Will Islamism cease to be a threat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:05:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will Islamism cease to be a threat?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Will Islamism cease to be a threat?  (Read 3177 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2021, 09:59:53 PM »

Al-Qaeda isn’t going anywhere in any of their fronts, they are a nothingburger now.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2021, 05:17:03 AM »

"Islamism" isn't really a single thing. In the Islamic world you've got your caliphate restorationists, but also those whose Islamism has more in common with Christian democracy than with ISIS, plus a much broader mass of voters and parties who may have generally politically conservative Islamic mores but who also have other material concerns that will affect their political affiliations.

And then you've got Islamist identities in western countries, which take different forms based on the political context they're reacting to it in that country.

There's enough variation there that it's possible for some of them to be in structural/cyclical decline whilst others are resilient or growing forces.

The OP was referring primarily to Salafi jihadists that we are all familiar with from the 1990s and 2000s:

And to answer the OP, not anytime soon, if this article from last summer is of any indication:

Report: Taliban allowing Al Qaeda training camps and providing support, despite U.S. agreement to cut all ties

Exactly. These people aren’t going anywhere when they can use people like Trump in their propaganda.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2021, 01:39:06 AM »

Al-Qaeda isn’t going anywhere in any of their fronts, they are a nothingburger now.

Hardly, they’re deeply embedded in insurgencies around the world.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2021, 08:07:36 AM »

Islamists seem to be causing a bit of bother in Mozambique right now.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 05:33:03 PM »

Islamists seem to be causing a bit of bother in Mozambique right now.

And in the eastern Congo.  West Africa, we already know... 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2021, 06:02:28 PM »

Will Islamism ever stop being a threat??? I’m not talking about Islam, I am talking mostly about Salafi Jihadism, an ideology that is obviously genocidal and created refugees in the millions.

I love how this definition of "Islamism" excludes the Islamic Republic of Iran, which most fearmongerers about Islamic fundamentalism would (laughably) point to as threat #1.

And the answer is embedded right there. With the Middle East turning into a Saudi vs Iranian battle for domination of the region, the jihadi types are mostly agitated about fighting Iran and its proxies (Assad, the Houthis in Yemen, etc), not "the West."
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 06:09:23 AM »

Will Islamism ever stop being a threat??? I’m not talking about Islam, I am talking mostly about Salafi Jihadism, an ideology that is obviously genocidal and created refugees in the millions.

I love how this definition of "Islamism" excludes the Islamic Republic of Iran, which most fearmongerers about Islamic fundamentalism would (laughably) point to as threat #1.

And the answer is embedded right there. With the Middle East turning into a Saudi vs Iranian battle for domination of the region, the jihadi types are mostly agitated about fighting Iran and its proxies (Assad, the Houthis in Yemen, etc), not "the West."
They are also a threat but Shia terrorism is a lot less global.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2021, 09:17:00 AM »

Honestly the only country in the Western World where Iran is seen as part of the threat from Islamism is USA, pretty much everyone else recognize that the vast majority of Islamic terrorism is funded by our good allies in the Persian Gulf.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2021, 01:27:22 AM »

Honestly the only country in the Western World where Iran is seen as part of the threat from Islamism is USA, pretty much everyone else recognize that the vast majority of Islamic terrorism is funded by our good allies in the Persian Gulf.

Iran harbors a lot of al-Qaeda senior leadership and they, Hezbollah, and the Assad regime have facilitated and allied with jihadists many times. They have plenty of Sunni allies in the Arab world, which makes sense because merely supporting Shiite groups limits the degree of their influence in the Arab and Islamic worlds (Shiites are a minority of Muslims, after all). Moreover, Iran supporting Shiite groups is obvious and expected, whereas supporting Sunnis (including Salafi jihadists) gives them more plausible deniability and a broader array of options.

The Islamic Revolution of 1979 may have been Shiite, but its aspirations were, and are, pan-Islamist and it inspired Islamists across the board. Khomeini and his supporters condemned the United States, Israel, and the Gulf monarchies; in Iran, they had helped overthrow a monarchy that had been allied with the US and Israel. Al Qaeda and other Salafi jihadist groups similarly despise the US, Israel, and the Gulf monarchies. They can be pragmatic enough, and opportunistic enough, to find common cause with Iran here.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2021, 01:55:30 AM »

Iran harbors a lot of al-Qaeda senior leadership and they, Hezbollah, and the Assad regime have facilitated and allied with jihadists many times. They have plenty of Sunni allies in the Arab world, which makes sense because merely supporting Shiite groups limits the degree of their influence in the Arab and Islamic worlds (Shiites are a minority of Muslims, after all). Moreover, Iran supporting Shiite groups is obvious and expected, whereas supporting Sunnis (including Salafi jihadists) gives them more plausible deniability and a broader array of options.

The Islamic Revolution of 1979 may have been Shiite, but its aspirations were, and are, pan-Islamist and it inspired Islamists across the board. Khomeini and his supporters condemned the United States, Israel, and the Gulf monarchies; in Iran, they had helped overthrow a monarchy that had been allied with the US and Israel. Al Qaeda and other Salafi jihadist groups similarly despise the US, Israel, and the Gulf monarchies. They can be pragmatic enough, and opportunistic enough, to find common cause with Iran here.

Yeah. I absolutely agree with the sense developing on the left that affirmatively supporting Saudi Arabia over against Iran is getting ridiculous, but let's not pretend the Iranians are cuddly teddy bears either.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2021, 07:12:35 AM »

Hesbollah??
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2021, 10:14:02 AM »

Hesbollah??

Yes. What about them?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2021, 10:17:12 AM »

Yeah. I absolutely agree with the sense developing on the left that affirmatively supporting Saudi Arabia over against Iran is getting ridiculous, but let's not pretend the Iranians are cuddly teddy bears either.

Viciously authoritarian monarchy that sponsors Wahhabi ideology vs. viciously authoritarian theocracy that exports its Islamist “revolution” via various violent proxies. Pick your poison I guess.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2021, 11:17:12 AM »

Iran is countered by its ambitions by Israel and Turkey also, so the argument that Iran would take over from a US-deescalation regionally falls flat.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2021, 05:48:40 PM »

Hesbollah??

Yes. What about them?
They are Shia militants and one of the few well known examples.
Houthis is a more hardline one.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2021, 12:00:19 AM »

The Houthis from the info I’m getting on them are only more rigid in the sense of fully representing the oppressed Zaydi Shia minority there. Unlike with the PMU or Hezbollah however, they are not as sectarian. The government of the northern Yemeni state also is not totally ran by the Houthis or just Shias and has better rule of law.

This, and mainly the fact that the cooperation between the Houthis and Iran is quite minimal relatively speaking—they aren’t subservient proxies totally onboard with what Khomeini or the Sepah says—is why they aren’t on the terror list anymore.

Iran isn’t Al-Qaeda in wanting to create a new Caliphate or even having the means to anymore.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2021, 04:21:01 AM »

Define "threat".

If you mean "threat to the U.S." then it's been years since we needed to base our policies on how to react to Islamists.

To the extent we even need to consider Islamist-specific issues, those entirely are foreign policy concerns.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2021, 01:14:50 PM »

The Houthis from the info I’m getting on them are only more rigid in the sense of fully representing the oppressed Zaydi Shia minority there. Unlike with the PMU or Hezbollah however, they are not as sectarian. The government of the northern Yemeni state also is not totally ran by the Houthis or just Shias and has better rule of law.

This, and mainly the fact that the cooperation between the Houthis and Iran is quite minimal relatively speaking—they aren’t subservient proxies totally onboard with what Khomeini or the Sepah says—is why they aren’t on the terror list anymore.

Iran isn’t Al-Qaeda in wanting to create a new Caliphate or even having the means to anymore.

So much of this post is wrong it’s hard to know where to start.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2021, 02:44:10 PM »

So much of this post is wrong it’s hard to know where to start.
Start with the first paragraph.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies