Ranking Harris's Potential Running Mates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:57:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ranking Harris's Potential Running Mates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ranking Harris's Potential Running Mates  (Read 3551 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2021, 03:14:57 PM »

I think Tim Walz or Jared Polis would be the best choices. They bring a combination of federal and gubernatorial experience and are both pretty inoffensive to most people. Walz could also shore up Minnesota.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 03:17:46 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2021, 03:55:06 PM by KaiserDave »

Cooper or Beshear sound good to me. I also like the idea of Walz (who is only 56 by the way). Not a fan of Buttigieg.

I actually quite like Cooper, not just because he's adorable and a hockey fan, but I think he's very well suited to the job of Vice President. Supporting the administration, lots of photo ops, and cognizant advice.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 03:21:38 PM »

In terms of likelihood, well I made this list a while back

Here's my guesses (note not my preferences, but who I see as the most likely)

1. Andy Beshear (easier to pick him if he wins in 2023, but his chances still are decent, even if he loses): Governor from a red state who has handled coronavirus well. His moderate image could help Harris reach out to moderates, and while he won't put KY in play, Southern whites in places like NC/GA/FL might be more likely to see "one of their own" on the Democratic ticket
2. Pete Buttigieg: Young and charismatic former mayor from the Midwest. He will likely get a foreign policy spot in the Biden adminstration, and if he does he would help the Harris ticket on foreign policy. Also has a moderate profile, similar to Beshear, which allows him to reach out to moderate voters, however, would also be a historic pick as the first LGBTQ+ person on the ticket
3. Andrew Cuomo: NY Governor who has received praise on his handling of the coronavirus and has experience in Washington-style politics as he served as HUD Secretary under Clinton. Generic mainstream Democrat who's acceptable to all wings of the party
4. Tammy Baldwin: WI Senator, who has a record of winning in the key state. Fairly liberal profile, so an olive branch to progressives, who might not be completely on board with Harris, if she runs a very cautious/moderate campaign, however still has a record of winning by fairly large margins in WI. Also would be a historic pick as the first LGBTQ+ person on the ticket.
5. Stacey Abrams (this really requires her to win GA-GOV, but I think she will): Young, charismatic and an olive branch to progressives. Liberal views, but still very acceptable to moderate/establishment Democrats. Also an all minority ticket would likely energize minority turnout, which could be pivotal in states like GA.
6. Gretchen Whitmer (this relies on her winning re-election in 2022, which I think she does): Governor of MI, has received high praise for her handling of coronavirus. Also on the more moderate wing of the party, however has wide appeal across the entirety of the party, similar to Cuomo.

I'd say these are more-or-less the top 6 choices this far out, and here's a quick synopsis of why each choice is good.

So, other than Cuomo (blech), this list actually aged pretty well. Though I'd probably move Buttigieg up and Abrams up too, updated list:

Buttigieg (while he didn't get a foreign policy spot, given Biden's emphasis on infrastructure, Transportation is actually a pretty important job in the admin)
Beshear (see above)
Abrams (see above+flipping GA and leading the fight against the new voter suppression bills)
Baldwin (see above)
Whitmer (see above)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 03:29:58 PM »

Underrated picks:

-Jason Crow, representative from the Denver suburbs who is a generic Democrat but would be palatable to swing voters. He’s an Iraq War veteran and protected his colleagues from the mob on 1/6.
-Beautiful Flawless Jay Jones, the 48th Attorney General of Virginia  Purple heart
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 03:35:01 PM »

Cooper or Buttigieg sound good to me. I also like the idea of Walz (who is only 56 by the way). Not a fan of Buttigieg.

I actually quite like Cooper, not just because he's adorable and a hockey fan, but I think he's very well suited to the job of Vice President. Supporting the administration, lots of photo ops, and cognizant advice.

Is one of these supposed to be Beshear?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2021, 03:36:03 PM »

Underrated picks:

-Jason Crow, representative from the Denver suburbs who is a generic Democrat but would be palatable to swing voters. He’s an Iraq War veteran and protected his colleagues from the mob on 1/6.

Picking Representatives is generally not the best idea

-Beautiful Flawless Jay Jones, the 48th Attorney General of Virginia  Purple heart

No guarantee he wins the primary, Herring is still favored, imo
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2021, 03:55:16 PM »

Cooper or Buttigieg sound good to me. I also like the idea of Walz (who is only 56 by the way). Not a fan of Buttigieg.

Is one of these supposed to be Beshear?

Ach. Edited.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2021, 08:00:53 PM »

In terms of likelihood, well I made this list a while back

Here's my guesses (note not my preferences, but who I see as the most likely)

1. Andy Beshear (easier to pick him if he wins in 2023, but his chances still are decent, even if he loses): Governor from a red state who has handled coronavirus well. His moderate image could help Harris reach out to moderates, and while he won't put KY in play, Southern whites in places like NC/GA/FL might be more likely to see "one of their own" on the Democratic ticket
2. Pete Buttigieg: Young and charismatic former mayor from the Midwest. He will likely get a foreign policy spot in the Biden adminstration, and if he does he would help the Harris ticket on foreign policy. Also has a moderate profile, similar to Beshear, which allows him to reach out to moderate voters, however, would also be a historic pick as the first LGBTQ+ person on the ticket
3. Andrew Cuomo: NY Governor who has received praise on his handling of the coronavirus and has experience in Washington-style politics as he served as HUD Secretary under Clinton. Generic mainstream Democrat who's acceptable to all wings of the party
4. Tammy Baldwin: WI Senator, who has a record of winning in the key state. Fairly liberal profile, so an olive branch to progressives, who might not be completely on board with Harris, if she runs a very cautious/moderate campaign, however still has a record of winning by fairly large margins in WI. Also would be a historic pick as the first LGBTQ+ person on the ticket.
5. Stacey Abrams (this really requires her to win GA-GOV, but I think she will): Young, charismatic and an olive branch to progressives. Liberal views, but still very acceptable to moderate/establishment Democrats. Also an all minority ticket would likely energize minority turnout, which could be pivotal in states like GA.
6. Gretchen Whitmer (this relies on her winning re-election in 2022, which I think she does): Governor of MI, has received high praise for her handling of coronavirus. Also on the more moderate wing of the party, however has wide appeal across the entirety of the party, similar to Cuomo.

I'd say these are more-or-less the top 6 choices this far out, and here's a quick synopsis of why each choice is good.

So, other than Cuomo (blech), this list actually aged pretty well. Though I'd probably move Buttigieg up and Abrams up too, updated list:

Buttigieg (while he didn't get a foreign policy spot, given Biden's emphasis on infrastructure, Transportation is actually a pretty important job in the admin)
Beshear (see above)
Abrams (see above+flipping GA and leading the fight against the new voter suppression bills)
Baldwin (see above)
Whitmer (see above)

I doubt Abrams would be a contender if she's only gonna end up serving two years as governor. I'm sure she'd want to serve at least two terms, or maybe one and a half and she runs in 2028 (like DeSantis potentially in 2024).
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2021, 09:31:30 PM »

Buttigieg and Roy Cooper are definitely on that list.

Now that he's sold his house in South Bend, Buttigieg needs to move to Arlington so he can run for governor of Virginia in 2025.  It's a little thin for a vice presidential resume, but three years as governor could be enough to make him a credible running mate in 2028. 

I don't think Buttigieg would be viewed as inexperienced necessarily, even if he didn't run governor. By 2024, he will have been one of the most visible Democrats in the country for five years. By 2028, nine years. Regardless of his actual political experience, voters will be completely familiar with him and won't view him as a new/inexperienced. Mitt Romney, for example, was only governor for four years. Despite having a relatively slim resume in public service, no one questioned Romney's experience when he was the nominee in 2012. Buttigieg will have been mayor, secretary of Transportation, and will have universal name recognition.

Very true.

Also, while I detested him as a candidate in 2020, Buttigieg clearly was well versed in national political issues.  I'm not worried about him being unprepared for the presidency (more worried about him not really standing for anything/having no real ideology).
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2021, 10:54:49 PM »

Ossoff > Sherrod Brown > Josh Shapiro (if he wins PA Gov, though I'm skeptical that he would accept) > Beshear > Jared Polis > Martin Heinrich > Brian Schatz > Pete Buttigieg

Sherrod Brown is both too old and more useful as an incumbent Senator.  Shapiro is great but you don't go from little more than a year as governor to running for vice president.  You're right that Buttigieg is bottom of the heap, though.

If Ryan loses in 2022, Brown can go for Veep and run for Brown seat in 2024 or run for Gov in 2026

Brown isn't too old when you have Harris

Agree Brown isn't too old. Yet that senate seat will be lost in 2024 if Brown doesn't run.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2021, 05:53:01 PM »

I don't think she can pick a Jewish running mate...like Shapiro or Ossoff.

Her husband is Jewish, if she picks a Jewish running mate, she runs the risk of people feeling that the cabinet would be "Jewish influenced"

In a just world, if Tim Ryan was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2022, he would be a good choice, Sherrod Brown as well

Beshear and Walz would be good

She probably needs an attack dog VP, because the GOP will go after her daily.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2021, 06:01:08 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2021, 06:16:27 PM by Heebie Jeebie »

My earlier thoughts have changed on this question.  Now, I think that in the unlikely event Harris is the 2024 nominee, her best running mate would be Michael Bennet.  In 2028, her best running mate would be Chris Murphy.

Some explanation: the bipartisan infrastructure bill and the looming reconciliation bill have demonstrated the importance of legislative experience, and both Bennet and Murphy will have relatively long Senate tenures in their favor, while each is also young enough to be the nominee after Harris has run her two presidential campaigns.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2021, 06:03:03 PM »

Her husband is Jewish, if she picks a Jewish running mate, she runs the risk of people feeling that the cabinet would be "Jewish influenced"

In a just world, if Tim Ryan was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2022, he would be a good choice, Sherrod Brown as well

No, no, no!  No Senators from red states!  Any Ohio Senator is a nonstarter. 
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2021, 06:39:44 PM »

I really don’t think many people care about her having a jewish running mate. The ones who don’t like that aren’t voting democratic anyway
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2021, 09:26:14 PM »

Of the three Colorado people, who would be the best running mate?
Polis, Bennet, Hickenlooper?
All of them are decently safe running mates that Harris would atleast consider
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2021, 10:11:52 PM »

Of the three Colorado people, who would be the best running mate?
Polis, Bennet, Hickenlooper?
All of them are decently safe running mates that Harris would atleast consider

I think Hickenlooper is too old for consideration.  In 2024, I think Bennet would be the better choice between the other two.  In 2028, Polis.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2021, 11:18:32 PM »

I really don’t think many people care about her having a jewish running mate. The ones who don’t like that aren’t voting democratic anyway

The South sure did in 2000 when Gore picked Lieberman and he lost AR and TN instead of relying on Florida.....

A lot of leftwing voters may not like it either because they're too close to Israel
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2021, 12:05:53 AM »

My ranking of Harris's potential Vice Presidents (assuming Biden either died or resigned tomorrow-2024's a long way off, and we should assume Biden's running for reelection until he tells us he isn't)

10: Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear: Beshear is at the bottom of the list because I don't think he'd win reelection in 2023 anyways, and while he'd probably make a good governing partner for Harris, I can easily see the base being upset by a generic White guy, with nothing historic about him like Buttigeig.

9: Senator Raphael Warnock: Obviously, this one's only relevant if Warnock wins this year. I think Warnock would be the stronger pick electorally than Jon Ossoff, but there's a clear Sarah Palin parallel here. In terms of actually governing, Ossoff's the safer pick.

8. Senator Sherrod Brown: Picking Brown would be made on the calculus that he'd likely lose reelection anyways, whereas he'd probably have a better chance of success at winning the Vice Presidency. He's also probably progressive enough to satisfy most of the base, but some might not be interested in a generic White guy.

7. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigeig: Buttigeig would be the first gay person on a major party ticket (unless you believe the rumors about James Buchanan), and would help in the Midwest. However, he could cost a Harris campaign Georgia and North Carolina, and wouldn't help in other battlegrounds outside of the Midwest.

6: Senator Elizabeth Warren: Warren's a strong candidate if Harris wants to go economic populist, or decides to simply focus on domestic policy. However, it's an open question whether Warren even wants to be Vice President.

5. Representative Ayanna Pressley: Pressley is probably the most low-key of "The Squad" and would be the most obvious olive branch to progressives that Harris could make.

4. Governor Kathy Hochul: This is going to sound totally ridiculous, but I actually like Hochul's chances of making a national ticket. She might have a better chance of doing so if Harris is running in 2028.

3. Senator Alex Padilla: While it require Harris to officially name D.C as her residence, Padilla would be a perfect running mate from an electoral standpoint for her.

2. Governor Roy Cooper: Probably the best Southern running mate possible for Harris, Cooper would dramatically boost turnout in a key battleground state.

1. Former Representative Beto O'Rourke: I wouldn't rule out Kamala making a concerted effort to win Texas, and that means a Texan running mate. You could also put a Castro brother, or one of Colin Allred/Lizzie Fletcher/Sylvia Garcia/Lloyd Doggett here instead.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2021, 10:06:47 AM »

The South sure did in 2000 when Gore picked Lieberman and he lost AR and TN instead of relying on Florida.....

A lot of leftwing voters may not like it either because they're too close to Israel
This isn’t 2000, and I don’t even think many hard left voters would be offended because a candidate was simply Jewish
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2021, 06:50:28 PM »

If Ossoff was able to win as a Jew in Georgia, his being a VP nominee won't cause anyone to bat an eye other than raging anti-semites who haven't voted Dem ever
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2021, 07:09:52 PM »

I don't think she should pick Cooper---he is too mild-mannered and old to be VP.

Won't Ossoff be good?
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2021, 07:30:27 PM »

I don't think she should pick Cooper---he is too mild-mannered and old to be VP.

Won't Ossoff be good?

I think Ossoff is more valuable as an incumbent Senator from a toss-up state. 
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2021, 08:09:46 PM »

I personally think that Roy Cooper is the best. But Beshear (only if he wins re-election) isn't a bad choice either. I don't want Ossoff because he would be abandoning a Senate seat and I don't know if the state would have a Democratic Governor to appoint his successor.

I suppose another option might be Ben Ray Lujan if Harris feels the need to appeal to Hispanic voters more. But he definitely is not at the top of the list.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2021, 08:25:28 PM »

Won't Ossoff be good?
Cooper is only a year older than Biden was in 2008 when he was picked for VP. Biden would be 81 by than too, so are doesn’t really matter here
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2021, 09:21:55 PM »

Won't Ossoff be good?
Cooper is only a year older than Biden was in 2008 when he was picked for VP. Biden would be 81 by than too, so are doesn’t really matter here

Of course age matters.  Biden, as much as I like him, was a bad choice for running mate in 2008, and his relatively advanced age is partly why Clinton was preferred as Obama's successor.   Frankly, while I'm glad he beat Trump, Biden is too old to be president now.  The uncertainly surrounding his fitness for the job is a drag on his party politically.

I think a good rule of thumb is that a first-time veep candidate should never be older than 60 on election day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies