Democrats Only: Which Democrat would you have preferred as President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:04:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Democrats Only: Which Democrat would you have preferred as President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Q. Above
Joe Biden was already my choice

Bernie Sanders

Elizabeth Warren

Michael Bloomberg

Pete Buttigieg

Amy Klobuchar

Other / I'm a Republican, Independent, etc

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 144

Author Topic: Democrats Only: Which Democrat would you have preferred as President?  (Read 3763 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2021, 11:18:11 PM »

I think most Democrats can agree that we're elated with Joe Biden's defeat of Donald Trump. But he wasn't the first choice among many of us. Which Democrat would you, putting all other factors aside, preferred to have been elected President?

Absolutely Elizabeth Warren for me. I think she could've truly been an FDR level President; particularly with just a slightly larger Senate majority.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 11:33:46 PM »

The one who was on track to winning the nomination before the Democratic establishment rushed to stack the deck against him.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 11:58:07 PM »

I was a firm Sanders supporter right up until the end of the primary, but I really have begun to think in recent months that Warren might have been the better choice.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 12:23:16 AM »

Maybe Bloomberg, but I never thought he would have good chances in the general.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 12:39:44 AM »

Joe Mama, babyy!!
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 12:51:35 AM »

Elizabeth Warren, but I knew she was unelectable so I went with Biden in the primary and general. I’m honestly very happy thus far.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 04:43:53 AM »

No longer one of these, but I'd still be one if Sanders had been nominated. He was more electable.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 09:05:30 AM »

I was basically with Biden after Harris dropped and I'm sticking with that.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 12:02:58 PM »

Sanders is my favorite, and the experience of the primary solidifies Warren sinking to third beneath Biden (or maybe even fourth beneath Klob).
Kamala’s side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 12:22:00 PM »

Warren, no contest. If I thought either Biden or Sanders were objectively good (not just eLeCtAbLe) candidates, I might've supported them in the primaries.

The most viable path to beat Biden for the nomination without a Biden own goal would have been an economic leftist candidate with a socially conservative streak.  Think of the original Two-Income Trap Warren platform circa 2005.  Such a candidate would have done exceptionally well in the COVID environment, too, likely having a bigger GE victory than Biden

Going forward, and with younger candidates, the most viable outsider path is probably going to be a more polished/experienced version of Yang.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 01:13:35 PM »

Uncle Joe Purple heart

Was with him from the day he announced.
Motorcity

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 01:16:43 PM »

My heart says Bernie

But I doubt any other man could unite the Democrats and pass 1.9 trillion as quickly as they did. Someone who united everyone from Bernie to Joe Manchin. With another 4 trillion on the way and all the planned goodies for FY 2023
jdk
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -0.68, S: -5.39

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 05:10:47 PM »

The one who was on track to winning the nomination before the Democratic establishment millions of voters rushed to stack the deck against him go to to polls and vote for someone else that they liked better.
FTFY
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 05:18:44 PM »

The one who was on track to winning the nomination before the Democratic establishment millions of voters rushed to stack the deck against him go to to polls and vote for someone else that they liked better.
FTFY
This only happened because Obama told Buttigieg & Klobuchar to drop out in the days between SC and ST. Without that, Sanders would have won MA/ME/MN/TX and still be in the driver's seat.

My point still stands - Biden only won because the Democratic establishment stacked the deck in his favor.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 05:30:46 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2021, 05:47:51 PM by 215 till I die »

Bernie/Lizzie would've been the dream for full SocDem policies but as the year unfolded it's clear only Biden could've won. Biden's political positions are "Generic Democrat", and that's what they needed to unify the base and consolidate support w/independents vs an incumbent. Thing is an incumbent usually only loses when their base is fractured, it was clear as the early numbers came in that Trump had only expanded his base. A more leftist Dem would've been susceptible to the rally-around-the-flag effect.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 05:34:03 PM »

Beautiful flawless  Purple heart Green heart Yellow heart Blue heart Kamala Yellow heart Blue heart Purple heart Green heart of course!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 06:36:15 PM »

If I were to pick one to be POTUS, Klobuchar.  I also think she would have won.  I'm not positive though, and since we know Biden beat Trump, it might have been best that he got the nomination.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 06:52:01 PM »

Probably Warren. Biden, especially with how his tenure has been going so far, is a close second. Even if I were to support Sanders, had he been nominated, I'm just not sure if I would ever be confident that he could deliver n his promises like I do with Biden and Warren.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 07:22:52 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2021, 05:12:48 AM by brucejoel99 »

FTFY
This only happened because Obama told Buttigieg & Klobuchar to drop out in the days between SC and ST. Without that, Sanders would have won MA/ME/MN/TX and still be in the driver's seat.

My point still stands - Biden only won because the Democratic establishment stacked the deck in his favor.

Even in the event that Bernie had won those states, they don't negate the inevitable Biden wins that would still take place in states like FL, IL, AZ, GA, LA. Pete & Klobuchar endorsing Biden "sTaCkEd ThE dEcK" in his favor no more than AOC's endorsement of Bernie stacked the deck for him in terms of consolidating the progressive lane.
MARGINS6729
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 03:30:14 AM »

FTFY

Bernie is... NOT A DEMOCRAT. Why should Bernie have even been allowed to compete in the Democratic Primary at all? Period. And Bernie was a horrendous candidate, he is way too far to the left of the country, Trump would have beaten him.
MARGINS6729
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 03:30:55 AM »

Bernie/Lizzie would've been the dream for full SocDem policies but as the year unfolded it's clear only Biden could've won. Biden's political positions are "Generic Democrat", and that's what they needed to unify the base and consolidate support w/independents vs an incumbent. Thing is an incumbent usually only loses when their base is fractured, it was clear as the early numbers came in that Trump had only expanded his base. A more leftist Dem would've been susceptible to the rally-around-the-flag effect.

Yep.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 05:47:45 AM »

FTFY

You say that like there is something wrong with that.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 05:18:31 PM »

Biden > Buttigieg > Warren > Klobuchar > Sanders > Bloomberg
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 05:20:42 PM »

Sanders was my first choice, followed by Warren. Biden was somewhere in the middle until he won the primary. Bloomberg was by far my least favorite choice among the Dem candidates.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 05:23:33 PM »

[1] Bernie Sanders
[2] Elizabeth Warren
[3] Joe Biden
[4] Amy Klobuchar

The rest suck.
Pages: [1] 2