polling showed him as leading among young black voters - at least before the election was ended by Covid, mass dropouts, and a national television liar splitting the progressive vote.

No point continuing to argue about something long in the past though. It's clear that Bernie has lots of influence in the Biden administration, though it would obviously be preferable if he was in the White House himself.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2021, 10:33:02 AM »

"Mayo Pete is racist" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, beyond parody
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2021, 10:36:19 AM »

"Mayo Pete is racist" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, beyond parody

Denial isn't a river in Africa.
slothdem

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2021, 02:50:47 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2021, 02:54:23 PM by slothdem »

Gonna be a lot of surprised people in here 4 years and 2 months from now when Secretary Pete - who will have an Arlington residence and four years of tv appearances with a particular focus on transit between nova and dc - steamrolls the Virginia Gubernatorial Democratic primary against a group of comparably hapless Richmond pols.

Pete's performance in the early primaries really was extremely strong. He had razor thin losses in Iowa and New Hampshire, and a clear base of support. Out of the field, he really was the preferred choice of the pumc, which makes up a significant portion of the democratic primary electorate in a lot of states (Virginia, especially). He is uniquely gifted (but flawed) politician

That said, I don't think he will ever be our nominee for President. Joe gets two terms, and then Kamala gets a shot at it. By 2032 (at the earliest), I think we will have moved on to something new. But the path exists for him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2021, 03:22:38 PM »

Of course as a D I have buyers remorse on Biden, Biden didn't come in on just getting people vaccinated, he came in on the promise to end Covid like he said he would end Cancer, on Obama coattails, that didn't end that well either, my mom died the same yr that his son died, Cancer increased after Obama left office.

Go thru the debates and see what Biden said about ending Covid

Now, that we are stuck with Covid, the Stimulus checks after two months as I Predicted ran out and Unemployment checks are getting 300 more than everyone else
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies