Erdogan snubs/ridicules von der Leyen @ meeting in Turkey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Erdogan snubs/ridicules von der Leyen @ meeting in Turkey
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Erdogan snubs/ridicules von der Leyen @ meeting in Turkey  (Read 585 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2021, 11:02:47 AM »

Turkey's leader is under fire for snubbing one of Europe's highest-ranking female diplomats.

European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen was forced to sit on a couch after only two chairs were laid out for her male counterparts during discussions in the country's capital Ankara.

She was led to a room, along with European Council chief Charles Michel, for talks with Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

But TV images show that only two chairs were laid out in front of the EU and the Turkish flags for the three leaders.

Mr Michel and Mr Erdogan took the chairs as Ms von der Leyen stood looking at both men, expressing her astonishment with an "ehm" and a gesture of disappointment.

She eventually sat on a large beige sofa, away from her male counterparts for the two-and-a-half-hour meeting.

"The important thing is that the president should have been seated exactly in the same manner as the president of the European council and the Turkish president," EU commission chief spokesman Eric Mamer said of the faux pas.

Mr Mamer said Ms Von der Leyen was surprised by the arrangements.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-08/ursula-von-der-leyen-left-standing-turkey-meeting-recep-erdogan/100054868
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 11:04:30 AM »

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 11:33:35 AM »

When I think of oppressed women, I don't think of Ursula Von Der Leyen, I think of the hundreds of thousands of young women on the dole, not to mention the elder ones dead, that she let down with her terrible vaccine procurement unpreparedness and generalised incompetence, to the extent that (EPP-sponsored) POLITICO was even briefing against her.

I'll play the tinyest of violins for her, and highlight that Michel once again acts like a self-important heavyweight too when he is just a serial election loser and Macron's cuck.
Pick Up the Phone

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 11:46:20 AM »

Von der Leyen is a smart and seasoned career politician. She should be expected to handle such cheap provocations professionally - and I'm glad she did. No reason to throw a tantrum à la Trump.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 12:03:46 PM »

Europe should treat Turkey as North Korea.

Why do we even go there. Let them rot. Ursula Von Der Leyen had to leave immediately. It's disgusting towards every woman on this global world.

I don't want a European president who let herself be humiliated like this.

We should show Turkey that you can not mock / snub / ridicule the western world, and say: ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Extremely hard (economical) sanctions that will cripple that nation
Block all aid, all financial support, and forbid them to become a EU member
Recognize Rojava territory
Annex Northern Cyprus, and give back that territory to Cyprus
Occupy European Turkey and give this territory under control of the Greeks
Block the Bosporus with ships
Block all trade
Block all travel from and towards Turkey
Start negotiations with Syria and Iraq to recognize the Rojava territory and to acknowledge Assad's rule over the rest of Syria, because the conflict needs to end, and destroy all of ISIS. Work together with Russia on this issue.

Perhaps give Erdogan a sincere warning that this will happen next time this happens, but the next time this ing happens or Erdogan start doing this kind of stuff and continue to ridicule all of Europe, show them our strength (and start implementing phasing of sanctions).

That will learn them to provoke us
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 12:08:13 PM »

And it's not this alone. Just this week, they started prosecuting (and executing) HDP party members. It needs to stop. We are way too forgiving for nations such as Turkey that have no single part of decency left.

Europe is way too soft in foreign policy, and people are abusing this.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 12:12:28 PM »

gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 12:17:01 PM »

are you willing to die as a soldier to act upon your demands? i only highlighted the most obvious one but all of your suggestions are frankly out there. turkey is not a colony that you can dictate terms too, they can punch back
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 12:21:49 PM »

are you willing to die as a soldier to act upon your demands? i only highlighted the most obvious one but all of your suggestions are frankly out there. turkey is not a colony that you can dictate terms too, they can punch back

Well just execute economical sanction. If we sanction Russia, we should sanction Turkey. But yes I overreacted a bit and i'm sorry. I was a bit angry for other reasons. Wouldn't do that of course.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 12:22:28 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2021, 12:26:06 PM by Vaccinated Russian Bear »

Europe should treat Turkey as North Korea.

Why do we even go there. Let them rot. Ursula Von Der Leyen had to leave immediately. It's disgusting towards every woman on this global world.

I don't want a European president who let herself be humiliated like this.

We should show Turkey that you can not mock / snub / ridicule the western world, and say: ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

Extremely hard (economical) sanctions that will cripple that nation
Block all aid, all financial support, and forbid them to become a EU member
Recognize Rojava territory
Annex Northern Cyprus, and give back that territory to Cyprus
Occupy European Turkey and give this territory under control of the Greeks
Block the Bosporus with ships
Block all trade
Block all travel from and towards Turkey
Start negotiations with Syria and Iraq to recognize the Rojava territory and to acknowledge Assad's rule over the rest of Syria, because the conflict needs to end, and destroy all of ISIS. Work together with Russia on this issue.

Perhaps give Erdogan a sincere warning that this will happen next time this happens, but the next time this ing happens or Erdogan start doing this kind of stuff and continue to ridicule all of Europe, show them our strength (and start implementing phasing of sanctions).

That will learn them to provoke us

EU is Erdogan's bitch and will be treated like one as long as EU doesn't fix the immigration issue. Until then Erdogan can always threaten to open up the hell of immigration on EU which would probably destroy EU.

By the way, if Nord Korea had border with EU, it would be a whole different story.
Pick Up the Phone

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 01:53:48 PM »

Well just execute economical sanction. If we sanction Russia, we should sanction Turkey.

Imposing economic sanctions is a possible reaction to blatant violations of international law (Russia).
Imposing economic sanctions is NOT a possible reaction to not be offered a chair (Turkey).

Get real. This is politics - not kindergarten. There is a major difference between the illegal annexation of Crimea and a breach of diplomatic protocol.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 02:18:50 PM »

Well just execute economical sanction. If we sanction Russia, we should sanction Turkey.

Imposing economic sanctions is a possible reaction to blatant violations of international law (Russia).
Imposing economic sanctions is NOT a possible reaction to not be offered a chair (Turkey).

Get real. This is politics - not kindergarten. There is a major difference between the illegal annexation of Crimea and a breach of diplomatic protocol.

It's more than that.

This is also deeply sexist and anti-woman in general.

She should always have left. At least i would have done that. Every self-respecting woman LEAVES at that point.

And this is something both the right and the left in my country has said. It's not a left vs right issue. It's common sense.

You show some decency and respect towards your guests. And i don't care if this is kindergarten or the international political theater, this is something that should be respected.

And you know pretty well that this is just more than just a breach of diplomatical protocol. You compare this to the annexation of Crimea, but have you read about what Turkey has done and is doing right now, mainly towards Kurds?

If you ask me, far more serious than anything Russia has done so far
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 02:29:39 PM »

Michel should have left the seat for her. Problem solved and Erdogan triggered.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 06:59:59 AM »

Michel should have left the seat for her. Problem solved and Erdogan triggered.

Dream on, LMAO.

He didn't, because he/EU has no balls. Let's hope that when Merkel is gone, Flawless Liberal Macron has more say in the Eunuch Foreign Policy of EU.

"But I was also convinced that (objecting) would create a much more serious incident that would destroy... our ability to finally have a slightly less negative relationship with Turkey," Michel told Belgian television.

Super Mario Cheesy
Pragmatic, but blunt here (accidentally?).
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 09:43:46 AM »

Erdogan - he makes von der Leyen look good and sympathetic in comparison.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 01:07:34 PM »

Domestic consumption in both EU and Turkey. That explains this.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 02:57:13 PM »

There's now a diplomatic crisis between Italy and Turkey after Prime Minister Mario Draghi called Erdogan a "dictator". Erdogan demanded an apology, which was rejected. Draghi gets applause from right and leftwing parties at home.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies