Matt Gaetz under investigation by DoJ for possible sexual relationship with 17 yo girl
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:50:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Matt Gaetz under investigation by DoJ for possible sexual relationship with 17 yo girl
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: Matt Gaetz under investigation by DoJ for possible sexual relationship with 17 yo girl  (Read 25632 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: April 09, 2021, 04:24:48 PM »

I mean, if we feel as a society like it should be a crime for a 37-yo to sleep with a 17-yo, we should make that a crime (and I wouldn't be opposed to it).

But if it isn't a crime for a 37-yo to sleep with a 17-yo, it shouldn't be a crime for a 37-you to buy a 17-yo dinner.

And if you're trying to prosecute the dinner rather than the sex, that deserves to be called a witch hunt.

It is a crime, in the state where the 17-year-old lives, which is why Matt Gaetz had to transport her across state lines so he could f--k her.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2021, 04:26:25 PM »

When you have the facts on your side, pound on the facts. When you have the law on your side, pound on the law. When you have neither on your side, hire a mouthpiece with a history of questionable clients & pound on the table.

"They're from Canada. You wouldn't know them."
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #327 on: April 09, 2021, 06:05:11 PM »

Honestly, the allegation of Gaetz openly sharing others’ private nude photos seems worse to me than any of others from a moral standpoint.  That constitutes a true violation of consent much more so than any of the other stuff.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #328 on: April 10, 2021, 01:07:47 AM »

Wall Street Journal: Matt Gaetz Named as Subject of House Ethics Probe

WASHINGTON—The House Ethics Committee said it has begun an investigation into allegations involving Rep. Matt Gaetz (R., Fla.), citing a host of alleged abuses including sexual misconduct, the sharing of inappropriate images or videos on the House floor and the improper conversion of campaign funds to personal use.

The Ethics Committee said in a statement that its decision to investigate “does not itself indicate that any violation has occurred.”

In laying out its probe, the panel said it was also aware of public allegations against Mr. Gaetz involving the misuse of state identification records, and the acceptance of a bribe, improper gratuity or impermissible gift, in violation of House rules, laws or other standards of conduct.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #329 on: April 10, 2021, 01:18:57 AM »

WASHINGTON—The House Ethics Committee said it has begun an investigation into allegations involving Rep. Matt Gaetz (R., Fla.), citing a host of alleged abuses including sexual misconduct, the sharing of inappropriate images or videos on the House floor and the improper conversion of campaign funds to personal use.

The Ethics Committee said in a statement that its decision to investigate “does not itself indicate that any violation has occurred.”

In laying out its probe, the panel said it was also aware of public allegations against Mr. Gaetz involving the misuse of state identification records, and the acceptance of a bribe, improper gratuity or impermissible gift, in violation of House rules, laws or other standards of conduct.

(Along with Tom Reed)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #330 on: April 10, 2021, 11:03:53 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #331 on: April 10, 2021, 12:16:41 PM »

It’s almost to deny reality to have a “Q” movement on the right but not a “Q” movement on the left in this moment.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2021, 01:14:24 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2021, 02:06:16 PM »

After Trump's 2 impeachments & then MTG, I have no faith that enough House Republicans would actually vote to uphold any recommendation on the committee's part, up to & including expulsion, but I'll be happy to have them prove me wrong.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #334 on: April 12, 2021, 09:31:50 AM »

Trump refused to meet with Gaetz at Mar-A-Lago:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/11/politics/matt-gaetz-donald-trump-denied-meeting/index.html
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #335 on: April 12, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »

My first reaction was "oh this might be something to get the Trump loyalists and QAnoners to turn on Gaetz." Alas, I just checked on Free Republic, and the main response is just "CNN is fake news."
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #336 on: April 12, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »

My first reaction was "oh this might be something to get the Trump loyalists and QAnoners to turn on Gaetz." Alas, I just checked on Free Republic, and the main response is just "CNN is fake news."

At this point, it looks like he will be a congressman behind bars until and unless he becomes ineligible to hold public office due to the part of Florida's Civil Death Penalty (you are rendered a partial non-adult citizen upon conviction of a felony) law that wasn't repealed. I forget if it would even apply to him as a Federal office holder.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #337 on: April 12, 2021, 02:25:59 PM »

At this point, it looks like he will be a congressman behind bars until and unless he becomes ineligible to hold public office due to the part of Florida's Civil Death Penalty (you are rendered a partial non-adult citizen upon conviction of a felony) law that wasn't repealed. I forget if it would even apply to him as a Federal office holder.

The House would probably expel him before it gets to that point.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #338 on: April 12, 2021, 02:39:03 PM »

Maybe this is just what Florida needs to get the right on board with fixing their laws on felons and prisoners.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2021, 07:31:21 PM »

The House can expel him for a felony conviction that precludes him from being an active Member of Congress.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #340 on: April 12, 2021, 07:39:28 PM »

The House can expel him for a felony conviction that precludes him from being an active Member of Congress.

Would they?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2021, 07:59:10 PM »

Would they?

Yes, I think enough Republican members would support it to join with the Democrats for the necessary 2/3 majority.
LtNOWIS

« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2021, 09:36:05 PM »

Many state laws bar felons from voting or from running for state office. But they can't bar people from running for federal office. Any restrictions beyond what's in the constitution, besides routine administrative hoops like filing fees and petitions, are unconstitutional. Someone can even run for office while they're in prison.

But yeah as others have said, someone can't effectively do anything in Congress once they're convicted of a felony, in terms of floor votes or committee stuff. So they just resign or are expelled at that point. That's not unconstitutional, since "let's just not let him do anything" is a matter of the House's ability to administrate itself, not about holding or running for office as such.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #343 on: April 13, 2021, 01:51:14 PM »

Many state laws bar felons from voting or from running for state office. But they can't bar people from running for federal office. Any restrictions beyond what's in the constitution, besides routine administrative hoops like filing fees and petitions, are unconstitutional. Someone can even run for office while they're in prison.

But yeah as others have said, someone can't effectively do anything in Congress once they're convicted of a felony, in terms of floor votes or committee stuff. So they just resign or are expelled at that point. That's not unconstitutional, since "let's just not let him do anything" is a matter of the House's ability to administrate itself, not about holding or running for office as such.

It will be close.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #344 on: April 13, 2021, 06:04:44 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #345 on: April 13, 2021, 06:50:00 PM »

Nuclear Elmo?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #346 on: April 13, 2021, 07:01:39 PM »

Nuclear Elmo?

Gaetz isn't important enough to rate Nuclear Elmo.  Perhaps TNT Elmo.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: April 14, 2021, 06:40:38 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #348 on: April 14, 2021, 07:10:02 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #349 on: April 14, 2021, 09:23:29 PM »

LOL.
What a waste of money. Is he kidding or what?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies