L.C. 10.19 - Third Lincoln Constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:13:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L.C. 10.19 - Third Lincoln Constitution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Author Topic: L.C. 10.19 - Third Lincoln Constitution  (Read 6875 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2021, 05:39:49 PM »

This should be ruled frivolous.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2021, 05:41:31 PM »

As far as I can tell, the Council Rules do not give me any such power.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2021, 05:44:50 PM »

As far as I can tell, the Council Rules do not give me any such power.

That should change like yesterday. Yet another reason for reform.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2021, 05:59:29 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2021, 06:07:16 PM by Clinton/Kaine/ Northam/ Biden/Warner voter for Cox »

Also this amendment would protect our AWB from malignant attempts by future councils to repeal it, which would lead to a surge in mass shootings, I believe supporting this amendment is the only reasonable course of action.

In fact, this whole conversation reminds me of a conversation on Discord where someone rightly pointed out IRL American laws are way to lax and people promptly noted that results from the absurd idea that the right to own a killer weapon is legal. Such an idea is absurd in basically any other developed country.

Also I fail to see why this so controversial, all it does is make clear that the Council has the right to regulate gun ownership, protecting people from mass shootings shouldn't be controversial.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2021, 06:15:01 PM »

Also this amendment would protect our AWB from malignant attempts by future councils to repeal it, which would lead to a surge in mass shootings, I believe supporting this amendment is the only reasonable course of action.

In fact, this whole conversation reminds me of a conversation on Discord where someone rightly pointed out IRL American laws are way to lax and people promptly noted that results from the absurd idea that the right to own a killer weapon is legal. Such an idea is absurd in basically any other developed country.

Also I fail to see why this so controversial, all it does is make clear that the Council has the right to regulate gun ownership, protecting people from mass shootings shouldn't be controversial.

This is hard for me because I totally would support you if this was a straight vote on guns. But I have to consider the larger proposal at hand. Given that Labor support for a new constitution may not be near unanimous, some centrist/conservative support is needed. Therefore a reconfiguring of the Atlasian equivalent of the second amendment shall have to wait for another day. Ensuring the new constitution has the votes to pass, here and at referendum, is more important.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2021, 06:16:04 PM »

This is hard for me because I totally would support you if this was a straight vote on guns. But I have to consider the larger proposal at hand. Given that Labor support for a new constitution may not be near unanimous, some centrist/conservative support is needed. Therefore a reconfiguring of the Atlasian equivalent of the second amendment shall have to wait for another day. Ensuring the new constitution has the votes to pass, here and at referendum, is more important.

Would you be open to leaving the first line as is, and just adding the second line?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2021, 06:17:45 PM »

Would you be open to leaving the first line as is, and just adding the second line?

I believe it is best to vote down the amendment and leave the matter for another day.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2021, 06:24:45 PM »

This is a poison pill, get it out.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2021, 06:31:52 PM »

nay, i'm against putting such ordinary legislation into the counstition.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2021, 06:44:26 PM »

nay, i'm against putting such ordinary legislation into the counstition.

We're still voting on the last amendment regarding election timing at this stage.

AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2021, 08:31:15 PM »

Objection to this amendment:

2. The Chamber shall consist of five members, except when there are 9 or more candidates on the ballot in a regular election, in which case it shall be 7, or if there are less than 5 candidates running, in which case the number of candidates shall be one less than those contesting the election chosen every second month by the eligible voters of Lincoln, according to a method of proportional representation prescribed by law.

I would prefer the number of members be equal to, not less than, the number of candidates when there are less than five candidates. The Chamber shouldn't be too small, and if it's okay for everyone to win in a five-candidate election, why not the same for a four-candidate election?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2021, 08:35:51 PM »

This would be solved by a fixed 5 member legislature, but I understand that's not very popular
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2021, 08:50:46 PM »

The change to 4 month elections passes on a 3-2 vote.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2021, 08:52:09 PM »

I'm not a fan of four month elections at all, but if that's what the legislature wants...
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2021, 08:55:49 PM »

I will not support a fixed 5 member legislature.

Some more votes to start up:

Ballot:

2. The Chamber shall consist of five members, except when there are nine or more candidates on the ballot in a regular election, in which case it shall be seven, or if there are less than five candidates running, in which case the number of candidates shall be one less than those contesting the election chosen every second month by the eligible voters of Lincoln, according to a method of proportional representation prescribed by law.

[ ] Aye
[ ] No
[ ] Abstain

5. A well-regulated militia being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of citizens to keep and bear non-military grade arms within reason shall not be completely infringed. No part of this clause shall be interpreted as precluding the Lincoln Chamber from passing gun control measures or other restrictions on gun ownership.

[ ] Aye
[ ] No
[ ] Abstain

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2021, 08:57:49 PM »

I think that first amendment has incorrect wording, so urging a no vote on both.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2021, 08:59:17 PM »

I will not support a fixed 5 member legislature.

Some more votes to start up:

Ballot:

2. The Chamber shall consist of five members, except when there are nine or more candidates on the ballot in a regular election, in which case it shall be seven, or if there are less than five candidates running, in which case the number of candidates shall be one less than those contesting the election chosen every second month by the eligible voters of Lincoln, according to a method of proportional representation prescribed by law.

[ X] Aye
[ ] No
[ ] Abstain

5. A well-regulated militia being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of citizens to keep and bear non-military grade arms within reason shall not be completely infringed. No part of this clause shall be interpreted as precluding the Lincoln Chamber from passing gun control measures or other restrictions on gun ownership.

[ ] Aye
[X ] No
[ ] Abstain

AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2021, 09:15:53 PM »

No
No
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2021, 09:29:47 PM »

Ballot:

[ X ] Aye
[ ] No
[ ] Abstain

[ X ] Aye
[ ] No
[ ] Abstain

[/quote]
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2021, 10:09:25 PM »

Nay on the first
Nay on the second
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »

The amendments that were not objected to (regarding religion and redrafting) are adopted.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2021, 02:58:06 PM »

Aye on the first
Nay on the seoncd.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2021, 03:28:32 PM »

Switching to symbolic Aye on the second since it is failing anyways.

First Amendment (<5 candidates) passes 3-2
Second Amendment (guns) fails 2-3

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2021, 03:34:16 PM »

Wait why the four month legislature? That’s longer than a House term!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »

Wait why the four month legislature? That’s longer than a House term!

Longer terms allow for the session to be more productive
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies