UK By-elections thread, 2021- (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:38:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021- (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 177196 times)
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« on: March 19, 2021, 04:20:26 PM »

I want to have some of what Ladbrokes punters are smoking.

Estrella

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 07:46:25 PM »

Two most recent by-elections caused by an MP being kicked upstairs to the Lords were Ribble Valley in 1991 and before that Penrith and the Border in 1983. The former took place in the middle of the poll tax battle and Tories obviously lost. The latter happened just weeks after the 1983 landslide and Tories still nearly managed to lose it, only holding on by 600 votes. Apparently it made Thatcher swear to never elevate another MP again.

All of this doesn't necessarily mean anything, of course, but there's a good reason why we haven't seen this type of by-election for a long time. Boris knows the history of his party well; he knows what he's doing.
Estrella

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 06:59:48 PM »

Apparently, the writ will be moved for two by-elections tomorrow - so they should be up in the next four weeks. But Dorries hasn’t formally resigned yet?

(And regarding the previous comment - I hear the weather in Mongolia is lovely at this time of year)*

* If it’s not him, then I’ve officially lost track of MP scandals - there’s just too many right now.

Boris probably doesn’t want to give up being Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Chiltern Hundreds.

Makes me wonder how much the profit in 'office of profit under the Crown' is.
Estrella

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 01:45:12 PM »

A reminder of why we've gotten here, from a year less a week ago:

Well, he looks rather impatient awaiting his fate.
Estrella

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 11:44:17 AM »

Labour has one attacking Lib Dem drug policy

I realize this isn’t necessarily the best example, but still, genuine question: is there any “social issue” on which a Starmer government would be different from the current one?
Estrella

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 02:49:14 PM »

It would appear that Rochdale's divine punishment for its electoral past is to have not one but two extremely obnoxious former Labour MPs running in the by-election there, as Simon Danczuk has been announced as the Reform candidate...

Given the reason why he is a former Labour MP, is this a wise choice?

Quote from: Wikipedia
Originally elected as a member of the Labour Party, he was suspended from the party in 2015 after it emerged he had exchanged explicit messages with a 17-year-old girl. He has co-written two books, Smile for the Camera: The Double Life of Cyril Smith and Scandal at Dolphin Square.

Hm.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies