UK By-elections thread, 2021- (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:00:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021- (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 177645 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: May 07, 2021, 07:24:35 AM »

What I've learnt in the past few years is that exciting the electorate and having a positive image - or actively making people think you will lead a better government is more important than being moderate. Now you can't be so radical that you scare many people away - Corbyn
probably did that - but it does seem to me that you can run on a left wing platform and do well, as long as you are charismatic etc. Corbyn was not this, except to a select few people who happen to be active on Twitter or CLPs.

Reminds me of one pundit who was comparing Sanders to Corbyn. She said Bernie Sanders reminds people of an old cantankerous uncle who likes to argue but slips his nieces and grandkids a little cash. Corbyn however reminds people of a cold bookshop owner who keeps eyeing customers and guilting them to buy books.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 10:39:17 AM »

How much of an impact do you all think that Houchen's huge win played in the Tories' victory in Hartlepool?

I get that Houchen styles himself as independent from the Tory leadership but I find it difficult to imagine that there wasn't some kind of coat-tail effect here, especially since he won a second term with a majority of like 50%.

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 12:47:11 PM »

My study abroad roommate's cousin's best mate works at the Batley and Spen Gregg's, and is certain the Tories will win   /s

Anyway I'm really intrigued how this election turns out.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 08:15:16 AM »

Seems to me the best explanation is that Labour was seen as an industrial party, and Chester was not so transformed by the industrial revolution even as it depended on the downstream effects of industry (similar to Blackpool, also Tory till 1997).

As with similar seaside towns, the hospitality industry was traditionally also monolithically pro-Tory.

Brighton Pavilion is also a great example, being a safe-ish Tory seat until 1997.

I'm reminded of the film "The Damned United" when Brian Clough is baffled that his assistant took a job in Brighton: he asks him, "why would you want to be surrounded by all these Tories?"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies