2021 Boston Mayoral Election Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:44:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2021 Boston Mayoral Election Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Michelle Wu

Kim Janey

Andrea Campbell

Jon Santiago

John Barros

Annissa Essaibi George

Michael J. Bianchi II

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: 2021 Boston Mayoral Election Megathread  (Read 3546 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 07:38:56 PM »

JMT

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 08:18:50 PM »

JMT

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2021, 09:08:13 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2021, 07:53:16 AM »

Looks like Essaibi George edged out Janey for second.
JMT

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2021, 09:28:13 AM »

Big disappointment for the Not Acting Mayor(TM).
JMT

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2021, 12:45:52 PM »

JMT

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2021, 06:53:40 AM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2021, 01:25:52 PM »

New Data for Progress poll shows Wu in the driver’s seat-

pikachu
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2021, 06:27:40 PM »

I haven’t seen much discussion about this election, but could someone give a quick tl;dr on what’s deal with it? Big issues? (I assume housing because superstar city gonna superstar city, but what’s the discourse about it in Boston? Doesn’t feel like it gets as much attention as other cities.) What are the candidates’ coalitions? Are either of them future prospects for MA-GOV/SEN or are they running to be mayor for life? Is being mayor even that great or is it like NYC when the gov just bullies you all day? Very curious about one.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2021, 07:01:00 PM »

I haven’t seen much discussion about this election, but could someone give a quick tl;dr on what’s deal with it? Big issues? (I assume housing because superstar city gonna superstar city, but what’s the discourse about it in Boston? Doesn’t feel like it gets as much attention as other cities.) What are the candidates’ coalitions? Are either of them future prospects for MA-GOV/SEN or are they running to be mayor for life? Is being mayor even that great or is it like NYC when the gov just bullies you all day? Very curious about one.

Doesn't seem to be much discussion of the race on AAD either, outside of a handful of Tweets. Wu has been endorsed by both the current mayor and Ayanna Pressley.

Wu does relatively better with Asian voters and Latino voters- her coalition seems more concerned with housing and public transit. By contrast, AEG seems to have the advantage on crime/law-and-order. This checks out with that 538 podcast on the race I listened to last month.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2021, 08:37:49 PM »

Yeah, it's hard to see how Wu won't totally dominate this race.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2021, 02:35:03 PM »

Doesn't seem to be much discussion of the race on AAD either, outside of a handful of Tweets. Wu has been endorsed by both the current mayor and Ayanna Pressley.

Wu does relatively better with Asian voters and Latino voters- her coalition seems more concerned with housing and public transit. By contrast, AEG seems to have the advantage on crime/law-and-order. This checks out with that 538 podcast on the race I listened to last month.

Interesting - seems like crime would be a less salient issue in Boston than maybe in other cities, so it'd make sense that a law-and-order campaign might be less effective there. Would be interesting to see Asians/Latinos go for the progressive-coded candidate in the race, but then again, I don't know much about the demographic profiles of either group in Boston.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2021, 10:39:44 PM »

Interesting - seems like crime would be a less salient issue in Boston than maybe in other cities, so it'd make sense that a law-and-order campaign might be less effective there. Would be interesting to see Asians/Latinos go for the progressive-coded candidate in the race, but then again, I don't know much about the demographic profiles of either group in Boston.

Here's what I can glean from Statistical Atlas:

The Asians in Boston proper are mostly ethnic Chinese (49%/4.6%), with smaller numbers of Vietnamese (19%/1.8%) and Indians (14%/1.3%). Interestingly, the Cambodian proportion of the Asian population is much lower in Boston proper than Metro Boston as a whole. The Latinos are mostly Puerto Rican (28%/5.3%), Dominican (26%/4.9%), and Central American (22%/4.2%).

The Chinese seem to be concentrated around Chinatown (which has a relatively high median household income) and in the western lobe of Boston proper next to Cambridge[?]. The Vietnamese are concentrated in the more lower-income area south of downtown, around I-93 (east of where the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are concentrated). The Indians are concentrated in the western lobe, although also in areas that have relatively low median incomes. The Central Americans are concentrated in the area east of the harbor.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2021, 12:45:03 PM »

Here's what I can glean from Statistical Atlas:

The Asians in Boston proper are mostly ethnic Chinese (49%/4.6%), with smaller numbers of Vietnamese (19%/1.8%) and Indians (14%/1.3%). Interestingly, the Cambodian proportion of the Asian population is much lower in Boston proper than Metro Boston as a whole. The Latinos are mostly Puerto Rican (28%/5.3%), Dominican (26%/4.9%), and Central American (22%/4.2%).

The Chinese seem to be concentrated around Chinatown (which has a relatively high median household income) and in the western lobe of Boston proper next to Cambridge[?]. The Vietnamese are concentrated in the more lower-income area south of downtown, around I-93 (east of where the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are concentrated). The Indians are concentrated in the western lobe, although also in areas that have relatively low median incomes. The Central Americans are concentrated in the area east of the harbor.

There’s a massive Cambodian population in Lowell, which iirc is proportionately the largest in the US and the second-largest overall after Long Beach.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2021, 01:29:14 PM »

Just expecting an absolute Wu landslide.
JMT

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2021, 09:21:09 PM »

ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2021, 09:28:46 PM »

Now we wait for the exit polls and precinct results #PineapplesBelongOnPizza
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2021, 09:47:52 PM »

This is probably going to be the only major race where progressives can really celebrate.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2021, 10:00:38 PM »

How can Michelle Wu be considered a "woman of color"? I didn't know that East Asian people are officially deemed "yellow". At least it sounds as though it's what that CNN anchor man is trying to drill into our heads. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2021, 10:08:51 PM »

How can Michelle Wu be considered a "woman of color"? I didn't know that East Asian people are officially deemed "yellow". At least it sounds as though it's what that CNN anchor man is trying to drill into our heads. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Non-White or Minority can be interpreted as offensive, so it's a neutral term to refer to all groups that are not White - which Wu does not identify as.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2021, 10:11:32 PM »

Non-White or Minority can be interpreted as offensive, so it's a neutral term to refer to all groups that are not White - which Wu does not identify as.

It's sounds to strange to refer to them as "non-white" / "colored" as East Asian people's skin color is also white.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2021, 10:48:33 PM »

It's sounds to strange to refer to them as "non-white" / "colored" as East Asian people's skin color is also white.

In the US, "White" basically means Europeans, their descendants, and neighboring peoples who physically/culturally resemble Europeans. East Asians do not fit these criteria (and from my observation, generally tan to darker skin tones than Northwestern Europeans).

Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2021, 11:24:33 PM »

In the US, "White" basically means Europeans, their descendants, and neighboring peoples who physically/culturally resemble Europeans. East Asians do not fit these criteria (and from my observation, generally tan to darker skin tones than Northwestern Europeans).

I get what you mean, but if you take a look at an average Greek, Turk or Cypriot (provided you consider them European), their skin tone is still darker than that of most Japaneses.
I think the term "non-European" or "non-Caucasian" would be more accurate.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2021, 11:27:14 PM »

The election map basically looks like Irish voters vs everyone else:

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: