MI-GOV Megathread: 👵🏻 Gram died alone.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:52:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI-GOV Megathread: 👵🏻 Gram died alone.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23
Author Topic: MI-GOV Megathread: 👵🏻 Gram died alone.  (Read 36062 times)
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2022, 04:15:21 PM »

Ballot signature scandals surrounding Craig and I think some other candidates.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2022, 01:08:05 PM »

The GOP's implosion in the PA, WI, and MI gov races is truly something behold.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2022, 01:20:24 PM »

The GOP's implosion in the PA, WI, and MI gov races is truly something behold.

They weren't gonna win them no ways all the R candidates said Trump won and he didn't
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2022, 01:26:41 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2022, 01:32:34 PM by Citizen »

Are signature challenges a scandal now? I wasn't aware there were races where they didn't happen. I know campaign staffers who put "challenge signatures" in their standard calendar.

Even if Craig is removed from the ballot, it's not like he was unopposed. The Republicans will have a nominee in a state where turnout and Whitmer's unpopularity should give them a major edge. Perhaps even more so if voters think that they lost their first choice due to election law chicanery.

Based on what I'm reading, the Democrats would need to succeed on over 6,000 challenges. I've never heard of something like that happening.

This in particular is hilarious:

The Democratic challenge to Dixon’s signatures focus on an apparent error in the header of her nominating petitions. The campaign indicated she was running for a term that ends in 2026, but under the Michigan Constitution, the gubernatorial term will actually end on the first day of 2027.

“The inaccurate, misleading and false information” included in the header of  “every petition filed by the Dixon campaign violates the Michigan election law and voids those petitions,” [Democratic attorney] Liedel said.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2022, 02:11:33 PM »

Are signature challenges a scandal now? I wasn't aware there were races where they didn't happen. I know campaign staffers who put "challenge signatures" in their standard calendar.

Even if Craig is removed from the ballot, it's not like he was unopposed. The Republicans will have a nominee in a state where turnout and Whitmer's unpopularity should give them a major edge. Perhaps even more so if voters think that they lost their first choice due to election law chicanery.

Based on what I'm reading, the Democrats would need to succeed on over 6,000 challenges. I've never heard of something like that happening.

The Democratic challenge to Dixon’s signatures focus on an apparent error in the header of her nominating petitions. The campaign indicated she was running for a term that ends in 2026, but under the Michigan Constitution, the gubernatorial term will actually end on the first day of 2027.

“The inaccurate, misleading and false information” included in the header of  “every petition filed by the Dixon campaign violates the Michigan election law and voids those petitions,” [Democratic attorney] Liedel said.

Who says Whitmer is "unpopular"?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2022, 03:08:24 PM »

She literally broke her own c0vid regulations which comes off as elitist and holier than thou. And you actually believe she's not unpopular?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2022, 03:28:32 PM »

She literally broke her own c0vid regulations which comes off as elitist and holier than thou. And you actually believe she's not unpopular?
He worships at the feet of the D-biased hack polls saying a blue wave is coming.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2022, 03:59:56 PM »

Pretty much everyone. Google "Whitmer approval rating."

Even the notoriously pro-incumbent Morning Consult poll has her at +4 today, which makes her the third-weakest incumbent facing re-election after Evers and Grisham. Even if you disregard all polling, it's clear that she stirs massive animosity in Republicans without really enthusing Democrats or independents. Intensity is different than net unpopularity but might matter even more in our current high-turnout political environment.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2022, 05:29:07 PM »

Even the notoriously pro-incumbent Morning Consult poll has her at +4 today, which makes her the third-weakest incumbent facing re-election after Evers and Grisham. Even if you disregard all polling, it's clear that she stirs massive animosity in Republicans without really enthusing Democrats or independents. Intensity is different than net unpopularity but might matter even more in our current high-turnout political environment.

The bottom line here is that a +4 approval rating in a swing state does not make her 'unpopular' as much as you wish it does. Not to mention, other public polling from this year has shown her with higher than that as well.

Not sure where you're getting that she doesn't enthuse Democrats either, it feels like a lot of people here wishcasting their own feelings about Whitmer onto the situation rather than what is actually happening in reality.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2022, 07:52:36 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2022, 07:58:54 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

The reason why Ds in WI, Pa and MI have so so Approval is that, there are R state legislatures in those states whereas CA, NM, NV,  IL and NY they have solid D state legislature that's why incumbent D Govs are so vulnerable in those states like Evers, Rs are gonna have a super Majority State legislature because I'd Gerrymandering but he is still popular same with Shapiro Wolf is popular but Rs Dominate the R state legislature

But just like for Prez D's elect D Govs and Sen and for Prez D's in those three states

That answers your question why Ds are vulnerable

I have statistics two
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2022, 08:13:22 PM »

The bottom line here is that a +4 approval rating in a swing state does not make her 'unpopular' as much as you wish it does. Not to mention, other public polling from this year has shown her with higher than that as well.

Not sure where you're getting that she doesn't enthuse Democrats either, it feels like a lot of people here wishcasting their own feelings about Whitmer onto the situation rather than what is actually happening in reality.

Yeah, I have to categorically disagree that she doesn't enthuse Democrats. In my experience, she gets a degree of admiration from Michigan Democrats (and suburban Democrats in particular) that well exceeds that of any other elected official at the moment, including Biden. Yes, her being singled out by the GOP as Enemy #1 for many months has energized her Republican opposition, but it has also galvanized Democrats in her defense. That isn't to say that she doesn't have a tough road ahead, because she does, but that's pretty much entirely just by virtue of the unfavorable national environment.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2022, 09:53:05 AM »

Good to see Atlas Tan and Blue avatars certain that Whitmer is headed for a landslide loss in her reelect. I don't know who gonna win, I don't know who gonna lose. All I know is that it'll be kinda close. The current GOP frontrunner wants to repeal the state income tax which I mean I don't hate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2022, 10:43:19 AM »

When are they gonna release a poll
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2022, 11:35:05 PM »

It is worth noting that the Democrats have had a lucky streak in Michigan as of late. With the top GOP contender (James Craig) potentially having just doomed himself from the nomination and Democrats having overperformed in several MI statewide elections. I still think it's a toss-up but of the toss-ups I'd now argue that this is the most likely to remain Democrat.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2022, 04:00:47 PM »

What a hot ass mess.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2022, 05:03:15 PM »

What a hot ass mess.

Kick him off!  Kick him off!
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2022, 10:21:03 PM »

It is worth noting that the Democrats have had a lucky streak in Michigan as of late. With the top GOP contender (James Craig) potentially having just doomed himself from the nomination and Democrats having overperformed in several MI statewide elections. I still think it's a toss-up but of the toss-ups I'd now argue that this is the most likely to remain Democrat.

The GOP has shot themselves in the foot over and over again. Like in hindsight Slotkin and Stevens should've been more serious targets in 2020 and they should've taken MI-Sen 2020 more seriously. MI-Sen 2014 was also embarrassing.

Also on the statewide office levels, the GOP always seems to run people outside the mainstream who really struggle to connect with voters and come off as either too extreme and/or too in it for themselves.

Considering they could still increase margins in many communities in the state and the main Dem vote get; Detroit, has been shrinking, the GOP really needs to take the state more serious long term, especially since the new maps make the state legistlature more competative and a Dem trifecta isn't out of the question this decade.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2022, 11:34:52 PM »

The GOP has shot themselves in the foot over and over again. Like in hindsight Slotkin and Stevens should've been more serious targets in 2020 and they should've taken MI-Sen 2020 more seriously. MI-Sen 2014 was also embarrassing.

Also on the statewide office levels, the GOP always seems to run people outside the mainstream who really struggle to connect with voters and come off as either too extreme and/or too in it for themselves.

Considering they could still increase margins in many communities in the state and the main Dem vote get; Detroit, has been shrinking, the GOP really needs to take the state more serious long term, especially since the new maps make the state legistlature more competative and a Dem trifecta isn't out of the question this decade.

Wayne county isn’t really shrinking very fast and the main places gaining population Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and the Detroit suburbs are all rapidly trending D so I don’t think this is as important as you’re making it out to be.
Splash
United States

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2022, 04:40:52 PM »

We should find out tonight whether Craig and two other GOP candidates are going to be kicked off the ballot.

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2022, 06:38:40 PM »

In the end, 5 candidates could end up not making the Republican primary ballot due to a Board of Elections recommendation.
Splash
United States

« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2022, 06:41:28 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2022, 06:46:51 PM by Splash »

Splash
United States

« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2022, 06:49:41 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2022, 11:55:32 PM by Splash »

In other news, the board of elections did recommend that Tudor Dixon get ballot access. She's still practically unknown across the board but she has been racking up endorsements from establishment types, including the DeVos family, whom endorsed her today.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #147 on: May 23, 2022, 07:01:09 PM »

Craig would have won the general easily. LOL
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2022, 07:50:35 PM »

This is hilarious and, I'd guess, unprecedented.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2022, 07:55:03 PM »

Who will be the nominee? Dixon, Soldano, or Rinke?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies