Worst 20th Century Democratic President (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:52:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Worst 20th Century Democratic President (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was the worst democratic president of the 20th century?
Woodrow Wilson

Franklin Roosevelt

Harry Truman

John Kennedy

Lyndon Johnson

James Carter

Bill Clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Worst 20th Century Democratic President  (Read 8998 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« on: August 15, 2006, 03:01:34 PM »

Carter, and I really don't think he was a terrible president.  He was just in way over his head.  Had it not been for the oil crisis, the Iranian Revolution and ensuing hostage crisis, and of course stagflation (which ended in the '80s thanks to economic reforms adopted by the Fed during the Carter Administration!), he would have been remembered in a kinder light. 

Johnson had much of the same problem with the Vietnam War.  He (and I'm referring to Johnson here) also went too far with some of his Great Society programs, such as affirmative action and welfare, that could be easily exploited to achieve means contrary to their original intent.

Wilson, Roosevelt, and Truman were fantastic presidents.  Truman is probably my personal favorite, though the other two come close.  I'm going to defend Wilson here since it seems that he's been getting a lot of negative feedback.  How can you have a low opinion of a man under whose administration so many reforms were enacted?   During his administration, American business continued to open up to more competition, income taxes were authorized (16th Amendment, OK maybe libertarians won't like that one), senators became directly elected (17th Amendment, and women received the right to vote (19th Amendment).  Okay, Prohibition turned out to be a bad idea.  I maintain that, although he initially tried to remain neutral, Wilson and the U.S. got into the war for the right reasons.  And let's not forget that he, along with Theodore Roosevelt, were instrumental in shaping 20th Century American foreign policy. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies