UK By-elections thread, 2021- (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:12:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK By-elections thread, 2021- (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK By-elections thread, 2021-  (Read 170086 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: June 18, 2021, 02:40:51 AM »

Now, if the Tories gain Batley and Spen...

Plus, can we admire the Labour result? 1.6%; possibly the worst they've ever got in a by-election.

It just barely "beats" their 1.7% in the 1997 Winchester by-election.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 12:08:37 AM »

The reason why this by-election even happened to begin with was a huge embarrassment for the government.

The government has been undergoing a completely unrelated huge embarrassment for the past week.

And now this by-election result.  If only I had the words to describe its effect on the government…?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 04:27:28 AM »

Reports that Neil Tractor Parish is thinking of standing as an independent and has raised funds.

Would be hilarious.
Wait, so he will resign only to run again ?

Yes- he very much seemed to be pushed and is the type of loyalist who does what they’re told. He is claiming to want to run to represent the farming community who’ve been buggered in various ways by the Government.

I thought watching the farming community getting buggered was something that might appeal to Neil Parish?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 05:39:47 PM »

With the news of a rape arrest out today, we are presumably on track for yet another by-election in a Tory seat, although we don't know where just yet.  Shame it'll be too late to schedule it for June 23rd and have three on the same day (and all for the same sleazy reason).

I wondered how rare it is to have three by-elections on the same day, but I only had to go back to November 2012 to find not one but two instances (six by-elections overall!) all in the same month.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 06:29:34 PM »

Likelihood of a T&H poll?  It's nice to see not one but two (so far) confirming what we already suspected about Wakefield, but let's see where the real fun is getting started…
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 11:44:53 PM »

How plausible is it that Tory loyalists are temporarily switching to Lib Dem (or just staying home) just for this specific by-election, purely as a protest against Boris damaging the party's overall prospects?  I would imagine that even if Boris is still leading the party into the next GE they'll all fall back in line (because GEs actually matter), but for now?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 04:37:01 PM »

When will we know which MPs / constituencies are potentially about to be vacated?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 06:46:29 PM »

What ever happened with the eight MPs Boris had nominated for peerages?  Did we ever find out who they were?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 04:02:18 PM »

Seems to me the best explanation is that Labour was seen as an industrial party, and Chester was not so transformed by the industrial revolution even as it depended on the downstream effects of industry (similar to Blackpool, also Tory till 1997).

As with similar seaside towns, the hospitality industry was traditionally also monolithically pro-Tory.

Brighton Pavilion is also a great example, being a safe-ish Tory seat until 1997.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 02:19:35 PM »

Sarah Charmian Green (Green)

[7] Is it better to put your single issue in your first name or your surname?

Or better yet…
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 01:34:25 PM »

So that I'm following along correctly, if the Tories lose all three seats, it'll be Labour winning U&SR and S&A, while the Lib Dems take S&F?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 08:53:12 PM »

It's always worth bearing in mind that there may be a bit of expectation management going on in these sort of quotes, but a Guardian article gives Tory sources' views on each by-election a paragraph each.  Somerton & Frome is described as a "write-off", and Selby & Ainsty "tough", but they're a bit happier about Uxbridge & South Ruislip, although you get the impression that they don't actually expect to hold it.  That view of the latter two is reasonably consistent with the polls there, I suppose.

What polls have there actually been other than the two (?) that have been posted here?  One of which was that highly sketchy Lord Ashcroft one in Uxbridge & SR.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2023, 09:41:19 PM »

Neil Parish urgently en-route.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 11:08:15 PM »

I am intending to help out with canvassing, if I can in my hometown. Not something I've done politically for close to a decade.

Which color are you these days?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 11:05:50 AM »

I recall a certain individual spent the last year of his mayoralty of London as an MP at the same time.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2024, 09:20:23 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2024, 11:18:31 PM by Joe Republic »

Another Guardian article on Wellingborough: Labour are "not complacent", though if you were hoping for a Tory hold you'd struggle to find cause for optimism in the article.

Some might argue that Harrison’s campaign is failing even on basic optics: anyone visiting her Wellingborough HQ, hastily repurposed from Bone’s constituency office, is greeted by an abandoned car dumped directly outside, its tyres flat and interior filled with rubbish.

You almost want to pity the Tories, but schadenfreude is far more tempting.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2024, 04:10:17 PM »

We need a complete and total shutdown of Rochdale until we can figure out what is going on.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 01:10:04 PM »

On a rather grim related note, don't you just know that the phrase 'Yellow Wall' is going to be heard a lot during the next Parliament if the Lib Dems make major advances in the South of England. Is the Tory leader appealing to it, would an alternative Tory leader be more appealing to it etc.

There is also the fearsome subdivision of the Yellow Wall that has become dormant in recent years; the dreaded Corn Wall.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2024, 05:55:56 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68375450

But it was clear from speaking to voters in the rain-lashed town centre on Tuesday evening that some Labour supporters were either not aware of him being dropped by the party or did not care.

Truly bizarre. Not so much the 'don't care' part but the 'not aware' part. The dropping of Ali was the main national news headline for a couple of days. Surely anyone who is engaged enough to be voting in a by-election (or even aware that there is a by-election on) would also at least be glancing at national news headlines, especially when your town is a major subject in them. Were there people voting in the Bermondsey by-election of 1983 with the presumption that Peter Tatchell was a heterosexual Labour moderate?

In special elections over here, many voters who are engaged enough to turn out are still only interested in choosing between Candidate (D) or Candidate (R).  They often won't even know their preferred candidate's name.  Is it not the same way over there too, to some extent?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2024, 09:35:41 PM »

We need a complete and total shutdown of Rochdale until we can figure out what is going on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies