L.C. 10.14 - FF Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:53:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L.C. 10.14 - FF Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: L.C. 10.14 - FF Act  (Read 3216 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2021, 02:11:49 PM »

I'll note that the ban on semi automatic handguns aka pistols is taken from federal law, if this passes, it is in contradiction of federal law and someone will sue to overturn this law.

If filed, this could be solved with a simple ruling that states the obvious: The federal definition takes precedence for as long as it may exist. Lincoln is in this case simply delegating certain enforcement matters to the Federal Government.

The bill is passed, 3-2.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2021, 04:08:16 PM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2021, 04:10:18 PM »

I'll note that the ban on semi automatic handguns aka pistols is taken from federal law, if this passes, it is in contradiction of federal law and someone will sue to overturn this law.

If the contradiction is simply that federal law bans X but regional law does not, that does not imply a legal contradiction. Merely means that someing doing/possessing/etc. X is only committing a federal violation and not a regional one.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2021, 10:00:23 AM »

It’s very disappointing that this passed, this is among the worst bills that I’ve debated in my Atlasian career.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2021, 11:06:30 AM »

It’s very disappointing that this passed, this is among the worst bills that I’ve debated in my Atlasian career.

This bill is so watered down that it barely removes more gun control than it adds. You have yet to provide any evidence that it would actually increase deaths.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2021, 01:32:33 PM »

This bill is so watered down that it barely removes more gun control than it adds. You have yet to provide any evidence that it would actually increase deaths.

The removal of the handgun ban is very alarming, as handguns contribute to a significant amount of deaths. Also 10 years is way too long for a license renewal period.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2021, 02:00:59 PM »

The removal of the handgun ban is very alarming, as handguns contribute to a significant amount of deaths. Also 10 years is way too long for a license renewal period.

Semi-automatic handguns are so widespread that banning them would just create a black market where there are no background checks available. Banning such a common weapon also runs into constitutional concerns (see the RL case DC v. Heller). Requiring a license to be renewed every three years wouldn't have much effect unless you are confiscating guns from people without a license, which would lead to way too many shootouts with law enforcement and was thankfully stopped by this bill. Renewing a license every three years just seems like a pain.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2021, 02:20:37 PM »

Semi-automatic handguns are so widespread that banning them would just create a black market where there are no background checks available. Banning such a common weapon also runs into constitutional concerns (see the RL case DC v. Heller). Requiring a license to be renewed every three years wouldn't have much effect unless you are confiscating guns from people without a license, which would lead to way too many shootouts with law enforcement and was thankfully stopped by this bill. Renewing a license every three years just seems like a pain.

I guess this is where we disagree. I strongly disagree with the logic in DC v Heller and believe it was a bunk partisan where five right wing judges perverted the meaning of the second amendment. It is the worst decision of this millennium and we will feel its consequences for decades. Also I do support gun confiscation for those who don't own licenses, and it being a pain is good, maybe that will convince people to give up their stupid guns.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies