BREAKING - Running mate vetting for the 2036 Democratic ticket has already begun!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:30:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  BREAKING - Running mate vetting for the 2036 Democratic ticket has already begun!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING - Running mate vetting for the 2036 Democratic ticket has already begun!  (Read 1554 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2021, 03:22:27 PM »

The only question is who's vetting whom?

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 03:52:42 PM »

No thanks
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 08:17:07 PM »

Lol
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 10:28:55 AM »

I think for having a shot at being prez, Butti needs to carpetbag in VA and get elected gov or senator. But barring extraordinary events, neither of these offices will open up in the next few years.

AOC is in a better position, but likely has to wait for Schumer or Gilibrand to retire. NY-Gov remains a wildcard with Cuomo's fate in question. 2022 seems to early and she hasn't even expressed any interest in running.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 01:10:29 PM »

I think for having a shot at being prez, Butti needs to carpetbag in VA and get elected gov or senator. But barring extraordinary events, neither of these offices will open up in the next few years.

AOC is in a better position, but likely has to wait for Schumer or Gilibrand to retire. NY-Gov remains a wildcard with Cuomo's fate in question. 2022 seems to early and she hasn't even expressed any interest in running.

Would Maryland be a good place for Buttigieg to carpetbag to?

I don’t see AOC running for Governor in 2022; I doubt Cuomo will run (and if he does, I’d bet he’ll lose the primary), but I suspect there are others that are better positioned than her. Plus, as you mentioned, she doesn’t seem interested.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 07:39:37 PM »

I have to say, there's something that really pisses me off of the idea of Pete Buttigieg moving to Virginia or Maryland and running for statewide office. Maybe I'm just mad as a former resident of the state that Indiana Dems have basically no hope but I also feel like it's the peak of what Republicans think of Democrats as: People who pretend to care about working class communities but really first and foremost care about their career and not the "flyover country" they represent. This is probably totally irrational, but I just feel like Buttigieg carpetbagging would make him totally unelectable in the midwest.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 07:50:59 PM »

I have to say, there's something that really pisses me off of the idea of Pete Buttigieg moving to Virginia or Maryland and running for statewide office. Maybe I'm just mad as a former resident of the state that Indiana Dems have basically no hope but I also feel like it's the peak of what Republicans think of Democrats as: People who pretend to care about working class communities but really first and foremost care about their career and not the "flyover country" they represent. This is probably totally irrational, but I just feel like Buttigieg carpetbagging would make him totally unelectable in the midwest.

The sad thing is that I'm sure that the "moderate" white suburban Democratic base here, if people like my dad's side of my family are any indication, would eat him up in the pride of supporting a token minority who doesn't really represent said minority at all. Such is Hogan's and Ehrlich's Maryland.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 02:46:41 AM »

both of them will be irrelevant by 2036
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 06:29:49 PM »

*Implying that Pete would otherwise be electable in the midwest*
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 09:50:23 PM »

The plot thickens...
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 10:27:32 PM »

Hmm.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 10:26:50 PM »

It's worth considering what Vice presidential nominees were up to 15 years before they were selected.

In 1969, Geraldine Ferraro was a part-time lawyer in her husband's real estate firm.
In 1973, Lloyd Bentsen was in his first term in the Senate. Weirdly, he had won the Senate primary as a centrist busiessman.
In 1977, Al Gore had just been elected to Congress, the son of a recent Senator.
In 1985, Joe Lieberman was Connecticut Attorney General.
In 1989, John Edwards was a well-regarded plaintiff's lawyer in North Carolina.
In 1993, Joe Biden was in his fourth term in the Senate.
In 2001, Tim Kaine was a mayor of Richmond running for Lieutenant Governor.
In 2005, Kamala Harris was in her second year as San Francisco DA.

It seems rare to have a ticket where both candidates are known fifteen years before the presidential election. If the presidential candidate is experienced, they tend to pick a younger running mate. If the presidential candidate is less-known, they tend to go with an experienced Senator.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 10:39:40 PM »

It's worth considering what Vice presidential nominees were up to 15 years before they were selected.

In 1969, Geraldine Ferraro was a part-time lawyer in her husband's real estate firm.
In 1973, Lloyd Bentsen was in his first term in the Senate. Weirdly, he had won the Senate primary as a centrist busiessman.
In 1977, Al Gore had just been elected to Congress, the son of a recent Senator.
In 1985, Joe Lieberman was Connecticut Attorney General.
In 1989, John Edwards was a well-regarded plaintiff's lawyer in North Carolina.
In 1993, Joe Biden was in his fourth term in the Senate.
In 2001, Tim Kaine was a mayor of Richmond running for Lieutenant Governor.
In 2005, Kamala Harris was in her second year as San Francisco DA.

It seems rare to have a ticket where both candidates are known fifteen years before the presidential election. If the presidential candidate is experienced, they tend to pick a younger running mate. If the presidential candidate is less-known, they tend to go with an experienced Senator.

It's true for Republicans as well.
In 2001, Mike Pence was newly elected to Congress
In 1997, Paul Ryan was a congressional staffer
In 1993, Sarah Palin had been recently elected to Wasilla City Council
In 1985, Dick Cheney was serving his fourth term in Congress
In 1981, Jack Kemp was a fifth-term Congressman who had been elected to leadership
In 1973, Dan Quayle was working as an aide in state government
In 1965, George Bush was an oil businessman who had recently lost a Senate race
In 1961, Bob Dole had just been elected to Congress
In 1953, Spiro Agnew was a lawyer in private practice

Only Kemp could be described as well-known.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 03:01:57 PM »

The median Democrat would be delighted over a Buttigieg/AOC ticket, despite what Twitter or Atlas would tell you.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies