Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:24:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 243054 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: September 22, 2021, 10:04:04 PM »

As I said before, unless the Debt Ceiling is raised, There isn't gonna be a 4.7T dollar package anyways, Manchin said that D's should out it off until midterms
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1376 on: September 23, 2021, 07:01:53 AM »

The whu???

The whu???

Daying for the daybreak if democrats for the future supporting if not then when?

It saying must selfish

Frustrate
hello olakwandi good to see you

It’s frustrating when he is the only one commenting or something. It’s even more so when it’s been a couple of days and it looks like he is conversing with himself.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1377 on: September 23, 2021, 07:07:53 AM »

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1378 on: September 23, 2021, 07:32:08 AM »

I read the Playbook this morning and wow that's a one-sided slanted take of what was in there.

There's a lot of similarity between this and Republican attempts in the House to do a reform/outright cancellation of ACA. They started with a goal but in the end could not get all of their caucus to agree on anything. The difference here is the potential for Republican support vs. there was no Democratic support for the ACA reform efforts in 2017.

My gut feel here is the moderates win. Reasons why:

1.) The Progressives have no Republican votes in their favor to carry toward a majority while the moderates will have some.
2.) Like the Playbook stated yesterday, the Progressive Caucus is 95 members but how many are actually willing to vote against when rubber meets the road?
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1379 on: September 23, 2021, 07:41:28 AM »

I mean the notion that a bipartisan agreement is held hostage by a partisan Bill is insane.

If Ds scuttle their own legislation they agreed to with Rs that kind of kills Biden’s only significant accomplishment since taking office. Everything else about his presidency has been more or less a disaster outside of a few executive orders reversing Trump’s prior odious ones.

AUKUS is a giant success, although it's geopolitics-focused so no one on this board gives a sh**t. Per the French being royally pissed off though, this was in the making for 15 months, meaning like with the Afghanistan withdrawal it was something started by the Trump administration that Biden chose to continue with following transfer of power.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1380 on: September 23, 2021, 09:06:55 AM »

I want the D's to win but, Manchin and Sinema blockade of Filibuster is shameful and it's beyond time as Clyburn said to get rid of it on Constitutional issues, the Debt Ceiling, VR and Statehood are being blockaded by a Legislature Filibuster, that's all, they should of made them do a Standing Fillibuster on VR over the Summer and we won't be going thru this, I hope next week they do that or Reform Fillibuster when Rs obstruct the Debt Ceiling increase

Rs are using the Filibuster the get back empowered and then when they get back in, they are gonna deny D Amendments
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1381 on: September 23, 2021, 09:34:49 AM »

I'm happy Biden is being more aggressive, we can only wait and see.

However, once this is done with, ideally Biden would backstab the Gottheimer gang and cut them all off in 2022 and endorse primary challengers, but that won't happen.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1382 on: September 23, 2021, 11:21:11 AM »

I read the Playbook this morning and wow that's a one-sided slanted take of what was in there.

There's a lot of similarity between this and Republican attempts in the House to do a reform/outright cancellation of ACA. They started with a goal but in the end could not get all of their caucus to agree on anything. The difference here is the potential for Republican support vs. there was no Democratic support for the ACA reform efforts in 2017.

1.) The Progressives have no Republican votes in their favor to carry toward a majority while the moderates will have some.
2.) Like the Playbook stated yesterday, the Progressive Caucus is 95 members but how many are actually willing to vote against when rubber meets the road?
Politico has essentially been acting as the press office for No Labels, I’d take any report with a grain of salt.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1383 on: September 23, 2021, 11:39:10 AM »

Schumer and Yellen say agreement reached on paying for economic bill but it's unclear if moderates are on board

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced Thursday an agreement on revenues to pay for the Democrats' $3.5 trillion agenda, though they did not offer details and its unclear if key moderate Democrats are on board.

"The White House, the House and the Senate have reached an agreement on a framework that will pay for any final negotiated agreement," said Schumer, alongside Yellen and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi at her weekly press conference Thursday. "So, the revenue side of this, we have an agreement on."

A senior Democratic aide says there's an agreement between House and Senate Democratic leaders, the chairs of the House Ways and Means and Senate Finance committees, and White House officials are meeting with key House and Senate moderates today to talk about financing options.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/politics/democrats-agreement-yellen-revenue-economic-agenda/index.html
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1384 on: September 23, 2021, 11:57:37 AM »

Politico has essentially been acting as the press office for No Labels, I’d take any report with a grain of salt.

Politico has jumped the shark at this point. They've always been sensationalistic but each passing year it just gets worse and worse. They're like the National Inquirer of politics, just with more scoops/accurate reporting. The hot takes and pundit takes from them are just laughable.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1385 on: September 23, 2021, 01:15:50 PM »

Schumer and Yellen say agreement reached on paying for economic bill but it's unclear if moderates are on board

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced Thursday an agreement on revenues to pay for the Democrats' $3.5 trillion agenda, though they did not offer details and its unclear if key moderate Democrats are on board.

"The White House, the House and the Senate have reached an agreement on a framework that will pay for any final negotiated agreement," said Schumer, alongside Yellen and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi at her weekly press conference Thursday. "So, the revenue side of this, we have an agreement on."

A senior Democratic aide says there's an agreement between House and Senate Democratic leaders, the chairs of the House Ways and Means and Senate Finance committees, and White House officials are meeting with key House and Senate moderates today to talk about financing options.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/politics/democrats-agreement-yellen-revenue-economic-agenda/index.html

Apparently the funding "framework" is a big surprise to a lot of Dems, including ones that are not moderate, and including the second in command guy, Durbin.  It appears to be a string of words crafted to give the appearance that something is going on moving the ball forward, when in fact nothing is.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/573645-democrats-surprised-caught-off-guard-by-framework-deal

My wild guess is that infrastructure will pass next Monday, without reconciliation of course, and Manchin etc in "exchange" will say they are still happy to chat about reconciliation - at a deliberate pace, no rush. My guess is based on the surmise that Manchin has indicated that if infrastructure is held hostage, reconciliation is dead. The Dems, progressive or otherwise, and not going to go the nothing route. That is my surmise, and I suspect Manchin's. The Dems never had the cards on this one, so they were left with bluffs that are going to be called.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1386 on: September 23, 2021, 01:49:25 PM »

Apparently the funding "framework" is a big surprise to a lot of Dems, including ones that are not moderate, and including the second in command guy, Durbin.  It appears to be a string of words crafted to give the appearance that something is going on moving the ball forward, when in fact nothing is.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/573645-democrats-surprised-caught-off-guard-by-framework-deal

My wild guess is that infrastructure will pass next Monday, without reconciliation of course, and Manchin etc in "exchange" will say they are still happy to chat about reconciliation - at a deliberate pace, no rush. My guess is based on the surmise that Manchin has indicated that if infrastructure is held hostage, reconciliation is dead. The Dems, progressive or otherwise, and not going to go the nothing route. That is my surmise, and I suspect Manchin's. The Dems never had the cards on this one, so they were left with bluffs that are going to be called.

I tend to agree.  Dems are going to have to swallow the bipartisan infrastructure bill.  Pelosi obviously won’t whip against.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1387 on: September 23, 2021, 02:11:35 PM »

Everyone on the planet knows that passing the BIF is killing the rest of the infrastructure package.
We might as well swear in Kyrsten Sinema as president if we allow Republican donors to run the party like this and Pelosi not whipping as strongly against this as possible is political malpractice.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1388 on: September 23, 2021, 02:18:26 PM »

Everyone on the planet knows that passing the BIF is killing the rest of the infrastructure package.
We might as well swear in Kyrsten Sinema as president if we allow Republican donors to run the party like this and Pelosi not whipping as strongly against this as possible is political malpractice.

You expect Pelosi to whip against this?  She didn’t even whip against the deal to extend the Bush tax cuts in late 2010 when she should have.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1389 on: September 23, 2021, 03:12:31 PM »

American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1390 on: September 23, 2021, 03:18:23 PM »

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1391 on: September 23, 2021, 03:19:52 PM »

Republican supports Republicans

Yawn
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1392 on: September 23, 2021, 06:54:07 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2021, 07:04:44 PM by The Swayze Train »

I beg to differ. Manchin hasn't given a single answer as to what he specifically wants cut.

Manchin proposed a 1-1.5 T increase and an increase to 25%, a literal compromise to the compromise. The 3.5T proposal has literally been on the table for half a year and he still doesn't know what he wants cut?

-Will he stand by his prior position of being against federally funded universal Pre-K?  
-Is he still vacillating on whether or not to maintain the provisions regarding community college?
-Does he oppose building 2 million housing units at affordable cost during a time where speculation is pricing out prospective homeowners?
-Does he support the $89B for agricultural modernization as opposed to the $135B proposal? (Mind you, already a cut from the original committee proposal of $200 billion which was signed and backed by numerous agricultural enterprises.)
The progressive wing of the party has already compromised on $7T and restoring the 35% corporate tax. While the $3.5T still leaves meat on the bone, it is acceptable to make to address the challenges of the future. Why should they work with the moderate wing of the party again if they're not gonna hold up their end of the bargain?

LBJ's rolling in his grave at their inability to get in line. Why shouldn't CPC stuff the bipartisan bill, send it back to the house with the reconciliation bill, and tell Manchin to go sit with every committee to go over every little line item his deficit hawk a-- desires so they can get a yes vote? Have him get up there and explain he doesn't want to equip our children with the education most jobs require. Explain what he wants to cut from the provisions regarding sustainable farming which would greatly benefit WV's economy. Make him and Sinema endorse Schrader's watered down proposal on capping prescription drug cost-sharing.

All this s--- about how they had learned their lesson from the ACA fight and its the same BS.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1393 on: September 23, 2021, 07:43:40 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2021, 07:38:47 AM by Triangle Man »

Why should they work with the moderate wing of the party again if they're not gonna hold up their end of the bargain?

Without disagreeing with anything you've said, this feels very much like the last gasp of the "moderate" wing of the Democratic party. Manchin will be gone in 2024, and Sinema might not run at all (though an independent campaign intended to sink Gallego or whoever primaries her wouldn't shock me). The party base will pull up primary challengers for the obstructionist representatives and I wouldn't be shocked to see a number of them go down (Ed Case almost certainly, barring vote splitting).

Mind, I don't expect any Democratic majority post-2024 because of gerrymandering, suppression, and the crazy "overturn elections we lose" fascists, but once Manchin, Sinema, and their supplicants in the House are gone, we're left with Democrats we've successfully bullied into ending the filibuster and supporting wealth redistribution.

Eventually you will have to win an election. Otherwise, there’s no need for a party that isn’t nationally competitive or is some heavily anchored regional/sectarian party.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1394 on: September 23, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2021, 07:50:19 PM by Mr. Kanye West »

Why should they work with the moderate wing of the party again if they're not gonna hold up their end of the bargain?

Without disagreeing with anything you've said, this feels very much like the last gasp of the "moderate" wing of the Democratic party. Manchin will be gone in 2024, and Sinema might not run at all (though an independent campaign intended to sink Gallego or whoever primaries her wouldn't shock me). The party base will pull up primary challengers for the obstructionist representatives and I wouldn't be shocked to see a number of them go down (Ed Case almost certainly, barring vote splitting).

Mind, I don't expect any Democratic majority post-2024 because of gerrymandering, suppression, and the crazy "overturn elections we lose" fascists, but once Manchin, Sinema, and their supplicants in the House are gone, we're left with Democrats we've successfully bullied into ending the filibuster and supporting wealth redistribution.

You know D's can still assume the Trifecta ya, if Biden polls go up in 13 mnths and if D's keep the H and 52+ the Filibuster is Gone in 2023/ not 2025

Users even D's have a Doomsday Scenario and we aren't past Xmas of 2021 and it's the Election is in Nov 2022

We won with 80M VBM votes compared to Rs 7oM D's tend to forget we represent BIGGER STATES THAN Rs MI, PA, CA and if Crist and Beto run good enough campaigns they can win

It's a Blk and Brown and Female Election that propelled Gavin Newsom to landslide not a White male
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1395 on: September 24, 2021, 09:18:53 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2021, 09:29:06 AM by StateBoiler »

So the "vote on infrastructure bill with a deadline September 27th" was agreed on by Pelosi about a month ago.

The progressives wanted to tie the reconciliation bill into the bipartisan bill, they did not want to vote on them separately.

It's Friday, September 24th, 3 days from aforementioned deadline, and in that month, no one finished writing the reconciliation bill? For it to be voted on this coming week requires markup to be held Saturday. The Progressives are going to lose here because of majority party legislative malfunction, either due to deliberately shafting them or due to incompetence.

Charcolt:

If you believe Democrats in the Senate are going to vote to end the filibuster when they become the minority party following the 2022 election, I have a house on the Moon to sell you.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #1396 on: September 24, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »

Schumer needs to have a reconciliation bill written and voted on by September 27.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1397 on: September 24, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2021, 09:33:40 AM by Mr. Kanye West »

So the "vote on infrastructure bill with a deadline September 27th" was agreed on by Pelosi about a month ago.

The progressives wanted to tie the reconciliation bill into the bipartisan bill, they did not want to vote on them separately.

It's Friday, September 24th, 3 days from aforementioned deadline, and in that month, no one finished writing the reconciliation bill? For it to be voted on this coming week requires markup to be held Saturday. The Progressives are going to lose here because of majority party legislative malfunction, either due to deliberately shafting them or due to incompetence.

Charcolt:

If you believe Democrats in the Senate are going to vote to end the filibuster when they become the minority party following the 2022 election, I have a house on the Moon to sell you.

A 4=7T dollar bill isn't happening until the Debt Ceiling is raised, these are wasted votes anyways

Lankford did an R presentation on why Rs are steadfast against the Debt Ceiling, 21% Corporate tax cuts raised in a Recession
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1398 on: September 24, 2021, 12:24:45 PM »

Apparently Pelosi has promised there will be a vote on Reconciliation next week. I keep hearing this on MTP Daily.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1399 on: September 24, 2021, 12:53:57 PM »

Apparently Pelosi has promised there will be a vote on Reconciliation next week. I keep hearing this on MTP Daily.

And it's a wasted vote because nothing is getting out of the Senate with the Debt Ceiling and Govt Shutdown, since Manchin and Sinema are opposed to 3.5T and won't get rid of Filibuster for Debt Ceiling

A 4=7T is going nowhere anytime soon as I keep saying this

Manchin won't get rid of Legislative Filibuster due to fact, he said he keeps looking for 10 Rs, the are 10 Moderate Rs Collins, Murk, Romney, Sasse, Cassidy, Portman and Toomey, but they are opposed to tax hike over 21%,on Corporations that  D's are trying to raise and that's why they won't lift Debt Ceiling
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies