What's one album/book/movie that made you into the person you are today? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:25:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's one album/book/movie that made you into the person you are today? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's one album/book/movie that made you into the person you are today?  (Read 613 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« on: April 07, 2021, 03:54:55 PM »

Could be for any reason.

I have two favorite albums of all time, so I'm already breaking my own rule, but they laid the foundation for my worldview in similar ways.

The Devil Wears Prada's With Roots Above and Branches Below and Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly each deeply influenced my outlook on life. With Roots Above is a Christian metalcore record with themes of anti-idolatry, anti-cynicism, and anti-greed. While I'm not a Christian and have not considered myself religious at any point in my adult life, a lot of my favorite bands are Christian and their messaging always seems to resonate with me beyond just mere religious themes. I do draw a lot of inspiration from certain bible passages and I think it's interesting to analyze the Bible as a work of social guidance rather than a set in stone way to live your life...being an English major, I'm deeply drawn to interpretations of texts that stray from the established narrative. This record helped me understand that it's possible to be a "social Christian" so to speak--one who has a Christ-like worldview without being Christian or even religious.

To Pimp A Butterfly gave me a reckoning on race, I think. It's also a huge part of the way that I look at the world and an important social guide for me. I grew up in a really diverse area in Montgomery County, PA so I was fortunate enough to get to know people of all races and ethnicities and religions, but I still think I was a close-minded and bigoted person as a teenager. I couldn't really grapple with issues of race because I was blinded by my privilege as a white middle class male. This record really helped me break down that barrier and see race in a different way. There are a lot of great critiques of capitalism, white supremacy (and not just KKK white supremacy but the idea that being white is "normal" or "acting white" is "normal"), and America itself on this record. I think it really helped me understand what it's like to be a person of color in America. Or at least it helped me gain perspective on what it's like. And there's a lot here in the way of depression and identity crisis that I could relate to as well.

I know not everyone has such a deep connection to music the way I do, so I'm interested in hearing about books or movies (or anything really) that helped shape who you are as a person and why.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 06:27:58 PM »

Yeah, that book also taught me about what kind of person not to be.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies