S.21.1-12: B.E.N.S.O.N. Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:51:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.21.1-12: B.E.N.S.O.N. Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.21.1-12: B.E.N.S.O.N. Act (Tabled)  (Read 550 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2021, 03:58:00 PM »
« edited: April 21, 2021, 03:37:12 PM by tmthforu94 »

A BILL FOR AN ACT
protecting Southern pets in animal shelters from nonanesthetic

BE IT ENACTED BY THE SOUTHERN CHAMBER.

Section 1, TITLE AND DEFINITIONS.
1. The title of this Act shall be, the "Banning Euthanization that’s Non-Saintly Or Nonanesthetic Act."
2. The abbreviated title of this Act shall be, the "B.E.N.S.O.N. Act."
3. A “nonanesthetic” is any drug or gas used in a euthanasia process that does not have anesthetic effects.
4. A “pet housing facility” is any establishment or organization (public or private) that houses animals and operates within the Southern Region.

Section 2, TEXT.
1. No person or pet housing facility under the authority of the Southern Region shall knowingly euthanize or authorize the euthanasia of any animal within a pet housing facility using any form of a nonanesthetic.
2. A violation of this Act shall be classified as a misdemeanor.
Sponsor: Koopa

Minimum 48 hours for debate. The sponsor is invited to advocate for the bill.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »

I would like to hear fhtagn's thoughts on this bill. I don't know enough about this topic right now
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 08:14:31 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2021, 08:18:41 PM by #FreeSanchez »

While I can understand the sentiments of this bill and can agree with it for larger animals, under this bill, if I am understanding it right, would outlaw the use of CO2 for the purpose of euthanizing animals. My concern if that is the case is that CO2 is actually the most commonly used and most humane method of euthanizing smaller animals, such as mice, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc. While pentobarbital is a safe and humane method that this bill would allow for in larger animals, there is no way to effectively administer it to smaller animals without injecting it directly into organs, which is a painful process for the animals, which I feel defeats the purpose of this bill. As someone who has been heavily involved in exotic animal rescue for many years, I've always personally opted for CO2 in small rodents/similar animals.

I'm also curious how this would apply to rural farms, where access to approved forms of euthanasia in this bill may not be accessible when it is needed for animals in their care.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 12:43:05 AM »

I do not think I can support the bill as currently worded, taking into account fhtagn's post above.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 12:15:46 PM »

Also would like to point out I realize that there are other forms of euthanasia besides pentobarbital and CO2, those just happen to be the ones most commonly discussed and used IRL.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 12:21:39 PM »

This might be a handy resource in situations involving livestock animals on farms for those interested in learning more:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946141/
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:57:34 PM »

Sorry for not advocating, I felt like what I intended for the bill was already written on there. Tongue

While I can understand the sentiments of this bill and can agree with it for larger animals, under this bill, if I am understanding it right, would outlaw the use of CO2 for the purpose of euthanizing animals. My concern if that is the case is that CO2 is actually the most commonly used and most humane method of euthanizing smaller animals, such as mice, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc. While pentobarbital is a safe and humane method that this bill would allow for in larger animals, there is no way to effectively administer it to smaller animals without injecting it directly into organs, which is a painful process for the animals, which I feel defeats the purpose of this bill. As someone who has been heavily involved in exotic animal rescue for many years, I've always personally opted for CO2 in small rodents/similar animals.

A valid concern. Maybe an amendment that says that animals with a weight or mass below X ounces are exempt from this bill?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 03:44:27 PM »

Sorry for not advocating, I felt like what I intended for the bill was already written on there. Tongue

A valid concern. Maybe an amendment that says that animals with a weight or mass below X ounces are exempt from this bill?

It might have to involve some further research to determine where the line is drawn. Additionally, I'd like to see exemptions regarding livestock animals to allow farmers and ranchers to use methods deemed acceptable by the AVMA, as some methods that are included would be outlawed under this bill, but in rural communities, would be the quickest, safest, and most compassionate methods if they cannot acquire a vet to administer the legally accepted method at the time it is needed.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 08:35:56 PM »

Perhaps this bill can be transformed as a research funding bill to further investigate the issue?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 09:00:23 PM »

Perhaps this bill can be transformed as a research funding bill to further investigate the issue?
That sounds good.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 11:32:53 AM »

Anyone have a specific dollar amount in mind? $10 million?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 12:32:47 AM »

Anyone have a specific dollar amount in mind? $10 million?
I guess that's a good starting amount.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 12:41:25 AM »

I motion to table this legislation.

While I understand the sentiment behind this bill, I think that its going to be difficult to craft legislation on this issue. I think its difficult to draw an exact line as to which animals should be covered and which shouldn't - additionally, I'm concerned about the point fhtagn raised that many rural farms will have difficulties compiling with the proposed law.

I think it is best to just leave this issue to be managed by local laws or to government regulators, though I'm open to revisiting this stance in the future if a workable framework can be devised.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 12:53:03 AM »

I motion to table this legislation.

While I understand the sentiment behind this bill, I think that its going to be difficult to craft legislation on this issue. I think its difficult to draw an exact line as to which animals should be covered and which shouldn't - additionally, I'm concerned about the point fhtagn raised that many rural farms will have difficulties compiling with the proposed law.

I think it is best to just leave this issue to be managed by local laws or to government regulators, though I'm open to revisiting this stance in the future if a workable framework can be devised.
I agree. The regional government shouldn't be in the business of telling which animals should live and die.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 01:45:02 PM »

I agree, this bill requires a decent amount of work and there doesn't seem to be a desire by anyone (including myself) to take the time to do it.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »

Since there seems to be support for the motion, I will start a vote to table.

Aye
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 07:51:21 PM »

Present
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 08:20:37 PM »

Aye to tabling
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 08:35:57 PM »

I am not sure if I am willing to give up on this just yet but I get why others are.

Present on tabling
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 11:19:29 PM »

Reluctant Aye though I loved the name. Sad

If anyone can commit time to working and researching through a good amendment on this, I'll change my vote. I unfortunately just don't have the time over the course of the next few days. Sad
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 12:59:18 PM »

With three Ayes and two Present, this legislation is tabled.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies