Russia officially bans same-sex marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:00:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia officially bans same-sex marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Russia officially bans same-sex marriage  (Read 1769 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2021, 05:03:51 PM »

Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 06:15:24 AM »

I thought it was already illegal there. Being gay is basically illegal there. Putin’s well trained goons beat up queer people for fun.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 08:24:52 AM »

Well, this guy is stuffed then:

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:44:55 AM »

Proud of the motherland.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 09:28:00 AM »

Russians are hardcore when it comes to family values and are very traditionalist, so this isn't a surprise.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 09:45:58 AM »

No, but its still nasty and regressive.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 12:54:37 PM »

Russians are hardcore when it comes to family values and are very traditionalist, so this isn't a surprise.

So hardcore that they pointlessly restrict access to an institution that is the cornerstone of family (in a very traditionalist sense, anyway).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 05:11:11 AM »

Aside from eastern Germany, I don't think a single former communist country has SSM.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 05:48:55 AM »

Aside from eastern Germany, I don't think a single former communist country has SSM.

Yes, this is correct that no former communist country has SSM; though it is worth noting some of them have civil unions (Estonia, Hungary and the Czech Republic).

Of the former communist states of the world, I think the Czech Republic is actually fairly likely to legalize gay marriage in the near future as it seems (for whatever reason) much more socially progressive at least in LGBT rights than any other post-communist country.

Polls seem to suggest that same sex marriage is already above water in the Czech Republic (65% support) and only slightly below water (47%) in Slovakia. However other than those 2 it struggles to even reach 30% support anywhere.

Why the 2 Czechoslovak twins are much more progressive on this issue than every other Eastern European country I don't know.

It is worth noting also that the currently communist country of Cuba considered dropping the anti-gay marriage plank from their platform but that got stopped. Still I guess Cuba legalizing gay marriage would not be unthinkable.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 05:55:54 AM »

It wasn't already illegal?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 07:36:12 AM »

East Germany actually legalised gay sex before West Germany.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 08:40:59 AM »

Yes, this is correct that no former communist country has SSM; though it is worth noting some of them have civil unions (Estonia, Hungary and the Czech Republic).

Of the former communist states of the world, I think the Czech Republic is actually fairly likely to legalize gay marriage in the near future as it seems (for whatever reason) much more socially progressive at least in LGBT rights than any other post-communist country.

Polls seem to suggest that same sex marriage is already above water in the Czech Republic (65% support) and only slightly below water (47%) in Slovakia. However other than those 2 it struggles to even reach 30% support anywhere.

Why the 2 Czechoslovak twins are much more progressive on this issue than every other Eastern European country I don't know.

It is worth noting also that the currently communist country of Cuba considered dropping the anti-gay marriage plank from their platform but that got stopped. Still I guess Cuba legalizing gay marriage would not be unthinkable.

Cuba got stopped by the church apparently (which sucks)... Without the church and christianity (or whatever other religion, LGBTQ rights wouldn't even have been an issue in the 21st century).

For some reason, i think Estonia and Poland will someday adopt it too. Czech Republic is probably the first to pass it, followed by Slovakia, Slovenia, Poland and Estonia I think (which order is left to debate). Poland might be a hot take, but if they go the Estonia direction, it might happen but it won't be tomorrow.

I mean Switzerland probably just voted for it, and Italy even doesn't have SSM.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 08:47:35 AM »

The Cuban Constitution does not ban same-sex marriage. Until 2019, Article 36 contained language defining marriage as between a man and a woman. This was repealed in a February 2019 referendum.[55] The current Constitution states that "marriage is a social and legal institution. ... It is based on free will and equality of rights, obligations and legal capacity of the spouses."[1] Nonetheless, statutory laws still contain prohibitions on same-sex marriage, and the country does not recognize civil unions or any other kind of partnership.[56]

A major public campaign by LGBT groups began in late 2017 to amend the Constitution to allow same-sex marriage.[57] In July 2018, the National Assembly approved a new draft constitution which recognized same-sex marriage in Article 68. Amidst pressure from evangelical churches who opposed same-sex marriage—even though President Miguel Díaz-Canel expressed his support for same-sex marriage that September[58]—the National Assembly withdrew the language on 18 December 2018.[59][60][61] As a result of removing the article, same-sex marriage is neither prohibited nor regulated by the new Cuban Constitution. Had the article remained in the draft, it would have needed to go to a referendum in February 2019.[62][63][64] Nevertheless, media outlets spoke of a "revolution within a revolution" or of a "rainbow revolution", and pointed out how quickly the political and societal landscape for LGBT rights has changed, as just a few decades back Cuba imprisoned gay men in labor camps.[65][66]

The National Assembly and Mariela Castro have stated that same-sex marriage will be legalized through a Family Code amendment instead. In March 2019, the Government began popular consultations to look into legalizing same-sex marriage in the Family Code.[67]

It's just the ****ing church that tries everything to stop it.

They're not really concerned about Cuba being a dictatorship, but LGBTQ rights, oh, that's really some kind of issue we have to stop at all costs...

The Cuban church is by far the bigger evil over the Cuban government.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 10:40:26 AM »

Didn't they scrap the death penalty first as well?
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 12:17:40 PM »

Didn't they scrap the death penalty first as well?

No, East Germany abolished it in 1987 (last execution in 1981). West Germany abolished it in 1949 (that is, it was banned from the beginning).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2021, 12:30:39 PM »

Well, societies in which religion plays more dominant role are usually more opposed to SSM. That applies to basically all of Eastern Europe and parts of Southern Europe as well. The United States is a different story here, since SSM is above water in approvals in almost all states.

Apparently not explicitly by law. But there's already law from few years ago that sparked controversies by banning "nontraditional sexual behavior" in public and especially with regards to minors.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 12:52:13 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2021, 05:28:31 PM by Kingpoleon »

It was almost legalized in Weimar Germany in the early 1930s, but something happened which stopped that.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 01:04:46 PM »

The Cuban Constitution does not ban same-sex marriage. Until 2019, Article 36 contained language defining marriage as between a man and a woman. This was repealed in a February 2019 referendum.[55] The current Constitution states that "marriage is a social and legal institution. ... It is based on free will and equality of rights, obligations and legal capacity of the spouses."[1] Nonetheless, statutory laws still contain prohibitions on same-sex marriage, and the country does not recognize civil unions or any other kind of partnership.[56]

A major public campaign by LGBT groups began in late 2017 to amend the Constitution to allow same-sex marriage.[57] In July 2018, the National Assembly approved a new draft constitution which recognized same-sex marriage in Article 68. Amidst pressure from evangelical churches who opposed same-sex marriage—even though President Miguel Díaz-Canel expressed his support for same-sex marriage that September[58]—the National Assembly withdrew the language on 18 December 2018.[59][60][61] As a result of removing the article, same-sex marriage is neither prohibited nor regulated by the new Cuban Constitution. Had the article remained in the draft, it would have needed to go to a referendum in February 2019.[62][63][64] Nevertheless, media outlets spoke of a "revolution within a revolution" or of a "rainbow revolution", and pointed out how quickly the political and societal landscape for LGBT rights has changed, as just a few decades back Cuba imprisoned gay men in labor camps.[65][66]

The National Assembly and Mariela Castro have stated that same-sex marriage will be legalized through a Family Code amendment instead. In March 2019, the Government began popular consultations to look into legalizing same-sex marriage in the Family Code.[67]

It's just the ****ing church that tries everything to stop it.

They're not really concerned about Cuba being a dictatorship, but LGBTQ rights, oh, that's really some kind of issue we have to stop at all costs...

The Cuban church is by far the bigger evil over the Cuban government.

I wasn't aware the Latin American Evangelical grey goo had reached Cuba. Dismaying.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 01:48:10 PM »

Unlike much of the former Soviet bloc, Czechoslovakia was largely areligious even before the Communist takeover. Hence the anti-Communist resistance was mainly secular. So religion-based anti-LGBT sentiments don't have much of a base simply because so few Czechoslovak people are religious.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 01:58:41 PM »

I still find it a little weird that former communist countries in eastern Europe where religion was banned/shunned have rebounded so hard to being the most religious countries in Europe now. On the one hand I can kind of see it as a backlash to communism, but on the other hand you’d think after a few generations grew up without religion, its influence would fade and not resurge so much even post-communism.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 02:04:56 PM »

I think Slovenia has it legal, although sources seem to differ.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 03:49:50 PM »

Well, societies in which religion plays more dominant role are usually more opposed to SSM. That applies to basically all of Eastern Europe and parts of Southern Europe as well. The United States is a different story here, since SSM is above water in approvals in almost all states.
I still find it a little weird that former communist countries in eastern Europe where religion was banned/shunned have rebounded so hard to being the most religious countries in Europe now. On the one hand I can kind of see it as a backlash to communism, but on the other hand you’d think after a few generations grew up without religion, its influence would fade and not resurge so much even post-communism.

I wouldn't say that Russia (except "Caucasus")/Belarus/Ukraina are religious at all. Definitely not urban, and I'd say not even rural are specially religious. The Baltic countries are not religious at all, either. Don't now much about the rest of Eastern Europe, but the rural parts Poland seem to be religious?

I'd say that Spain/Italy are more religious then us. Definitely US is. Probably, even Germany is.

I'd say that Russia/Belarus/Ukraine are becoming gradually less homophobic then they were 10/20/30 years. It is definitely easier to be one now.

But as Russia/Belarus started to encounter economical/political problems and confrontation with "gay-friendly" West, politicians become more willing to antagonize sexual minorities and use other cultural wars tricks as well. I don't quite remember when they seriously started it. May be like 5-10 years ago? Probably, after sanctions that followed wars/annexation? IDK, but it is definitely wasn't a thing until Financial Crisis 2008, when basically all groups had it much better then 5/10/15 etc years ago. The real incomes have been stagnating since then.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2021, 04:15:40 PM »

I think Slovenia has it legal, although sources seem to differ.

No, the parliament approved it in 2015, but it was rejected in a referendum. They have civil partnerships, though.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2021, 05:31:26 PM »

This is known as the orthogenetic secular hypothesis - the idea that when religiosity decreases, it is unable to increase. It has been roundly debunked by sociologists and historians, and even its first theorist renounced it. Indeed, from 1100-1700, English religiosity, as measured by church attendance, was much lower than it is even today.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2021, 05:58:35 PM »

Unlike much of the former Soviet bloc, Czechoslovakia was largely areligious even before the Communist takeover. Hence the anti-Communist resistance was mainly secular. So religion-based anti-LGBT sentiments don't have much of a base simply because so few Czechoslovak people are religious.

One thing people (not just you) don't realize about Czechoslovakia is that despite superifical similarities, by the time the country was created in 1918, Czechia* and Slovakia had been parts of separate countries** for around a millenium. Accordingly, there are sometimes pretty significant cultural differences between them - especially when it comes to religion. What you said applies to Czechia, but certainly not to Slovakia. The latter is very much a Catholic (though nothing close to Poland) and generally conservative country, though in a pretty low-key way: culture wars don't play a very big role in Slovak politics.

* pedantry corner: it's actually Bohemia and Moravia (and bits of Silesia). A person from Brno will appreciate being called a Czech/Bohemian (the same word in Czech) about as much as a Glaswegian will appreciate being called an Englishman.
** slightly iffy what "separate" means given the geopolitical insanities of Middle Ages Europe, and technically not true after 1867, but you get what I mean
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies