Reed v. Reed et seq. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:51:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Reed v. Reed et seq. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reed v. Reed et seq.  (Read 927 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: April 02, 2021, 06:19:32 AM »

I don't agree with those that argue original intent in terms of the Fourteenth Amendment. I don't even think most Originalists argue for original intent. I don't consider original intent when looking at the Constitution. I view textualism as paramount.

The Equal Protection Clause is both broad and powerful in its protection of rights and liberties. The Founders could never have conceived of what happened during the Civil War and what transpired after. With that said, the Fifteenth Amendment does consider race in the text. I strongly object to those that say the Fourteenth only apples to race. If it did, it would say so.

That's partly why I view Obergefell v. Hodges as one of the most important cases with respect to the Fourteenth Amendment. There are those that argue that it leads to something else. I do not agree.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies