When will the US culture wars de-escalate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:19:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  When will the US culture wars de-escalate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will the US culture wars de-escalate?  (Read 2209 times)
SAAuthCapitalist
Rookie
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2021, 11:43:41 PM »

I feel like a lot of the culture wars in America in political and other terms heated up around Obama’s second term, or in 2014. The BLM, race, gender stuff became more left wing or as conservatives like myself would say, more radical. I also think the USA media around this time and fully by Trump’s term becomes far more radical and blatantly liberal biased. Watching US News now is unbelievably bad, and not only do they do not try hosting even a moderately unbiased news, but it is also completely tabloid esque. This is a total mark of difference compared to 15 years ago. Conservatives in US and liberals feel more detached too.

I also think a lot of sexualization and LGBT agendas in general of US culture started. I remember it was a huge deal to even discuss whether Gay Marriage should be legal, for example. I also remember in the 2000’s pop singers were no were near as degenerate as today (see, CardiB).

I have an honest question: When will politics actually get boring again and when will the culture wars really de escalate? Because unlike what US liberal think, I do doubt Biden will de escalate this.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 12:28:06 AM »

The problem with framing this “culture war” narrative solely as something like “triggered college liberals” or whatever is that it completely ignores all the culture wars that the right continually engages in. Chief among them are abortion, prayer in schools, choice of transportation (“rolling coal”), gay frogs, etc.

Unless or until you acknowledge that this concatenation of disparate items into cohesive “cultures” is not unique to “the left”, this will only possibly be read as tone-deaf, disingenuous prattle. Conservatives, and the right in general, do not have unilateral authority to set norms and expectations for others. To say otherwise is to give into authoritarian impulses.

Beyond that, this reads less like a genuine inquiry, and more like kettle logic. It seems to me that you are simply throwing disconnected examples against the wall and hoping some of them stick, or making assumptions that all, or even most of “the left” is some sort of homogenous entity that unilaterally approves of the things you listed.

Also, the gay agenda has several items. Run to the store, get bread and milk. Mow the lawn, tend to the plants.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 12:44:56 AM »

I also remember in the 2000’s pop singers were no were near as degenerate as today (see, CardiB).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T6Fnwbtzp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rg3sAb8Id8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGL2rytTraA
wimp
themiddleman
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 01:14:26 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2021, 02:09:38 AM by Lemon juice junkie »

There are always going to be easily offended people making a stink about things; 24/7 news media, the internet, cynical politicians looking for their vote and hyperpolarization just amplify their voices.

Ackyshually, that was an environmentalist issue, not a culture war one, and a perfect example of how legitimate causes can be discredited with associating with crazy.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2010/03/01/frogs/
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »

Never. Politics has been about culture wars since the 1960s.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 11:21:00 AM »

when we get a real problem again
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 12:08:25 AM »

you got one, it made it worse and got subsumed by it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 08:32:06 AM »

This. The last class-politics President in this country was LBJ.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 12:55:26 PM »

*glances in Civil Rights Act*
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 02:38:38 PM »

"Civil Rights was tout court a culture war issue" is a new one. They called it the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom for a reason. MLK is one of the great American thinkers on economic inequality and coercion.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 09:13:21 PM »

"Civil Rights was tout court a culture war issue" is a new one. They called it the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom for a reason. MLK is one of the great American thinkers on economic inequality and coercion.

I’m aware, I’m just saying that LBJ’s record on civil rights is more consequential than his record on economics.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 12:40:24 PM »

It's been slowly heating up ever since civil rights became a major federal political issue in the Truman years, obliterating any sense of class politics with it, with a handful of clear points where it's been kicked into overdrive that seemed unprecedented beforehand (1968, 1994, 2001, 2014, etc.). I don't see it slowing down anytime soon unless there's some sort of massive national crisis that resists being politicized the same way that they all have been since at least 9/11. While the US is the main focal point of these inquiries, it's been happening all around the world with the decline of class as a salient political motivator.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 07:42:05 PM »

If income inequality is solved (to some degree) then it might lose some of its salience, but unless there's a WWII-style conflict then it's unlikely to de-escalate any time soon.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 07:45:53 PM »

When my side wins.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 08:36:01 PM »

When the class war ends; the culture “war” is merely just a front.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 01:55:06 PM »

When the boomers lose their political power is when I think we’ll see improvement in this area.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2021, 01:55:15 PM »

There is some genuine substance to it, but the culture war is largely a symptom of sick societies. The cure to such illnesses will not be found in its symptoms.

When the class war ends; the culture “war” is merely just a front.

I don't entirely agree, but it definitely draws politics away from power and towards bread and circuses. I was struck by this a few days ago while working with Amazon cloud services and seeing them put up #StopAsianHate on top of a black square. I was a worker, not a customer, and yet they still advertised a poorly reheated BLM trend while fighting their union drive and neglecting to do even the performative charity billionaires are known for. That they hid it behind a black square was a nice touch.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 11:02:21 PM »

That depends. When will liberals stop coming up with new ways to accuse conservatives of being bigoted?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 03:45:31 PM »

That depends. When will liberals stop coming up with new ways to accuse conservatives of being bigoted?

When conservatives stop coming up with new ways of being pointlessly bigoted.

See how easy it is to pin the blame on the other side? This is how culture wars function.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 11:06:26 AM »

when one culture can subsume the other
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2021, 11:42:11 PM »

Never.

Right will always complain about how going too far on many socially progressive issues while at same token left will always find an issue of a group facing victimization no matter how things turn out.  Otherwise culture wars will just shift, they won't ever end.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 06:07:04 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2021, 11:14:38 AM by Samof94 »

When conservatives stop coming up with new ways of being pointlessly bigoted.

See how easy it is to pin the blame on the other side? This is how culture wars function.
One day, I imagine that they will calm down some. I think some kind of political shift longer term could cause it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies