Did Rudy Giuliani ruin his legacy by tying himself to Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:52:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Did Rudy Giuliani ruin his legacy by tying himself to Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Rudy Giuliani ruin his legacy by tying himself to Trump?
Yes

No

No, his legacy was ruined anyway

No, it'll improve his legacy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Did Rudy Giuliani ruin his legacy by tying himself to Trump?  (Read 1318 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:57:30 PM »

Somewhere between options 1 and 3, I think Giuliani would be generally remembered well even if often attacked by liberals if he had just quietly retired from politics after leaving the mayorship, his partisan shilling afterwards and 2008 presidential campaign cost him most of his post-9/11 goodwill but I think might've been mostly forgotten had he retired from politics after that and would be after his death...but his actions with Trump including speaking before the Capitol riot...yeah that sealed it. He's going to be remembered as a villain of American politics, with his 9/11 leadership only a footnote, or at least an example of how he was before he became such a monster. (Personally I hold that he always was such a monster but that wasn't the majority consensus.)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 02:20:44 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2021, 08:46:15 PM by brucejoel99 »

Not really, but only because he wasn't really in much of a position to ruin a so-called legacy of his when he didn't really have much of a legacy to continue protecting anymore. His legacy had already turned to sh*t - especially in NYC - even before he chose to fully dig his grave with Trump thanks to the selfish egomania & his being corrupt, a racist (stop-&-frisk, Kerik, & his constantly playing the race card all jump to mind), a liar, a cousin marrier-turned-serial adulterer, etc. Tastelessly leaning on 9/11 during his presidential campaign ("a noun, a verb, & 9/11," anybody?) after having both failed to fix the issues with the FDNY's radios for years prior to 9/11 & then ignored the deaths of Ground Zero rescue workers who went into the pit for months without respirators didn't do him any favors either. Really, his legacy is, was, & will forever be that of just generally being an all-around piece of human garbage. Hell, remember when they booed him on his birthday at Yankee Stadium while he was wearing a Yankees cap? Whatever parts of his sh*tty legacy that had still managed to survive by then were merely just further neutered by his involvement with Trump.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 08:07:43 AM »

Somewhere between options 1 and 3, I think Giuliani would be generally remembered well even if often attacked by liberals if he had just quietly retired from politics after leaving the mayorship, his partisan shilling afterwards and 2008 presidential campaign cost him most of his post-9/11 goodwill but I think might've been mostly forgotten had he retired from politics after that and would be after his death...but his actions with Trump including speaking before the Capitol riot...yeah that sealed it. He's going to be remembered as a villain of American politics, with his 9/11 leadership only a footnote, or at least an example of how he was before he became such a monster. (Personally I hold that he always was such a monster but that wasn't the majority consensus.)

This, especially the part in parentheses
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »

YES!
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 01:59:20 PM »

Public opinion was bound to turn further on him anyway as his core mayoral policies became more antiquated and questioned, but he certainly hastened its decline, including in some spheres that would otherwise have maintained some fondness for him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 02:44:09 PM »

His Aide Andrew, just declared a rub for Gov, we need Cuomo out of there
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 03:38:18 PM »

It gets me that Rudy Giuliani could not see what a horrible person Donald Trump is. He's prosecuted gangsters, both the Sicilian and Russian varieties, and he has to know that anyone who consorts with gangsters is not worth the connection.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »

His legacy was overrated and was on a downwards swing since he ran for president in 2007 and whatever commentary he had during the Obama era. However the final nail in the coffin was when he worked for Trump
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 08:32:22 PM »

Of course. He reduced himself to an attention whore clown. I have no idea why he did that to himself. It is quite a tragedy really. Although not popular here perhaps as an opinion, once upon a time I think he had some good qualities.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 08:33:43 PM »

Not really, but only because he wasn't really in much of a position to ruin a so-called legacy of his when he didn't really have much of a legacy to continue protecting anymore. His legacy had already turned to sh*t - especially in NYC - even before he chose to fully dig his grave with Trump thanks to the selfish egomania & his being corrupt, a racist (stop-&-frisk, Kerik, & his constantly playing the race card all jump to mind), a liar, a cousin marrier-turned-serial adulterer, etc. Tastelessly leaning on 9/11 during his presidential campaign ("a noun, a verb, & 9/11," anybody?) after having both failed to fix the issues with the FDNY's radios for years prior to 9/11 & then ignored the deaths of Ground Zero rescue workers who went into the pit for months without respirators didn't do him any favors either. Really, his legacy is, was, & will forever be that of just generally being an all-around piece of human garbage. Hell, remember when they booed him on his birthday at Yankee Stadium while he was wearing a Yankees cap? Whatever parts of his sh*tty legacy had still managed to survive by then were just further neutered by his involvement with Trump.

This in a sense....
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 08:40:06 PM »

Whatever you thought of him before, the fact us most of the public still remembered him fairly fondly as “America’s Mayor” until he tied himself to Trump and went down with the ship. Had he just stayed in quiet retirement, his legacy would be in much better shape. He may not have been at the peak of his popularity before all this, but it destroyed any chance of his being remembered more fondly than not.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 09:48:13 PM »

I think an old man's ego got himself into trouble. Some people don't handle the aging process very well. I live with someone like that. Nobody told Rudy to get stupid.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 03:42:58 AM »

Absolutely, yes.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 03:58:07 AM »

I think what Giuliani's legacy will be is to early to say. If the massive increase in crime in New York end up a short blip, Giuliani will likely be remembered for the last 20 years of increased ridiculousness. If it end up a long term problem, Giuliani will end up being remembered for the falling crime under his administration and use as a model for dealing with it again, and the last 20 years will just be a embarrassing afterword on his real legacy.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 01:29:35 PM »

Of course. He reduced himself to an attention whore clown. I have no idea why he did that to himself. It is quite a tragedy really. Although not popular here perhaps as an opinion, once upon a time I think he had some good qualities.

He’s always been an attention seeker. Comey was told when he joined SDNY that the worst place to be was between Giuliani and a microphone. This was back in the late 80s, IIRC.
UncleSam

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 01:39:47 PM »

Considering most people don’t even remember he was NYC mayor at this point, ya lol
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 10:22:16 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2021, 10:34:10 AM by Badger »

The vast majority of Americans still saw him as a successful mayor, both for his handling of 911, as well as the revitalization of the city that's a crime rates drop - - although much the same was reflected throughout the rest of the country as well - - and turned places like Times Square from a prostitute drug-dealing Haven to a real tourist Mecca. That is only one example. The sleazy slimey decaying New York of the 70s is well forgotten and buried, and Giuliani was given a great deal of credit, far more than deserved frankly, for that change.

his luster had come off somewhat with his complete Crash and Burn presidential campaign in 2008, but he could have retired at that point and still been well remembered by most Americans, even if most New York residents of color have pretty bad memories about his police policies. But now he will forever be tarred with being Trump's scummy senile hair dye leaking press conference in front of a Landscape Company holding coot.
MaximaEt_Illustratum
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2021, 11:49:19 PM »

Of course
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 03:09:52 AM »

Yes, sadly. Trump was largely responsible but he brought a lot of it on himself too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies