2022: Midterm Madness (interest thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:34:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2022: Midterm Madness (interest thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What's your preferred game style?
Option 1 (multiple Senate races, first come first serve)

Option 2 (single statewide race, primary and general phases)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: 2022: Midterm Madness (interest thread)  (Read 6107 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« on: April 07, 2021, 05:28:28 PM »
« edited: April 30, 2021, 05:46:17 PM by VP OBD »

Based on KaiserDave's congressional district, I had an idea for a 2022 midterm game. I have two ideas for how this could work:

1) This is my preferred idea. There'll be 4 Senate races (probably PA/NC/AZ/GA) up for players to contest, with one Democrat and one Republican per race on a first come first serve basis. If more than 8 people want to play, more Senate races can be added. Additionally, Senate candidates are also allowed to influence House races in their state, using new maps that I can draw for this game (with HR1 passed these maps will prioritize fairness and competitiveness). There will be no primary phase, which should make bringing this game to a close a lot easier (also lets everyone in the game play to the end).

2) Instead of doing multiple races in a long general election phase, I can pick one Senate or Gubernatorial race to do a KaiserDave-style single race game. Open seat races like AZ-Gov or NC-Sen could be the most interesting (though I'd also be partial to an OR-Gov game, perhaps with a third-party leftie in the mix as well). Unlike the first concept, this would have a full primary and general phase.

Thoughts? I would also use the new county results tool to provide pretty detailed election nights if possible.

Update: We're doing 1).

Reservations

North Carolina: Mark Walker (S019) vs. Joan Higginbotham (Mycool)

Pennsylvania: Ryan Costello (Joeinator) vs. Matt Cartwright (Falterin)

Arizona: Russell Bowers (Brother Jonathan) vs. Mark Kelly (Ishan)

Georgia: Doug Collins (Kuumo) vs. Raphael Warnock (Kaiser)

Wisconsin: Scott Walker (NYE) vs. Tom Nelson (Orwell)

New Hampshire: Republican vs. Democrat

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 06:11:15 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2021, 06:15:24 PM by VP OBD »

Haven't heard a lot in the thread but judging by the poll it looks like people are interested in Option 1.

I'll open the floor for reservations now. Lara Trump (R-NC) has already been taken. These are on a first come first serve basis. In AZ and GA, I would prefer that Mark Kelly and Raphael Warnock be selected as candidates.

I have final say over which candidates will be allowed (e.g. no Alex Jones somehow winning a primary in Arizona). I'll be liberal about this but please try not to be too outrageous with these. Fictional characters are allowed if you can provide a compelling backstory, but again I'll make the final decisions here. Once all 8 slots are filled I'll open more Senate races or 3rd party slots.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 06:14:36 PM »

I’d like to play as Matt Cartwright in Pennsylvania if that’s possible, though I would be willing to play in any race to help the game work.
Granted, for now. I'll inform you if I need you to switch over.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 07:46:27 PM »

Granted.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 10:42:55 PM »

Granted!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 01:26:37 AM »

Too bad New Hampshire's not available, because for some reason, I have a hankering to play as Kelly Ayotte.

I'll join as Doug Collins.
Granted. If more people join you can switch later Smiley
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 06:19:46 PM »

lmao

assuming this isn't a claim though because that would conflict :/
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 11:23:21 PM »

lmao

assuming this isn't a claim though because that would conflict :/

No not a claim, just joking around. I am interested in the game, I may wait for NH or WI to open up before I signup though.
Alright, sounds good. Hopefully someone can take the D-NC slot.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 02:02:44 PM »

I think I finally have time to devote to one of these games again (hi, it's been a year since I've been regularly active)! I'll take Joan Higginbotham for NC-Sen, time to make an astronaut caucus.
Welcome back!

And with that, I'm going to open up New Hampshire and Wisconsin. Not sure if we can fill up both races but we'll see! If I don't have a full roster for them I can have the player there play against an NPC or something.

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 04:51:57 PM »

I'll take Tom Nelson as a candidate for WI Senate.
Granted. Welcome aboard!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 07:33:51 PM »

Anyway, as Kaiser's game is wrapping up in about 2 weeks, I'll be aiming to start this game around then. Sign-ups remain open until and past that point - I'd like to have every race currently open filled with active players.

Regarding rules and other game mechanics, I have finished the congressional district maps and am currently developing initial polling and official rules, so stay tuned! For the sake of not turning this into Political Geography and Demographics I'm not taking feedback on congressional maps unless there's an especially egregious violation, though.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 08:30:17 PM »

Yeah hate to say it Laki but Iowa is not going to be an option, barring a surge in demand for this game. Hopefully you're able to pick one of New Hampshire or Wisconsin-R, but also you can probably switch with someone if you really want a taken spot.

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 10:42:35 AM »

It would take a lot of sign-ups for Iowa to become an option. After New Hampshire and Wisconsin would probably be Nevada and Florida, Colorado and Ohio, and maybe Vermont and Alaska before Illinois and Iowa would become available.

Huh Vermont and Alaska before Iowa comes available.

Iowa is likely going to be an open election

It will flip before Colorado, Ohio, Vermont, Alaska, Florida and certainly Illinois. Iowa is certainly one of the most competitive elections in 2022 if we nominate the right person. We have a much bigger chance in winning Iowa instead of Florida.
I think I would make Iowa available before Vermont, but regardless I don't think we're going to get to the point where we can add a 4th set of races - I'm actually worried that we won't be able to fill WI/NH.
I take Mike Lindell moving to Wisconsin through carpetbagging than i guess just for the lolz.
Not a huge fan of this. I've been pretty lax about candidate choices though, so if you really want to I'll permit it but there will probably be some sort of a carpetbagging penalty.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 01:07:24 PM »

Nevermind than, i don't think i can have fun with any of the parties or options left over.

Wisconsin GOP is boring as hell, and so is New Hampshire GOP and Maggie Hassan.

Oof

As we don't have any NH signups yet, the other option is to do Nevada if that would interest you more. If Orwell is willing to switch off Wisconsin that's an option as well - bottom line I need to have a balanced number of D and R held seats and ideally all races will be completely filled
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 01:23:48 AM »

Gonna get a gamethread up tomorrow to hopefully keep the interest cooking. Races with both candidates set will receive polls.

Also, requesting that new players fill Wisconsin-R (or get Orwell to agree to switch to another race) so we can have 5 full races. If no new players come forward I can probably have Orwell face an NPC Wisconsin Republican if he's okay with that.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »

Gonna get a gamethread up tomorrow to hopefully keep the interest cooking. Races with both candidates set will receive polls.

Also, requesting that new players fill Wisconsin-R (or get Orwell to agree to switch to another race) so we can have 5 full races. If no new players come forward I can probably have Orwell face an NPC Wisconsin Republican if he's okay with that.

I'm open changing to wherever is needed
Great!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 08:45:48 AM »

Is there room for late entrants?

I have an interest in entering the the Georgia Republican Senate Primary as Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Georgia is filled, if a late spot is allowed and idk if it is, it'd be either New Hampshire or the Republican in Wisconsin

Then, assuming late entrants are allowed, I'd like to do everyone a favor and take Maggie Hassan.
Alright. Orwell, would you be willing to take a gOP candidate in NH?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 06:33:05 PM »

Is there room for late entrants?

I have an interest in entering the the Georgia Republican Senate Primary as Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Georgia is filled, if a late spot is allowed and idk if it is, it'd be either New Hampshire or the Republican in Wisconsin

Then, assuming late entrants are allowed, I'd like to do everyone a favor and take Maggie Hassan.
Alright. Orwell, would you be willing to take a gOP candidate in NH?

If Orwell isn't interested in being a New Hampshire Republican, I'm willing to be a Wisconsin Republican (either Scott Walker or Rebecca Kleefisch would do if that were required.)

I will contact Orwell about this. But (hopefully), welcome to the game!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 05:38:42 PM »

He has not responded to my inquiry. So no worries about not posting anything!

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 12:51:01 PM »

I apologize for not posting anything yet.

I'm still waiting for Orwell to decide which race he wants to run in. Have you heard from him?
I'd like to stick with Wisconsin. Sorry for the late response, I've been quite busy with school, should all be cleared up now.
Alright. NYE, would you be willing to switch to a WI Republican? As Orwell got here first I'd like to defer to him on this.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 04:28:12 PM »

I apologize for not posting anything yet.

I'm still waiting for Orwell to decide which race he wants to run in. Have you heard from him?
I'd like to stick with Wisconsin. Sorry for the late response, I've been quite busy with school, should all be cleared up now.
Alright. NYE, would you be willing to switch to a WI Republican? As Orwell got here first I'd like to defer to him on this.

That would be fine with me. Either Scott Walker or Rebecca Kleefisch would be my choice.
Sounds good. You both are approved (once you officially pick one), and I'll work on polling shortly.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 08:52:46 PM »

ODB, could you do me a favor and post the candidates in the Wisconsin Governor's race?
Governor Tony Evers is facing Fmr. Rep. Sean Duffy in a race that thus far appears to be competitive.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2021, 01:13:17 PM »

Okay, Wisconsin update has been added to the first turn post. Reminder that the deadline is May 9th - I'll be flexible with the Wisconsin people but hopefully the rest of y'all can get your posts in by then.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2021, 03:04:59 PM »

Okay guys so BJ (Russel Bowers, R-AZ) can't play anymore. Who here can fill in? If possible I'd rather it be a new person but if no one else steps up I'm OK with someone doubling up.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2021, 05:15:08 PM »

Okay guys so BJ (Russel Bowers, R-AZ) can't play anymore. Who here can fill in? If possible I'd rather it be a new person but if no one else steps up I'm OK with someone doubling up.

I'm having enough trouble as Walker.

UWS might be interested, however.
I'd be happy to welcome UWS to the game. If he wishes to switch to a different candidate that's fine as well.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies