Most “soccer momish” state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:07:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Most “soccer momish” state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which state is the most “soccer momish”?
California

New York

New Jersey

Massachusettes

Utah

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Most “soccer momish” state  (Read 1346 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:54:25 PM »

?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 07:58:41 PM »

Probably Delaware actually.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 12:20:00 AM »

They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 09:26:39 AM »

How are we defining this? Largest number of “soccer moms”? Most politically/culturally akin to a “soccer mom”?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 10:43:27 AM »

How are we defining this? Largest number of “soccer moms”? Most politically/culturally akin to a “soccer mom”?
The latter.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 02:00:59 PM »

Ohio.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 02:03:31 PM »

What state has the highest proportion of White, college-educated married women with kids at home?

I’m guessing it’s actually Utah, but my first instinct as the most “soccer mom” state was Virginia
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 02:04:21 PM »

I had been thinking Virginia honestly, New Jersey or California, of these options though
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 02:05:26 PM »

What state has the highest proportion of White, college-educated married women with kids at home?

I’m guessing it’s actually Utah, but my first instinct as the most “soccer mom” state was Virginia
I thought soccer moms were heavily Republican. Virginia has more white Democrats than most Southern states.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »

Connecticut or Maryland were my first guesses.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 04:10:58 PM »

I thought soccer moms were heavily Republican. Virginia has more white Democrats than most Southern states.
Not Really, "Soccer Moms" were GOP Leaning in the 80s, Swingy in the 90s, and Democratic Leaning recently.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 08:58:07 AM »

The term was first used extensively by Alex Castellanos, Bob Dole's 1996 communications director, to describe the key swing demographic of White, middle-income women with young children.  Dole ultimately failed to connect with this demographic, losing suburban women to Clinton 53 to 39 percent.

Interestingly enough, 1996 saw what was then the biggest gender gap on record for a national election (11 points.)  It was also the first election in which women were decisive since Dole won narrowly among men (all previous presidential winners, with the exception of maybe JFK - no national exit polls were conducted in 1960, IIRC - had won among both men and women.)

Overall, the term is an interesting touchstone in the continued feminization of our national politics.  That this demographic was so hotely contested through the 1990s and 2000s (i.e., GWB's 2004 "security moms") shows that both major parties recognized the importance of messaging to (mostly educated and working) women, but explicit appeals to women of color, poor women and single women were still considered too radical.  "Soccer moms" will never make a comeback because the politics of gender is now much more overtly intersectional

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »

Based solely on Atlas posters, it's definitely New Jersey.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2021, 12:58:52 PM »

Interestingly enough, 1996 saw what was then the biggest gender gap on record for a national election (11 points.)  It was also the first election in which women were decisive since Dole won narrowly among men (all previous presidential winners, with the exception of maybe JFK - no national exit polls were conducted in 1960, IIRC - had won among both men and women.)

Gallup actually did conduct an exit poll in 1960 - Nixon won women 51-49, while JFK won men 52-48. Gallup started doing exit polls in 1948, but 1964 was the first election in which women were more Democratic than men. Prior to that, I suspect it was because the female electorate was more middle class than the male one - e.g. the influence of labour unions, and the fact that working-class Irish Catholic women used to have notoriously low turnout. 1976 is the only election since where women were more Republican than men.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 01:27:33 PM »

Gallup actually did conduct an exit poll in 1960 - Nixon won women 51-49, while JFK won men 52-48. Gallup started doing exit polls in 1948, but 1964 was the first election in which women were more Democratic than men. Prior to that, I suspect it was because the female electorate was more middle class than the male one - e.g. the influence of labour unions, and the fact that working-class Irish Catholic women used to have notoriously low turnout. 1976 is the only election since where women were more Republican than men.
I wonder if the “Daisy” ad was particularly effective on women.
SAAuthCapitalist
Rookie
Singapore

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »

Definitely California. Especially Southern California.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 08:17:53 PM »

I’ve always thought of FL as a prime example of this -- pretty fitting that it flipped from R to D in 1996. IIRC, parts of election night coverage that year even touched on such, uh, ideology-driven "soccer" and "single" women who delivered the state for Clinton.
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 10:44:31 PM »

Virginia
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies