FT 19.08 Climate Preparedness and Response Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:38:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 19.08 Climate Preparedness and Response Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FT 19.08 Climate Preparedness and Response Act (Statute)  (Read 1036 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2021, 07:21:54 PM »
« edited: April 24, 2021, 10:20:07 PM by Anna Komnene »

A BILL
To identify, prepare, and respond to risks of climate disaster.

Be it enacted by the Parliament of Frémont assembled;
Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Climate Preparedness and Response Act or the CPR Act.

Section 2. Climate Preparedness and Response Commission

1. A multi-disciplinary commission shall be established under the purview of the Ministry of Internal Affairs to monitor and mitigate threats of climate disaster.
2. The First Minister shall appoint members to the commission to be composed of scientists from three separate institutions, including one climatologist; representatives from public works and utilities, emergency management, and health; and individuals with expertise in the diverse geographies of the region.
3. The commission shall compile a report on projected changes in weather, water availability, sea levels, power supply maintenance and availability, and disaster mitigation strategies across the region for a period of:
a. Five years beginning with the next even-numbered year; and
b. At least 20 years and not longer than 50 years beginning with the next even-numbered year.

Section 3. Weatherizing the Grid

1. Power supply providers within the region shall submit annual reports to the Climate Preparedness and Response Commission, demonstrating that they have:
a. Weatherized their equipment to withstand projected weather patterns.
b. Evaluated and addressed risks to their ability to provide a stable power supply during adverse weather conditions.
c. Established contingency plans to mitigate large scale power outages.
2. Power supply providers shall be subject to inspection and review by the Climate Preparedness and Response Commission.

Section 4. Climate Disaster Response Assistance

1. $500 million shall be set aside annually to establish programs and services that respond to officially declared climate disasters, as well as to provide assistance to victims.
2. A hotline shall be established where individuals may report issues related to officially declared climate disasters.
3. The Region will cooperate with the government of the Republic of Atlasia in finding shelter for any victims of officially declared climate disasters, including immigrants and those who have been granted refugee status.

Section 5. Incentives for Individuals to Weatherize their Homes

1. A tax rebate of up to $3000 will be made available to all individuals that agree to weatherize their homes, including:
a. Contracting a Home Energy Audit to identify weatherization needs
b. Window and Door Repair and Replacement
c. Adding insulation
d. Other weatherization and climate mitigation strategies endorsed by the Commission

Section 6. Effectiveness

1. This act shall be effective immediately upon passage.
Sponsor: Siren

The floor is open for debate.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 08:06:41 PM »

I got the idea to do this bill back in February when Texas had those really bad power outages and wanted to work on a bill to address it. While Texas isn't in our region, we still know Atlasians who suffered from it (including one of the presidential candidates in the last national election!) And I think Frémont will be well served to be prepared so we can avoid the wounds from disasters like that instead of trying to bandage them up after the fact. It's like how I abbreviated the bill CPR. Preventative medicine is always the best kind!

Originally I was going to do a bill just focused on the power issue, but let's face it, utility regulations alone are super boring. After talking it over with First Minister Truman, I decided to expand the scope to include all climate related disasters. So the focus is on short term issues we've seen recently but also to try to prepare for issues that might arise in the coming years and decades - anything from drought, extreme heat and cold, rising sea levels, abnormally strong storms, and pretty much anything else you can think of.

I'm very open to ideas to improve this. I'm sure there's lots of things I might not have thought of, and I'm looking forward to discussing it with you all.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 04:04:28 PM »

It occurred to me that we might want some kind of penalty mechanism to enforce section 3 when providers fail inspection. Any ideas on how to go about it?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 11:44:36 PM »

It occurred to me that we might want some kind of penalty mechanism to enforce section 3 when providers fail inspection. Any ideas on how to go about it?

Fine them.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 11:46:30 PM »

$500 million just on climate disasters seems a bit too low given many natural disaster in the region cost more in damage.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 11:29:56 AM »

$500 million just on climate disasters seems a bit too low given many natural disaster in the region cost more in damage.

I think you're probably right about that. How much do you think it should be?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 01:33:13 AM »

I wasn't really sure how much the fine should be. Being large corporations with responsibility for people's livelihood made me lean toward it being higher.

Quote from: amendment

1. Power supply providers within the region shall submit annual reports to the Climate Preparedness and Response Commission, demonstrating that they have:
b. Evaluated and addressed risks to their ability to provide a stable power supply during adverse weather conditions.
2. Power supply providers shall be subject to inspection and review by the Climate Preparedness and Response Commission.
3. Entities found in violation of Climate Preparedness and Response standards for the first time shall be subject to a fine of $100,000.
4. Each subsequent failed inspection shall increase the fine by $200,000 per violation.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 07:36:27 AM »

The amendment is adopted.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 05:08:28 PM »

I obviously support this bill. I actually think we should get more aggressive. I propose the following amendment.

Quote from: Amendment

3. Entities found in violation of Climate Preparedness and Response standards for the first time shall be subject to a fine of $250,000.
4. Each subsequent failed inspection shall increase the fine by $500,000 per violation.

1. $500 $750 million shall be set aside annually to establish programs and services that respond to officially declared climate disasters, as well as to provide assistance to victims.
2. A hotline shall be established where individuals may report issues related to officially declared climate disasters.
3. The Region will cooperate with the government of the Republic of Atlasia in finding shelter for any victims of officially declared climate disasters, including immigrants and those who have been granted refugee status.

1. A tax rebate of up to $3000 will be made available to all individuals that agree to weatherize their homes, including:
c. Adding insulation
d. Improving ventilation and moisture control
d. e. Other weatherization and climate mitigation strategies endorsed by the Commission
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 09:56:02 PM »

I'm fine with those changes. Good idea with the ventilation and moisture control.

24 hours for objections.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 10:03:16 PM »

The amendment is adopted.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 12:01:35 PM »

I'm curious as to the formal implications of "officially declared climate disasters". Does this refer to a formal declaration from the First Minister, the Federal government, state and local authorities, or all of them? I wonder who has the binding authority and whether the issue requires clarification or not.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 01:42:22 PM »

I'm curious as to the formal implications of "officially declared climate disasters". Does this refer to a formal declaration from the First Minister, the Federal government, state and local authorities, or all of them? I wonder who has the binding authority and whether the issue requires clarification or not.

Good question. Originally I was thinking of both the FM and the President (but not really anyone else), but it probably makes more sense to base our law around the FM from a regional administration standpoint. What do you think?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 05:13:29 PM »

Presidents do declare disaster areas IRL to allow FEMA money to the impacted area and invokes significant coordination between the president and local authorities to so yea including the president in a “regionally declared disaster” makes sense.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 09:22:54 AM »

I agree with what YE said. I don't think that it needs a clarification in the language of the bill, but if anyone wants to write an amendment I have nothing against it.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 02:31:16 PM »

I'll motion for a final vote on this bill. 24 hours for objections.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 02:57:37 PM »

No objections, upon reflection I agree that no further clarification is required.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 03:23:06 PM »

With no objections, we'll now have a final vote on this bill. Members please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

A BILL

Section 1. Title

This legislation may be cited as the Climate Preparedness and Response Act or the CPR Act.

1. A multi-disciplinary commission shall be established under the purview of the Ministry of Internal Affairs to monitor and mitigate threats of climate disaster.
2. The First Minister shall appoint members to the commission to be composed of scientists from three separate institutions, including one climatologist; representatives from public works and utilities, emergency management, and health; and individuals with expertise in the diverse geographies of the region.
3. The commission shall compile a report on projected changes in weather, water availability, sea levels, power supply maintenance and availability, and disaster mitigation strategies across the region for a period of:
b. At least 20 years and not longer than 50 years beginning with the next even-numbered year.

3. Entities found in violation of Climate Preparedness and Response standards for the first time shall be subject to a fine of $250,000.
4. Each subsequent failed inspection shall increase the fine by $500,000 per violation.

1. $750 million shall be set aside annually to establish programs and services that respond to officially declared climate disasters, as well as to provide assistance to victims.

c. Adding insulation
e. Other weatherization and climate mitigation strategies endorsed by the Commission

Section 6. Effectiveness

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 03:36:03 PM »

Aye.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 03:38:25 PM »

Aye
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 04:51:39 PM »

Aye.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2021, 08:31:26 PM »

Ay
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 12:53:42 AM »

Aye
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2021, 06:00:18 PM »

With 5 votes in favor and 1 not voting, this bill passed the Frémont Parliament.

A BILL

Section 1. Title

1. $750 million shall be set aside annually to establish programs and services that respond to officially declared climate disasters, as well as to provide assistance to victims.

c. Adding insulation
e. Other weatherization and climate mitigation strategies endorsed by the Commission

Section 6. Effectiveness

Frémont House of Commons
Passed 5-0-1 in the Frémont Parliament Assembled,

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »

A BILL

Section 1. Title

c. Adding insulation

Section 6. Effectiveness

Frémont House of Commons
Passed 5-0-1 in the Frémont Parliament Assembled,

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies