Will there be a roaring 20s?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:48:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Will there be a roaring 20s?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Will there be a roaring 20s?  (Read 1036 times)
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2021, 02:27:55 AM »

Do you believe this upcoming decade will be the roaring 20s or this just a marketing gimmick?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 05:05:48 AM »

Who knows? None of us ever really know what's gonna happen 'til it's already happening.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 07:32:31 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2021, 09:09:43 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I see no reason to think the next decade will be anything like the 1920s in any sense, least if all economically though I wouldn't be surprised to see the stock market crash back to reality. I don't think there really is an appropriate comparison...the 70s with much less culture? It seems destined to be a decade of despair.

e - well it could be roaring in that, like the 1920s, the share of wealth held by the 1 percent matches or exceeds those heights.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »

Lots of signs pointing to a boom coming. Whether that boom lasts six years like the 1923-29 boom is impossible to know.

People forget that the boom followed an extremely sharp and painful but short 1919-1921 recession, with extremely high unemployment as all the draftees demobilized and reentered civilian life only to find there were no jobs. People in 1921 would roll their eyes at Roaring 20s, too.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 01:32:18 PM »

A lot of it depends on the Fed. Fiscal policy is quite loose, but if the Fed is not careful, interest rates will shoot up and raise the cost of borrowing considerably.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 11:40:38 PM »

No for two reasons:

1.  Have a much older population so with more retiring and shrinking work force, that kind of growth is just not feasible.  Growth above 3% for any sustained period of time is unrealistic in most developed countries.

2.  That was before central banks so if inflation gets that high, central banks will raise interest rates which will dampen growth.  And with amount of debt taken on, could even lead to a debt crisis like Greece had last decade in many countries so exact opposite.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 06:14:26 AM »

I see no reason to think the next decade will be anything like the 1920s in any sense, least if all economically though I wouldn't be surprised to see the stock market crash back to reality. I don't think there really is an appropriate comparison...the 70s with much less culture? It seems destined to be a decade of despair.

e - well it could be roaring in that, like the 1920s, the share of wealth held by the 1 percent matches or exceeds those heights.
At least the animation is better this time around. I find 1970’s animation uniquely horrible.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 02:40:40 PM »

I only came prepared to answer regarding if there will be an uptick in partying, social interaction and generally chasing happiness through each other ... and I answer emphatically YES.

(There will also likely be a weird COVID-lockdown-loving holdout that will freak out when people are attending concerts and stuff in August because there are still some COVID cases somewhere, so it will admittedly be interesting to see how long anyone gives them a platform of note.)
Rosethecommie
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 08:43:03 PM »

I mean once covid is out of the picture people are probably gonna party like theres no tomorrow
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies