Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is dead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:53:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is dead
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is dead  (Read 5535 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2021, 11:42:54 PM »

Sad, but he lived a long life.

I like his quote about overpopulation.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2021, 02:00:50 AM »

I cannot imagine how Her Majesty The Queen feels at this time. Many people don't even get to live for nearly 74 years, let alone having been married that long. May he RIP.

I hope Her Majesty finds the strength to reign for decades into the future.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2021, 03:43:05 AM »

I cannot imagine how Her Majesty The Queen feels at this time. Many people don't even get to live for nearly 74 years, let alone having been married that long. May he RIP.

Good grief
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2021, 03:47:33 AM »

RIP.

Condolences to HM Elizabeth II and others. I concur with politicallefty's statement in full, quoted below.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2021, 04:56:10 AM »

She is 95 this month, so on balance unlikely.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2021, 05:01:16 AM »

She is 95 this month, so on balance unlikely.

Imagine if she ended up as the last surviving World War 2 vet. The last surviving World War 1 vet was a British woman who died in 2012 at 110.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2021, 09:34:42 AM »

The BBC have set up a special page on their complaints website regarding too much TV coverage of Philip’s passing after being inundated regarding it.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »

Showing exactly the same stuff on their main channels all day yesterday was surely excessive.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »

What happens to the Duke of Edinburgh title? Is it left vacant?

For the time being, it has been inherited by Charles; but it is expected to be recreated in order to be granted to Prince Edward, the only son of the Queen without a Duke title.

This can only happen after Charles becomes King and the Dukedom will merge in the Crown.

Would they actually merge?  it seems like it would be like the situation with the crowns of the United Kingdom and of Hanover that diverged because of different succession rules when Victoria and Ernest Augustus respectively inherited those titles in 1830 upon the death of George IV.  Unlike the royal titles, I believe the Duke of Edinburgh remains a male primogeniture title that would split off from the crown when the United Kingdom has a Queen Regnant with a little brother who inherits the title of Duke of Edinburgh.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2021, 02:04:13 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2021, 02:12:16 PM by Earthling »

For the time being, it has been inherited by Charles; but it is expected to be recreated in order to be granted to Prince Edward, the only son of the Queen without a Duke title.

This can only happen after Charles becomes King and the Dukedom will merge in the Crown.

Would they actually merge?  it seems like it would be like the situation with the crowns of the United Kingdom and of Hanover that diverged because of different succession rules when Victoria and Ernest Augustus respectively inherited those titles in 1830 upon the death of George IV.  Unlike the royal titles, I believe the Duke of Edinburgh remains a male primogeniture title that would split off from the crown when the United Kingdom has a Queen Regnant with a little brother who inherits the title of Duke of Edinburgh.

It doesn't work like that with the title of Duke of Edinburgh. It's not a special kind of Dukedom like that of Cornwall or Rothesay. It's just a royal Dukedom like that of York. And when the holder of the Dukedom becomes the monarch it will merge in the crown, just like in 1936 when Bertie, the Duke of York, became the King. The dukedom was merged in the crown and not created again until the 1980's for Andrew.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2021, 02:10:37 PM »

Would they actually merge?  it seems like it would be like the situation with the crowns of the United Kingdom and of Hanover that diverged because of different succession rules when Victoria and Ernest Augustus respectively inherited those titles in 1830 upon the death of George IV.  Unlike the royal titles, I believe the Duke of Edinburgh remains a male primogeniture title that would split off from the crown when the United Kingdom has a Queen Regnant with a little brother who inherits the title of Duke of Edinburgh.

It doesn't work like that with the title of Duke of Edinburgh. It's not a special kind of Dukedom like that of Cornwall or Rothesay. It's just a royal Dukedom like that of York. And when the holder of the Dukedom becomes the monarch it will merge in the crown, just like in 1936 when Bertie, the Duke of York, became the King. The dukedom was r in the crown and not created again until the 1980's for Andrew.

Also like the first creation of the Dukedom of Edinburgh itself, which merged into the Crown upon George, Prince of Wales' accession to the throne as George III in 1760, as "Duke of Edinburgh" was one of his secondary titles (though it'd previously been his main title through 1751).
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2021, 02:18:50 PM »

It doesn't work like that with the title of Duke of Edinburgh. It's not a special kind of Dukedom like that of Cornwall or Rothesay. It's just a royal Dukedom like that of York. And when the holder of the Dukedom becomes the monarch it will merge in the crown, just like in 1936 when Bertie, the Duke of York, became the King. The dukedom was r in the crown and not created again until the 1980's for Andrew.

Also like the first creation of the Dukedom of Edinburgh itself, which merged into the Crown upon George, Prince of Wales' accession to the throne as George III in 1760, as "Duke of Edinburgh" was one of his secondary titles (though it'd previously been his main title through 1751).

George III was the second Duke. His father (Prince Frederick) got the title from his grandfather George I. George got the title after his father died in 1751. For three weeks it was his title until his grandfather George II made him Prince of Wales (his fathers main title when he died).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2021, 02:42:08 PM »

George III was the second Duke. His father (Prince Frederick) got the title from his grandfather George I. George got the title after his father died in 1751. For three weeks it was his title until his grandfather George II made him Prince of Wales (his fathers main title when he died).

Sorry for any confusion, but first creation ≠ first holder. George III was the 2nd Duke of the dukedom's 1st 1726 creation, Prince Alfred was the only Duke of its 2nd 1866 creation, & following Philip, Charles is now the 2nd Duke of its 3rd 1947 creation (though it obviously remains subsidiary to his main title as Prince of Wales). Sometime after Charles accession' to the throne & the dukedom's resultant merger with the Crown, Prince Edward will be bestowed with the title's 4th creation.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2021, 02:54:08 PM »

Sorry for any confusion, but first creation ≠ first holder. George III was the 2nd Duke of the dukedom's 1st 1726 creation, Prince Alfred was the only Duke of its 2nd 1866 creation, & following Philip, Charles is now the 2nd Duke of its 3rd 1947 creation (though it obviously remains subsidiary to his main title as Prince of Wales). Sometime after Charles accession' to the throne & the dukedom's resultant merger with the Crown, Prince Edward will be bestowed with the title's 4th creation.

Correct, that is the deal.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2021, 03:13:45 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2021, 03:17:00 PM by True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자) »

Would they actually merge?  it seems like it would be like the situation with the crowns of the United Kingdom and of Hanover that diverged because of different succession rules when Victoria and Ernest Augustus respectively inherited those titles in 1830 upon the death of George IV.  Unlike the royal titles, I believe the Duke of Edinburgh remains a male primogeniture title that would split off from the crown when the United Kingdom has a Queen Regnant with a little brother who inherits the title of Duke of Edinburgh.

It doesn't work like that with the title of Duke of Edinburgh. It's not a special kind of Dukedom like that of Cornwall or Rothesay. It's just a royal Dukedom like that of York. And when the holder of the Dukedom becomes the monarch it will merge in the crown, just like in 1936 when Bertie, the Duke of York, became the King. The dukedom was merged in the crown and not created again until the 1980's for Andrew.

Because of the Succession to the Crown Act 2013, I'm sceptical that the Dukedom would merge, as it would now be possible for the Dukedom to diverge from the royal title before becoming extinct upon the lack of an heir male, but I'm not an expert in British law concerning titles of nobility.

That said, even if merger were to still occur upon being inherited by the monarch, it is still possible for the Dukedom to not be inherited by the next monarch if Princes Charles, William, and George all predecease Queen Elizabeth.  If that unlikely and unfortunate set of circumstances were to happen, then upon Queen Elizabeth's death, Princess Charlotte would become Queen while Prince Louis would have previously become Duke of Edinburgh (and Cambridge).

Other than a desire to keep the title alive amongst Prince Philip's heirs, is there any particular reason for Prince Edward to receive specifically the style of Duke of Edinburgh once it is available instead of some other vacant Ducal title, such as Duke of Cleveland?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2021, 04:58:52 PM »

Because of the Succession to the Crown Act 2013, I'm sceptical that the Dukedom would merge, as it would now be possible for the Dukedom to diverge from the royal title before becoming extinct upon the lack of an heir male, but I'm not an expert in British law concerning titles of nobility.

As far as I can tell, there's no provision in the Succession to the Crown Act 2013 that would prevent a title such as "Duke of Edinburgh" from reverting to the Crown in the event that its incumbent holder ascends to King, as it would appear - at least to my eye - that any such titles which they hold would merge with the Crown & functionally become extinct in doing so, regardless of any further male/female divergence that would exist another rung down their lines of succession. At that point, it'd have to be re-created & granted anew for anybody to hold the title once more.

Other than a desire to keep the title alive amongst Prince Philip's heirs, is there any particular reason for Prince Edward to receive specifically the style of Duke of Edinburgh once it is available instead of some other vacant Ducal title, such as Duke of Cleveland?

Not particularly, no. The common theory has seemingly always been that Edward was just Philip's favorite son, & some claim that this has been borne out in Edward having taken on much of the Duke of Edinburgh's activities & the like.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2021, 06:05:20 PM »

This isn't a request for explanation or anything, but y'all are speaking in riddles. I'm so glad I live in a country with no royalty or nobility.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2021, 10:33:08 PM »

This isn't a request for explanation or anything, but y'all are speaking in riddles. I'm so glad I live in a country with no royalty or nobility.

Ahem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_New_Zealand
Estrella

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2021, 04:49:49 AM »

Ahem

I'm not really from there Wink
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2021, 05:21:20 AM »

Ahem

He's Slovak.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2021, 08:05:45 AM »

Its riddles to a lot of us in the UK, believe me Smiley
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2021, 01:31:10 PM »

When Czechoslovakia formed, was their any effort to install the king of Bohemia as monarch?
Estrella

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2021, 03:13:55 PM »

When Czechoslovakia formed, was their any effort to install the king of Bohemia as monarch?

Nope. By then, the position of King of Bohemia had been held by Habsburgs for several centuries. They've become a symbol of foreign oppression, not just in Czechia but also in more conservative Kingdom of Hungary (i.e. Slovakia and Carpathian Ruthenia) whose throne they also held.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2021, 10:27:57 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2021, 11:35:55 AM by Trump's Grumps »

He seemed like the original Grumps so, RIP FF.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2021, 01:37:07 PM »

Ahem

I'm not really from there Wink

I know the feeling! I always have to put a disclaimer when PEI has an election.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies