Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:49:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 243761 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: September 24, 2021, 01:01:41 PM »

The reason why Trump never had this problem with Debt Ceiling and Shutdown but only once he kept Corporate taxes at 21% and tax hikes is impossible in a 50(50 Senate D's need 52+ seats and the H to get rid of Filibuster not Manchin and Sinema

If we won too NC and ME the Filibuster would be gone

D's trying to raise taxes in a Pandemic isn't gonna happen, I agree with tac hikes
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1401 on: September 24, 2021, 03:52:25 PM »

Why should they work with the moderate wing of the party again if they're not gonna hold up their end of the bargain?

Without disagreeing with anything you've said, this feels very much like the last gasp of the "moderate" wing of the Democratic party. Manchin will be gone in 2024, and Sinema might not run at all (though an independent campaign intended to sink Gallego or whoever primaries her wouldn't shock me). The party base will pull up primary challengers for the obstructionist representatives and I wouldn't be shocked to see a number of them go down (Ed Case almost certainly, barring vote splitting).

Mind, I don't expect any Democratic majority post-2024 because of gerrymandering, suppression, and the crazy "overturn elections we lose" fascists, but once Manchin, Sinema, and their supplicants in the House are gone, we're left with Democrats we've successfully bullied into ending the filibuster and supporting wealth redistribution.
no this isnt going to happen
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1402 on: September 24, 2021, 05:58:51 PM »

I'm gonna lose my f-cking mind
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1403 on: September 24, 2021, 06:28:12 PM »

2028? What are these people even doing?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1404 on: September 24, 2021, 06:37:15 PM »

They're trying to get the topline number over 10 years down, to appease the moderates, by sliding things out. That's the why.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1405 on: September 24, 2021, 06:39:07 PM »

Seniors don’t need good teeth.

Waste of money
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1406 on: September 24, 2021, 07:41:28 PM »

I have no idea why they decided to take an August recess. Why leave for a 1.5 months knowing when you came back you had all these major lifts. This was just stupid on the democratic leadership. Pass the jobs and family plans, fund government and abolish the debt ceiling. Better yet fire the senate parliamentarian and pass the voting rights act. Than take a month break jeez
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1407 on: September 24, 2021, 07:44:44 PM »

I have no idea why they decided to take an August recess. Why leave for a 1.5 months knowing when you came back you had all these major lifts. This was just stupid on the democratic leadership. Pass the jobs and family plans, fund government and abolish the debt ceiling. Better yet fire the senate parliamentarian and pass the voting rights act. Than take a month break jeez

They thought McConnell was bluffing, on Morning Joe all the WH Staff said that McConnell wasn't gonna pull his stunt and 10 Rs would join D's to fund the GoVt

They didn't think so during a Pandemic, they were wrong
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1408 on: September 24, 2021, 07:53:15 PM »

Let's all remember Sinema and Manchin said thru the Summer they were gonna make Rs do a standing Filibuster and Rs would relent and they didn't follow thru with it when insurrection Commission was blocked, then they said in June they would make Rs do it and they didn't and then TX D's came to DC to force a Standing Fillibuster on VR, nothing followed thru

Every chance Rs blocked Bills they got away without doing a Standing Fillibuster and then Sinema went on the View and said she would never, ever get rid of Fillibuster

If D's lose control Rs are gonna deny D Amendments to bills

As of now Rs are gonna take the H, 2014/ we didn't lose until the Final weekend of the month, the worst case scenario can or cannot happen
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1409 on: September 24, 2021, 08:47:34 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2021, 09:33:27 PM by LVScreenssuck »

Sinema refused to cancel her August vacation plans.

I’m being dead serious.

EDIT: Citation
https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/07/30/sinemas-vacation-plans-manchin-gets-booed-and-megadonor-drama-493787?9

When CHUCK SCHUMER announced earlier this month that he might keep the Senate in session into August — delaying a previously scheduled recess in order to shepherd the two gigantic bills through the chamber — Sinema told the majority leader that she was not sticking around to vote, multiple Senate sources tell Playbook.

She had prior vacation plans, she said, and wasn’t about to let the infrastructure or reconciliation bills get in the way
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1410 on: September 25, 2021, 03:15:00 PM »

I’m being dead serious.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/07/30/sinemas-vacation-plans-manchin-gets-booed-and-megadonor-drama-493787?9

When CHUCK SCHUMER announced earlier this month that he might keep the Senate in session into August — delaying a previously scheduled recess in order to shepherd the two gigantic bills through the chamber — Sinema told the majority leader that she was not sticking around to vote, multiple Senate sources tell Playbook.

She had prior vacation plans, she said, and wasn’t about to let the infrastructure or reconciliation bills get in the way
I remember that

Ok, let her go back to Arizona or Vegas or Switz Alps. Keep the comittees writers in DC during August (Promise them time off in October). So the bills are written by September 1st and than let Manchin/Purple hair weirdo cross out the stuff they don't like instead of a few days before deadline. This just gave them a lot more levage
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1411 on: September 25, 2021, 03:28:53 PM »

I’m being dead serious.

I remember that

Ok, let her go back to Arizona or Vegas or Switz Alps. Keep the comittees writers in DC during August (Promise them time off in October). So the bills are written by September 1st and than let Manchin/Purple hair weirdo cross out the stuff they don't like instead of a few days before deadline. This just gave them a lot more levage
The problem is ‘crossing off what they don’t like’ is the entire reconciliation bill. That’s the whole point of the BIF.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1412 on: September 25, 2021, 03:43:17 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2021, 03:50:38 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

I’m being dead serious.

I remember that

This 3.5T dollar package includes Medicare expansion, most of us have Medicaid or PPO and don't even need Medicare, we're not Seniors yet and Rs are right, we should expand private insurance not Medicare

We have a 29T dollar joke already, we can't pay back

D's need more votes in the Senate to pass this Law beyond 50/ they need 52 bypass Sinema

It won't become effective til 2028/ Medicare doesn't pay 100% of cost it only pays 70%

D's are so anxiety expand a program that we don't even need

Just like we don't even need a Public option either due to Medicaid

If you are a Senior and you are under income less than 1486 you still qualify for Medicaid, dual coverage
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1413 on: September 25, 2021, 07:54:19 PM »

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1414 on: September 25, 2021, 10:57:04 PM »

Weird how the 'fiscally responsible' moderates and deficit hawks never seem concerned about this.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1415 on: September 26, 2021, 10:08:32 AM »

Podesta said it's catrostriphic if we don't pass a 3=5T dollar, let the Govt shutdown and Debt Ceiling not be raised.

We can't even pay the 29T we have borrowed already, like Rs said this is an expansion, we already have Medicaid and private insurance
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1416 on: September 26, 2021, 10:10:32 AM »

Waste of money

Many need good dentures, though.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1417 on: September 26, 2021, 10:14:54 AM »

Waste of money

Many need good dentures, though.

Medicare did you know only pays 70% of the cost, you must cover 30% if you are a Senior many seniors dont always need Dentures, implants are better than Dentures and Seniors don't always miss all their teeth.

My mom died and she was Senior with most of her teeth and Grandma

Anyways Everyone can get PPO insurance even Seniors that pays for implants if they aren't missing that many teeth.

Medicare doesn't cover implants either

But it's 100 premium on Dental only to cover implants
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1418 on: September 26, 2021, 10:26:27 AM »

We need to expand it but we need a bigger majorities in iCongress and funding Govt is a higher priority and D's  don't have to pass it now, it won't take effect until 2028 we we're almost retired, most of us aren't disabled to the pt where Seniors are and we aren't Seniors yet PPO or Medicaid takes care of us

But, it is a Standoff unless it goes thru Reconciliation or we get rid of Fillibuster like VR, and Sinema said on View she will never vote to Eliminate the Filibuster

But, that's only if she is the tie breaker if we get 52 seats she won't be tie breaker anymore
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #1419 on: September 26, 2021, 11:31:45 AM »

2028? What are these people even doing?
Imagine getting dental benefits for 1 year at the end of Biden’s second term before it gets repealed by President Larry Elder

Seriously, we need to get this stuff done quickly, and the benefits in the legislation that ends up passing NEEDS TO START IN 2022. I can not stress this enough.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1420 on: September 26, 2021, 10:05:16 PM »

Speaker Pelosi is doing the sensible thing:

Speaker Pelosi Delays Vote on Infrastructure Bill
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1421 on: September 26, 2021, 10:07:49 PM »

The bluff has been called. This really was the only option (though I’m guessing if it’s being delayed it’s because it would have failed anyway, my preference would have been just kill it and send it back attached as an amendment to the reconciliation package), but I was a little worried there.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1422 on: September 27, 2021, 02:34:20 AM »

The bluff has been called. This really was the only option (though I’m guessing if it’s being delayed it’s because it would have failed anyway, my preference would have been just kill it and send it back attached as an amendment to the reconciliation package), but I was a little worried there.

If infrastructure were made an amendment to the reconciliation bill, then it wouldn't fall under the rules of reconciliation and would need 60 votes in the Senate for cloture.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1423 on: September 27, 2021, 03:13:48 AM »

Corporate Dems will have to decide if they want their little bipartisan pet + a meaningful reconciliation bill, or if they want neither. Those are their only options, and they will have to live with their choice no matter what.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1424 on: September 27, 2021, 05:25:25 AM »

Corporate Dems will have to decide if they want their little bipartisan pet + a meaningful reconciliation bill, or if they want neither. Those are their only options, and they will have to live with their choice no matter what.

You know a 3.5 T Spending bill on Medicare and we aren't even Seniors yet isn't that necessary and you know that we all have health insurance and it's called PPo if you are working and Medicaid if you're Disability or working part time

Medicare doesn't even take effect until 2028
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies